Header image

Ever Regret Showing Your Collection on SWFUK?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
ODB
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Ever Regret Showing Your Collection on SWFUK?

Postby ODB » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:11 pm

Some food for thought is that there has been another collection theft, this time GI Joe/Action Force. As far as I am aware he's never really limelighted anything either, so I think its just who knows you have stuff regardless of whether or not you publicize it.
Beyond Good, Beyond Evil, Beyond Your Wildest Imagination.........

TheJabbaWookie
Regular
Regular

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:56 pm

I feel a little safer placing pictures on a forum but I would never advertise on Facebook, or eBay for that matter. I wince every time someone includes a picture of their entire collection they're selling off on eBay thinking it might get them a few more quid. Or you might just lose it all...

I stumbled across a thread on eBay where someone was complaining about the fact you could not add the holiday feature if you didn't have a business account. He had loads of items for sale and didn't want to pull them down for the 2 weeks he was on holiday, because of lost revenue.

He clearly thought it was more cost effective to leave his 300 items up for sale, tell everyone he was on holiday and advertise his full address to the entire eBay community.
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe...
--------------------------------------------------------
Stop your Jibba-Jabba you Big Walking Carpet

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:19 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:I feel a little safer placing pictures on a forum but I would never advertise on Facebook, or eBay for that matter. I wince every time someone includes a picture of their entire collection they're selling off on eBay thinking it might get them a few more quid. Or you might just lose it all...

I stumbled across a thread on eBay where someone was complaining about the fact you could not add the holiday feature if you didn't have a business account. He had loads of items for sale and didn't want to pull them down for the 2 weeks he was on holiday, because of lost revenue.

He clearly thought it was more cost effective to leave his 300 items up for sale, tell everyone he was on holiday and advertise his full address to the entire eBay community.

There's no accounting for 'intelligence'! ;-)

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:34 pm

edd_jedi wrote:As mentioned above I had a large chunk of my collection stolen back in 2007. Although I wouldn't pin it entirely on the forum, the fact I had various limelights on here, Rebel Scum and my website no doubt acted as a 'shopping list' as the thief was a family friend and 'fellow collector' who was a member on all these sites. This is why since the theft I have never done limelights larger than a dozen or so items together, I am too paranoid now to show photos of my entire collection all together.

I feel desperately sorry for you having suffered that, Edd. It's one of my personal nightmares! I'm not sure if the thieving scumbag being a 'friend' makes it worse for you or not, but it's still quite horrendous. I hope you managed to get a good chunk of it back again (I suppose it's too much to hope you got it all back?).

I know that thefts like yours are, thankfully, very rare, but they are exactly what made me start this thread in the first place :(

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:12 am

Never, the only thing I regret is that I used photobucket so now the pictures does not work :roll:

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:23 am

Another tip iv'e thought of is if you're paranoid about potential thieves visiting the site to look through your limelight collection, then maybe you could post up your collection for the community on here to view and enjoy, and then delete the post after 1 week once most on here have seen it. That would save it from being a permanent post on this site for a potential thief ( friend or not ) to come back to in future and dig it up to use it as a 'shopping list'

Just a thought!
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

x-pack
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby x-pack » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:04 pm

No. Not really. But I wouldn't post the same photos on Facebook. More people that know where I live on there, and that's a worry. All it takes is a friend of a friend to tell someone else. I know people who know complete bellends. The sort I wouldn't trust in my house.

Star Wars has such a huge value attached now, it'd be attractive to thieving shits. Probably as easy to shift as jewellery.

The other thing I bother about on Facebook are sellers. Many I've never heard of. You buy something and they have your address. And they know there's a fair bet you'll have a fairly valuable collection. Just takes one

talldroid77
Regular
Regular

Postby talldroid77 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 12:35 am

It's something I've thought about before I admit. Good thread. Fbook is likely riskier id say. Edd's comment is quite worrying. Deleting after a week is an idea - better than leaving up a permanent advertisement to potential thieves.

I've never put up pics of everything anywhere. Just parts of specific interest.

I am however considering showcasing my security system including the concrete bunker, naked hidden high voltage cables, machine gun fencing and pack of Rottweilers that currently protect my collection :lol: :lol:

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:21 am

talldroid77 wrote:I am however considering showcasing my security system including the concrete bunker, naked hidden high voltage cables, machine gun fencing and pack of Rottweilers that currently protect my collection :lol: :lol:

Yes good idea :lol: I have a security camera now, it was only about £25 and works great. Gives me peace of mind when on holiday.

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:41 am

x-pack wrote:No. Not really. But I wouldn't post the same photos on Facebook. More people that know where I live on there, and that's a worry. All it takes is a friend of a friend to tell someone else. I know people who know complete bellends. The sort I wouldn't trust in my house.

Star Wars has such a huge value attached now, it'd be attractive to thieving shits. Probably as easy to shift as jewellery.

The other thing I bother about on Facebook are sellers. Many I've never heard of. You buy something and they have your address. And they know there's a fair bet you'll have a fairly valuable collection. Just takes one

This may help some of you with regards FB purchases and addresses; I do not get anything posted to my home address, I get parcels posted to work.
I've done this ever since I started on eBay, has always worked for me.

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:41 am

Mini99 wrote:
x-pack wrote:No. Not really. But I wouldn't post the same photos on Facebook. More people that know where I live on there, and that's a worry. All it takes is a friend of a friend to tell someone else. I know people who know complete bellends. The sort I wouldn't trust in my house.

This may help some of you with regards FB purchases and addresses; I do not get anything posted to my home address, I get parcels posted to work.
I've done this ever since I started on eBay, has always worked for me.

That's a great idea. Many a time I've posted to a workplace and assumed it was just for delivery convenience but your idea makes sense.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:30 pm

Word of mouth is something to be very careful of, you have no idea who it could spread to. I remember a few years ago I was with a mate who was a boiler engineer and I went with him to a job just for the sake of going and helping out with bits n bobs for a little while, and the house we went to the owner had died not long before but his immediate family were having a load of work done on the house. Me and my mate turned up and my other two mates were already there working doing plumbing and tiling etc, one of them had been going into the loft ( yes you know where this is going ) to do some electrical work or something and because he knew I was Star Wars mad he said to me the loft was full... full of cardboard boxes completely filled with vintage SW toys and figures all mint in the boxes.

My eyes lit up and I asked him several times to let me have a look ( who wouldn't wanna at least have a look :shock: ) but he didn't let me also because he knew I was SW mad and would prob get a bit carried away haha. I still wonder to this day what was up there and even if anything has been touched or sold since. My point is though that I could have been a bit of a cunt and decided to go back there to steal them all or gave somebody else the tip, I knew where the house was and knew that it was currently not being lived in by anyone for a while, it could have been so easy!

Be mindful of who knows what you have, and be aware of what you have on display when you invite guests over and keep things out of sight if possible, word spreads like wildfire!
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”