Packaging Boxed Items

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
Will be selling a spare boxed Rebo Band I have soon , just wondering the best way to package boxed items as I've never really sold boxed stuff before , I'm thinking maybe a box within a box ? Thanks

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Firstly, if the inner packaging is missing, carefully pad out the Rebo band box with CLEAN tissue paper, plastic bags or bubble wrap (that has no sellotape on it). The band must not be able to rattle around inside the Rebo box during transit and risk damaging either the contents or the Rebo box.

Next, make sure your Rebo Box is well protected on all 6 sides within a very sturdy, significantly larger, preferably double-walled cardboard box. Ideally, you want to allow for the possibility of some delivery monkey puncturing the side of the packing box and still not getting anywhere near the Rebo Band box within, so make sure there's at least a couple of inches protection on all six sides of the Rebo box.

Personally, I hate packing peanuts as they cover everything in dust, so I try to wrap boxed items in tissue paper first (when I have some), but don't sellotape it; there's no need and it risks touching the Rebo box and ripping off some of the litho. Then, bubble wrap the tissue-papered Rebo box (be VERY careful if reusing old bubble wrap to make sure there is no sellotape on it which could damage the Rebo box), then place it in your larger, very sturdy, double-walled box, packing out all six sides with CLEAN paper and or plastic bags and or more bubble wrap and or air bags. Make sure the Rebo box is nowhere near any side of the packing box, and also that it cannot move around within it.

Seal it and post it!

subzero

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
Personally, I hate packing peanuts as they cover everything in dust

Amen!, finally someone who hates it as much as me :lol:

It covers everything in dust and little bits, you can't pull the item out of the outer box without getting tons of packing peanuts all over the floor causing even more dust and bits all over your house, then you need to dispose of it all, you need to grab it all off the floor and empty the rest from the box and end up with a carrier bag full of the stuff.

You can't beat decent bubble wrap, you unwrap it, then roll it back up and tidily store for the next time you post something, with no mess!

Packing peanuts should be illegal. :evil:

Lindo

Sith Lord
I can never understand threads like this, pack something as you would want to receive it simple as really, if in doubt overkill it

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Lindo said:
I can never understand threads like this, pack something as you would want to receive it simple as really, if in doubt overkill it
I basically agree with you. It boils down to treating others as you would wish to be treated yourself :). But then again, what might seem obvious to one person may not be quite so clear to another. If spelling out how to package something properly helps someone else learn how to do that, and if that means another person receives that thing safely, that can only be a good thing for everyone in the long run, so I don't mind helping.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
If you send a MOC in a Star Case you can carefully pack out the case with padding (I cut a piece of tissue paper to size around the bubble to protect the card's litho, then use custom cut foam pieces to fill out all the void space in the Star Case. Carefully do this on all 5 sides of the bubble without crushing it). The idea is to protect the bubble and support it during transit so that if the figure rattles about inside the bubble, it stands far less chance of punching through the bubble. It's far harder to pack out an acrylic case in the same way (and impossible if it's sealed in an AFA / UKG prison), not to mention that if any dust or dirt gets inside the acrylic case, cleaning the inside of them is bloody awkward. Also, Star Cases have some flex to them and are far more forgiving of knocks and bumps than acrylic cases are.

But in essence, you are trying to prevent this from happening: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5371&start=60

Lindo

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
If you send a MOC in a Star Case you can carefully pack out the case with padding (I cut a piece of tissue paper to size around the bubble to protect the card's litho, then use custom cut foam pieces to fill out all the void space in the Star Case. Carefully do this on all 5 sides of the bubble without crushing it). The idea is to protect the bubble and support it during transit so that if the figure rattles about inside the bubble, it stands far less chance of punching through the bubble. It's far harder to pack out an acrylic case in the same way (and impossible if it's sealed in an AFA / UKG prison), not to mention that if any dust or dirt gets inside the acrylic case, cleaning the inside of them is bloody awkward. Also, Star Cases have some flex to them and are far more forgiving of knocks and bumps than acrylic cases are.

But in essence, you are trying to prevent this from happening: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5371&start=60
best way I find to stop that happening is to put cling film round the bubble, saves all the other carry on with packing peanuts etc

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Lindo said:
Snaketibe said:

best way I find to stop that happening is to put cling film round the bubble, saves all the other carry on with packing peanuts etc
That's a terrific suggestion, and one I hadn't thought of / wasn't aware of. Wrapping a few layers of clingfilm around the outside of the bubble should certainly help prevent the figure punching through it. Personally, I think I'd still want to pack out the Star Case with foam pieces as extra protection, as the clingfilm alone wouldn't do much to stop the entire bubble lifting off the card as has been seen in some nightmare photos, but it's still an excellent addition to protect a MOC in the post, and one I shall start using myself. Thanks for the tip :)

rdpla

Jedi Knight
-Depending on what the item to be packed is..
I also use some sort of tupperware box inside

Unless, someone jumps on it, it should be able to survive most things..

Rob

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom