First ever toys as a collector?

subzero

Sith Lord
Here is the list of my first ever toys I purchased as a collector ( not as a kid )...

First loose figure ( 8D8 ) - price £6 in 2001
First carded figure ( Biker Scout ) - price £25 beater card in 2001
First boxed ship/vehicle ( Speeder Bike ) - price £95 mint in 2017

What's yours?

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
First loose figure (amanaman) I threw one back for a £1 when I was at a collectors fair as a kid not knowing it was star wars

First carded figure (leia Boussh) it was also the first carded figure I bought off ebay from a dealer called "jedi-diesels" paid £23 about 2004

First boxed ship/vehicle (Slave 1) Always wanted one as a kid and never found one so treated myself

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
First loose figures were a pair of jawas (one Vinyl Caped, one cloth Caped both with weapons) from a car boot in Colchester in the summer of 1996. Turns out the Vinyl Caped Jawa was a Repro blaster and cut down Obi Wan Kenobi original cape.

First carded figure was a ROTJ Prune Face 77 back from eBay in 2003. Sold most of my MOCs off but still got that one.

First boxed ship was Millennium Falcon. This was my favourite ship as a child and was the very first thing I bought when I opened my eBay account in 2003.

Hooch

Jedi Knight
1st loose: At-St Driver
1st Moc: Trilogo At-St Driver, bought from the same seller as my first loose fig
1st Ship/Vehicle: Loose Scout Walker for the driver :D but my first boxed vehicle was a Speeder Bike that I still have

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
First boxed figure POTF2 Luke Jedi £4.99

First Loose Droopy £2, Gamorian Guard £3 and Luke Farmboy £2

First Ship Speeder bike POTF2

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
As a collector...

First loose figure: Han Trench ~£3 in 1993
First carded figure: Teebo ~£5 in 1994
First boxed ship/vehicle: EDIT: Pomse's post reminded me I bought a Palitoy boxed AT-ST around 1994 from a comic mart for around £15.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Well I bought my own childhood collection back from my little brother :lol: after I had given him it because I was to old to play with it :lol:

I do not remember what was my first figure that I bought that was not from my childhood.

But I remember my first box that I bought that was not from my childhood. I bought them from another dane that was also a collector it was an AT-ST with box and a Ewok Combat Glider with box :D

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
First figure as a 'colector' was a Chewie and a naked Vader for 25p each in 1993. First carded figure was a Palitoy Jedi Ree Yees for £3.50 in 1994 from Preston market and first ship was a loose Snowspeeder for a pound from a charity/junk shop around 1993.

subzero

Sith Lord
Dannywhiteley said:
First figure as a 'colector' was a Chewie and a naked Vader for 25p each in 1993. First carded figure was a Palitoy Jedi Ree Yees for £3.50 in 1994 from Preston market and first ship was a loose Snowspeeder for a pound from a charity/junk shop around 1993.

It's weird for me reading that some people were out there buying as adult collectors in 1993, that was the time when I was still a little kid and they were still in my family toys that I actually was playing with in mud and dirt. :)

Robstyley

Sith Lord
I was given a loose Han & Chewie by one of my best mates, which started it all. Hence the profile pic. First thing I bought was a childhood collection in a Vader carry case off ebay, about 60 odd figures and loads of accessories in about 2008.. for £70 I think...! :D

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
I can't remember what the first loose figure I bought was, but I'm pretty sure the first MOC I bought was a Jedi Logray in 1994. From memory it cost me £12.

Dr_Ball_MD

Jedi Master
Supporter
I had a collection around 2011 but had to sell it all.

I started my loose collection again in 2014 with these two!

14296483655_3a8a12ae84_c.jpg

subzero

Sith Lord
Some of these early 90's prices i'm reading, oh my :shock:

I know money back then had more value anyway, but the prices were still so cheap!

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
A boxed Palitoy AT-AT, no less!

I had found my childhood AT-AT, so I took the parts i needed to complete 'my' Walker and sold what was left of the bought one. Then the floodgates opened.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm struggling to remember, but it would have been a bit of a beater! It was 1993 and it took me a few months to find a source for good condition complete figures, so before then I was buying incomplete 'well-loved' ones :)

Palifan

Sith Lord
A complete Farmboy Luke for me, can't really remember exactly when but I think it was around 2006. Wow, I'm pretty new to the game! :D

Ian

maxf

Jedi Master
I bought a complete boxed Palitoy Falcon for £20 (still have it!) in about 1995. Probably a year later I bought my first moc - Palitoy 12 bk Vader for £80 or £90. I remember my dad going mental saying the sellers were taking advantage of me!

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
First carded figures were two Palitoy ROTJ Lograys for £7 ea in around 1995. Sold one years ago, but still have this one. Bought from a small comic shop in Cheltenham- was only around for a couple of years. I remember looking at a figure poster and seeing the last 17, most of which I didn't know existed. One of the guys who worked there said Amanaman was rare and could fetch £10-15! I was gobsmacked- SW figures worth that much? :lol:

20170822_092425.jpg

Also bought a loose Slave 1 from the same place. Was £3 I think, but no Carbonite. Was pleasantly surprised to find a mint Boba inside when I got home.

20170822_092439.jpg

20170822_092456.jpg

First boxed ships were Falcon and AT-AT from a private seller in Churchdown near Gloucester. Always wanted these as a kid. Think they were around £40 each. Also bought EV9D9, Luke Stormie and Pop-up R2 from this guy.

20170822_092508.jpg

20170822_092522.jpg

Dannywhiteley

Jedi Master
subzero said:
Dannywhiteley said:

It's weird for me reading that some people were out there buying as adult collectors in 1993, that was the time when I was still a little kid and they were still in my family toys that I actually was playing with in mud and dirt. :)

Yeah I find it wierd now that it was so soon after they were available in the shops. I remember seeing bins of Droids era boxed items in discount bins at TRU (I had no interest in the 'cartoon' stuff).

What's even more strange is that when POTF2 came out in 1995 it was only 8-9 years after proper vintage SW was available in shops at retail. That's ridiculous considering it was 22 years ago when POTF2 launched. It's ridiculous it was even called 'vintage' back in the mid-90's.

subzero

Sith Lord
Dannywhiteley said:
subzero said:
Dannywhiteley said:

Yeah I find it wierd now that it was so soon after they were available in the shops. I remember seeing bins of Droids era boxed items in discount bins at TRU (I had no interest in the 'cartoon' stuff).

What's even more strange is that when POTF2 came out in 1995 it was only 8-9 years after proper vintage SW was available in shops at retail. That's ridiculous considering it was 22 years ago when POTF2 launched. It's ridiculous it was even called 'vintage' back in the mid-90's.

That is something I ponder on quite a bit and do find quite weird, how perspectives can change over time, 10 years passing when you get older seems like nothing, like whenever someone mentions 2008 or 09 that's almost a decade but only seems like a couple of years ago. But when you're younger 10 years earlier seemed like a lifetime away. Some things get called vintage by younger people where it's actually dismissed as vintage altogether by older people, like when you see SW toys on ebay that are from just say 2007 but the seller says they're vintage, I always suspect that seller is quite young.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom