Header image

First ever toys as a collector?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: First ever toys as a collector?

Postby Palifan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:51 am

A complete Farmboy Luke for me, can't really remember exactly when but I think it was around 2006. Wow, I'm pretty new to the game! :D

Ian

maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby maxf » Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:39 am

I bought a complete boxed Palitoy Falcon for £20 (still have it!) in about 1995. Probably a year later I bought my first moc - Palitoy 12 bk Vader for £80 or £90. I remember my dad going mental saying the sellers were taking advantage of me!
Detailed WTB list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243

Includes: Loose figures, Palitoy MOCs, Meccano 20bks, Vehicles, Mailers, Paperwork and more.

Cazza
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Cazza » Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:48 am

First carded figures were two Palitoy ROTJ Lograys for £7 ea in around 1995. Sold one years ago, but still have this one. Bought from a small comic shop in Cheltenham- was only around for a couple of years. I remember looking at a figure poster and seeing the last 17, most of which I didn't know existed. One of the guys who worked there said Amanaman was rare and could fetch £10-15! I was gobsmacked- SW figures worth that much? :lol:

20170822_092425.jpg

Also bought a loose Slave 1 from the same place. Was £3 I think, but no Carbonite. Was pleasantly surprised to find a mint Boba inside when I got home.

20170822_092439.jpg

20170822_092456.jpg

First boxed ships were Falcon and AT-AT from a private seller in Churchdown near Gloucester. Always wanted these as a kid. Think they were around £40 each. Also bought EV9D9, Luke Stormie and Pop-up R2 from this guy.

20170822_092508.jpg

20170822_092522.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:29 am

subzero wrote:
Dannywhiteley wrote:First figure as a 'colector' was a Chewie and a naked Vader for 25p each in 1993. First carded figure was a Palitoy Jedi Ree Yees for £3.50 in 1994 from Preston market and first ship was a loose Snowspeeder for a pound from a charity/junk shop around 1993.

It's weird for me reading that some people were out there buying as adult collectors in 1993, that was the time when I was still a little kid and they were still in my family toys that I actually was playing with in mud and dirt. :)

Yeah I find it wierd now that it was so soon after they were available in the shops. I remember seeing bins of Droids era boxed items in discount bins at TRU (I had no interest in the 'cartoon' stuff).

What's even more strange is that when POTF2 came out in 1995 it was only 8-9 years after proper vintage SW was available in shops at retail. That's ridiculous considering it was 22 years ago when POTF2 launched. It's ridiculous it was even called 'vintage' back in the mid-90's.

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:34 pm

Dannywhiteley wrote:
subzero wrote:
Dannywhiteley wrote:First figure as a 'colector' was a Chewie and a naked Vader for 25p each in 1993. First carded figure was a Palitoy Jedi Ree Yees for £3.50 in 1994 from Preston market and first ship was a loose Snowspeeder for a pound from a charity/junk shop around 1993.

It's weird for me reading that some people were out there buying as adult collectors in 1993, that was the time when I was still a little kid and they were still in my family toys that I actually was playing with in mud and dirt. :)

Yeah I find it wierd now that it was so soon after they were available in the shops. I remember seeing bins of Droids era boxed items in discount bins at TRU (I had no interest in the 'cartoon' stuff).

What's even more strange is that when POTF2 came out in 1995 it was only 8-9 years after proper vintage SW was available in shops at retail. That's ridiculous considering it was 22 years ago when POTF2 launched. It's ridiculous it was even called 'vintage' back in the mid-90's.

That is something I ponder on quite a bit and do find quite weird, how perspectives can change over time, 10 years passing when you get older seems like nothing, like whenever someone mentions 2008 or 09 that's almost a decade but only seems like a couple of years ago. But when you're younger 10 years earlier seemed like a lifetime away. Some things get called vintage by younger people where it's actually dismissed as vintage altogether by older people, like when you see SW toys on ebay that are from just say 2007 but the seller says they're vintage, I always suspect that seller is quite young.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Fawns61
New User
New User

Postby Fawns61 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:35 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
First carded figure was a ROTJ Prune Face 77 back from eBay in 2003. Sold most of my MOCs off but still got that one.

I had a spare MOC Prune Face which I sold on Ebay, possibly around that time. Would be a brilliant coincidence if it was the one that you bought, ha ha!

x-pack
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby x-pack » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:39 pm

Probably a bag of loose figures and ships that my step dad picked up from a carboot sale. It was a Christmas present, probably 1990. He knew I was interested in the stuff so got me this. Nothing amazing in there but it was a cracking start

reddogblues
Regular
Regular

Postby reddogblues » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Not including buying and receiving toys for the sole purposes of playing with (so early 80s) my first purchase as a "collector" would have been at a toy fair with my dad, who went for stuff for his model train set. I saw people selling all these old Star Wars toys and I couldn't believe they were now classed as "collectors items" and decided to make a purchase which I never managed to own back in the day. This would have been around 1993/1994 and it was a last 17 A-Wing pilot and weapon for 4 quid :D

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:52 pm

Fawns61 wrote:
TheJabbaWookie wrote:
First carded figure was a ROTJ Prune Face 77 back from eBay in 2003. Sold most of my MOCs off but still got that one.

I had a spare MOC Prune Face which I sold on Ebay, possibly around that time. Would be a brilliant coincidence if it was the one that you bought, ha ha!

Haven't got it anymore. Sold it off a couple of weeks ago to fund some PBP purchases. I'll see if I can re-upload the photos from the sale, would be a coincidence like you say, but with so many around who knows!
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe...
--------------------------------------------------------
Stop your Jibba-Jabba you Big Walking Carpet

gammoguard
New User
New User

Postby gammoguard » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:30 am

Timelines quite similar to others:

Loose figures - about a dozen of the last 17 from a market stall where I used to live (can't remember exact price but total was only double figures)

Carded figure - never bought one

Boxed vehicle - Y wing

Loose vehicle - Shuttle Tyderium (remember seeing it at a show and had to have it)

Still got them all as well as my toys as a kid

Fawns61
New User
New User

Postby Fawns61 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:16 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
Fawns61 wrote:
TheJabbaWookie wrote:

Haven't got it anymore. Sold it off a couple of weeks ago to fund some PBP purchases. I'll see if I can re-upload the photos from the sale, would be a coincidence like you say, but with so many around who knows!

Yeah, that would be good to see. Can't go back that far in my Ebay account I don't think to check who bought it.

benny100
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby benny100 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:54 pm

First loose figure fx-7 for a quid about 1996
First carded figure POTF Lando General about 2000
First boxed ship/vehicle Rebel Command Centre £25
Anything FX-7 related

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:22 pm

Boxed AT-AT in August 1994

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:49 am

First loose were in 1991 - think it was a Luke Stormie for around £1 that got me back in as I had no idea it existed.

Can't remember which vehicle I got first but I do remember buying an Imperial Troop Transport from York Races Car Boot for 5 p in 1993 :lol:

I bought a snowspeeder from the Corn Exchange in Manchester for £15 as a birthday treat about a year later.

First carded was a Klaatu in 1991/1992 from Carters toy shop in Bradford for around £2. I opened it (didnt know better in those days) and still have the card back and figure.

First carded not from a toy shop was an absolute beater Tri-log Emperor for a couple of quid from a York Races car boot in 1993. I sold it around 10 years ago and saw it pop up on facebook recently, cant believe that there was another that bad but really good it hasnt been U graded.

first boxed vehicle was a TIE Fighter in around 2006
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:19 am

Loose was a Yoda and a pop up R2.. kinda like that they have a synergy when I look at it
MoC was oddly (given the above) an Emperor's Royal Guard in literally the worst condition... still have it too!
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”