Ever Regret Showing Your Collection on SWFUK?

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
There are a great many superb collections shown in the 'Vintage Showcase' and 'Latest Acquisitions' sections of this forum, and I really do enjoy looking at them (when sodding Photo bucket allows :-(). I appreciate that the decision whether or not to show your collection here is a personal choice, and I certainly would never criticise anyone for choosing either option. However, for those generous souls that have shared some or all of their collections on this forum for others to enjoy, I was wondering whether anyone has ever had reason to regret doing so? I would certainly like to hope that the vast majority of members have never had anything but positive (or at worst, neutral) experiences as a result of posting their pictures here, but has anyone ever experienced anything negative from it?

It's a very sad state of affairs to say this, but with Vintage prices going through the roof, does the thought of potentially advertising what you own to burglars deter anyone from posting pictures of their collection, or has it made anyone ever regret having done so?

Jez

Sith Lord
Never. I've no knowledge of anything bad coming of people showcasing their stuff.
Even Edd has his collection stolen but i don't think that was because he showcased it. Actually, because he showcased it someone was able to spot something that Edd had had stolen !
I say, show away boys, show away,

subzero

Sith Lord
How many people on here have actually been robbed in the time since this site has been up?.. I mean the cases where it's known or strongly suspected that it was a direct result of posting pics on here?

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I think putting loads of pictures of your collection on the forum is one thing. It feels like a kind of closed community, but I do wonder about the people who post valuables all over Facebook and then when on holiday put updates from the airport, hotel, etc. Would that effect your insurance if you got burgled? I find the security settings on social media confusing, how sure can you be that everyone viewing your stuff is legit? Tricky question.

Lindo

Sith Lord
Darth Bobby said:
I think putting loads of pictures of your collection on the forum is one thing. It feels like a kind of closed community, but I do wonder about the people who post valuables all over Facebook and then when on holiday put updates from the airport, hotel, etc. Would that effect your insurance if you got burgled? I find the security settings on social media confusing, how sure can you be that everyone viewing your stuff is legit? Tricky question.
It does mate, if you get burgled and you have advertised that you away insurance will tell you to **** off, **** I know but another way for the insurance company to slime their way out of paying

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Lindo said:
Darth Bobby said:
It does mate, if you get burgled and you have advertised that you away insurance will tell you to **** off, **** I know but another way for the insurance company to slime their way out of paying

I get well paranoid about stuff like that. I went on holiday a few years back, when I got back I said to my mother I'll show you the pictures. She said she'd already seen them on her mate at works FB on her phone. I thought I'd done the security setting's but it was something like 'a friend of a friend of a friend had permission to view my profile?' I ain't got six hours to study the FB settings and terms and conditions, that's why I only put pictures of me pissed up in the nineties on there.

subzero

Sith Lord
I don't do facebook or even have a 'smart' phone, I prefer to use a very basic phone with actual buttons on it that does nothing else but make calls & texts lol, technology is too intrusive these days.

Just my opinion but I believe to never publicly show your real name & location ( even the city name ) anywhere on the net, you'd be surprised what people can find out just from that info with public database records, your exact address, phone numbers, credit reports, other peoples names & details of who are living in your house ( really ), all this stuff can be googled in seconds.

And if you want to keep your social media account private ( apart from the security settings ) never download a picture from your account to upload into forums, the data on that pic shows the source of the image which shows the address of your social media account. If you do use one of those pics then make sure to upload it to an image host site then download it again and use that.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I do have, an all be it "tiny" presences on FB, as this is where a lot of stuff is sold these days.
But I don't post anything, I have no "friends" :? Much to my wife's amusement and just don't understand the incessant need to tell the world now interesting your life is! :roll:
I was trying to do a deal on a figure the other day and was asked if my profile was real, as I had no friends or posts, so he was concerned that I was a genuine buyer, just can't win these days!
This piece of advice was in another thread that recommended turning off the GPS setting when taking pictures before you post them as this GPS data is in the picture data, and could lead to your home address.
God knows how this data is obtained but I do always do this now regardless :!:
To answer the original question, I feel that posting here is safe, as the only people that even know my name are those that I trust, and so may this continue as I do feel that here is filled with like minded people. :wink:

Robstyley

Sith Lord
No... where else would you show it? On a knitting forum? :lol: This is the only place to show it, and the only place anyone would give a **** about it. We're amongst friends, I love to see peoples collections. Whether it's just a few loose bit's and pieces or a big run of Palitoy cards it doesn't matter. If someones put it together, displays it nice and loves it I fully respect that.

Section 8

Sith Lord
Threads like this will put the idea in people minds. I'm thinking of robbing some of you lot right now. You lot must have loads of **** that I can't afford.

yoda

Sith Lord
Yes I can understand how it can worry others. I am fine with it because I don't really have anything of great value in my collection. Only a few mocs that's about it but nothing super rare or expensive.
I think now it is even harder if your collection was stolen to move it on. With all those Facebook groups and forums I think you would have a good chance of hopefully catching the culprit unless he kept them for himself. But as we all know once you start putting any pictures on the web or personal information up you don't really have any control anymore over it.
Buy a good guard dog and you'll be fine.
A Doberman or Tibetan Mastiff have a very sobering effect on anyone once they get aggressive. Although you'd probably end up having to sell you entire collection for funds to feed them :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Thanks for all the replies and views so far, even Section 8's - be warned sir; I have an attack tortoise trained to sleep at the first sign of an intruder! ;-) As stated in my original post, I hoped the vast majority of experiences resulting from showing your collections on this forum would be positive. I'm glad to see that (so far, at least) no-one has reported anything negative from their generosity in sharing their pictures.

Fortunately, I have zero social media presence and even less intention of joining Shitbook and the like (I mean really, people; what's the ****ing point? Zuckerberg makes billions by exploiting every Tom, Dick and Harry's delusional belief that the rest of the world gives the slightest of shits about how much they enjoyed their fish and chips last night, or in seeing a photo of their first turd of the day... Other than that, I think it's brilliant and can't wait to join, but I digress...), and yes of course advertising exactly who you are, what you own, where you live and where the burglars can find a spare key to your front door is utter insanity. I appreciate this forum is a very different animal to Crapbook, and I sincerely believe that the overwhelming majority of regular members here are decent, trustworthy people, and yes seeing the pictures posted here will usually only be of real interest to those of us who can be bothered to sign up as members and seek them out... However, I doubt I'd be alone if I admitted that there remains an itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny (yellow polka dot... sorry) nagging fear in the back of my mind that some complete and utter Trump out there might try to exploit things like collection photos for their own wicked ends.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
Thanks for all the replies and views so far, even Section 8's - be warned sir; I have an attack tortoise trained to sleep at the first sign of an intruder! ;-) As stated in my original post, I hoped the vast majority of experiences resulting from showing your collections on this forum would be positive. I'm glad to see that (so far, at least) no-one has reported anything negative from their generosity in sharing their pictures.

Fortunately, I have zero social media presence and even less intention of joining Shitbook and the like (I mean really, people; what's the ****ing point? Zuckerberg makes billions by exploiting every Tom, Dick and Harry's delusional belief that the rest of the world gives the slightest of shits about how much they enjoyed their fish and chips last night, or in seeing a photo of their first turd of the day... Other than that, I think it's brilliant and can't wait to join, but I digress...), and yes of course advertising exactly who you are, what you own, where you live and where the burglars can find a spare key to your front door is utter insanity. I appreciate this forum is a very different animal to Crapbook, and I sincerely believe that the overwhelming majority of regular members here are decent, trustworthy people, and yes seeing the pictures posted here will usually only be of real interest to those of us who can be bothered to sign up as members and seek them out... However, I doubt I'd be alone if I admitted that there remains an itsy, bitsy, teeny, weeny (yellow polka dot... sorry) nagging fear in the back of my mind that some complete and utter Trump out there might try to exploit things like collection photos for their own wicked ends.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
My sentiments exactly, must be a different generation thing :!:

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
As mentioned above I had a large chunk of my collection stolen back in 2007. Although I wouldn't pin it entirely on the forum, the fact I had various limelights on here, Rebel Scum and my website no doubt acted as a 'shopping list' as the thief was a family friend and 'fellow collector' who was a member on all these sites. This is why since the theft I have never done limelights larger than a dozen or so items together, I am too paranoid now to show photos of my entire collection all together.

ODB

Jedi Master
Some food for thought is that there has been another collection theft, this time GI Joe/Action Force. As far as I am aware he's never really limelighted anything either, so I think its just who knows you have stuff regardless of whether or not you publicize it.

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I feel a little safer placing pictures on a forum but I would never advertise on Facebook, or eBay for that matter. I wince every time someone includes a picture of their entire collection they're selling off on eBay thinking it might get them a few more quid. Or you might just lose it all...

I stumbled across a thread on eBay where someone was complaining about the fact you could not add the holiday feature if you didn't have a business account. He had loads of items for sale and didn't want to pull them down for the 2 weeks he was on holiday, because of lost revenue.

He clearly thought it was more cost effective to leave his 300 items up for sale, tell everyone he was on holiday and advertise his full address to the entire eBay community.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
TheJabbaWookie said:
I feel a little safer placing pictures on a forum but I would never advertise on Facebook, or eBay for that matter. I wince every time someone includes a picture of their entire collection they're selling off on eBay thinking it might get them a few more quid. Or you might just lose it all...

I stumbled across a thread on eBay where someone was complaining about the fact you could not add the holiday feature if you didn't have a business account. He had loads of items for sale and didn't want to pull them down for the 2 weeks he was on holiday, because of lost revenue.

He clearly thought it was more cost effective to leave his 300 items up for sale, tell everyone he was on holiday and advertise his full address to the entire eBay community.
There's no accounting for 'intelligence'! ;-)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
edd_jedi said:
As mentioned above I had a large chunk of my collection stolen back in 2007. Although I wouldn't pin it entirely on the forum, the fact I had various limelights on here, Rebel Scum and my website no doubt acted as a 'shopping list' as the thief was a family friend and 'fellow collector' who was a member on all these sites. This is why since the theft I have never done limelights larger than a dozen or so items together, I am too paranoid now to show photos of my entire collection all together.
I feel desperately sorry for you having suffered that, Edd. It's one of my personal nightmares! I'm not sure if the thieving scumbag being a 'friend' makes it worse for you or not, but it's still quite horrendous. I hope you managed to get a good chunk of it back again (I suppose it's too much to hope you got it all back?).

I know that thefts like yours are, thankfully, very rare, but they are exactly what made me start this thread in the first place :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom