Header image

Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby subzero » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:30 pm

What are some of the funny ( or lame ) excuses you tell yourself to justify spending more money on another figure when you know you really shouldn't?, some of mine lately have been...

"Well iv'e already spent 'x amount' on figures last week so another couple of figures won't hurt"

"I won't see one of these again in this condition for a long time so I NEED to buy this now"

"I'm going to buy that figure eventually anyway so I might as well get it now"

:lol:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

User avatar
Twin30mm
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Bristol UK

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby Twin30mm » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:39 pm

"If I splash out on this item, I'll sell something to even things out."

Of course, the selling bit never happens :D

TBH, I'm pretty good when it comes to buying.
I've bottled countless auctions at the last second, when my conscience has kicked in.
"I want more life......f*cker"
WTB List: http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26380

User avatar
subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby subzero » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:00 pm

Twin30mm wrote:"If I splash out on this item, I'll sell something to even things out."

Of course, the selling bit never happens :D


Lool same here, I forgot about that one, I still have a ton of games to sell that I was supposed to get rid of 2 weeks ago :lol:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1185
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:26 pm
Location: Durham

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby Lindo » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:37 pm

Shit there's a gap in my cabinet which looks shit, quick buy something to fill it
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

User avatar
Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 523
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 1:40 pm

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby Darth Bobby » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:58 pm

I repeat: "Well I just spent x amount on the mortgage/ gas bill/ council tax/ phone bill- why shouldn't I buy something for me. I mean, that's what I work for. What's the point if you can't treat yourself once in a while."

Or I say, "I'll buy this and won't buy anything til after Easter/ Christmas/ payday/ etc."

Or "Well I've just spunked a load a few more quid won't hurt. Might as well go for broke."

Or my favourite: "well if I buy multiple items I'm saving on postage so in the long run it's a real bargain." As mentioned before the special Star Wars maths helps greatly.

That's part of the fun, the fear guilt and remorse.

User avatar
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 5988
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:43 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby edd_jedi » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:27 am

"It's an investment, better than spending money on beer" :oops:

User avatar
Dr_Ball_MD
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 501
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: Sutton, Surrey

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby Dr_Ball_MD » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:09 am

"I'm pretty sure I can survive a week without food".
Image

User avatar
subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby subzero » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:59 am

Dr_Ball_MD wrote:"I'm pretty sure I can survive a week without food".


:lol:

Some funny excuses here, iv'e pretty much used all of the ones mentioned ( accept for the no food excuse haha ).
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

User avatar
Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 803
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby Snaketibe » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:47 am

What would I rather own? This really nice Star Wars thing that I really want and will enjoy looking at for years, or these few pieces of paper with the Queen's head on them? ;-)

User avatar
yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1664
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:13 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby yoda » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:06 am

subzero wrote:
Twin30mm wrote:"If I splash out on this item, I'll sell something to even things out."

Of course, the selling bit never happens :D


Lool same here, I forgot about that one, I still have a ton of games to sell that I was supposed to get rid of 2 weeks ago :lol:


This is exactly what happens me also!
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.~Vernon Law~

User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:34 am

I've just completed the full run so I thought that would be it, done and dusted as it had been my goal for a while.

But lately I've been telling myself "well it's not really the same figure".

I've applied that to:
1. Lando Calrissian (teeth/ no teeth)
2. Han Trench Coat (plain lapels/ camo lapels)
3. Luke Jedi (green saber & snap cape/ blue saber & stitched cape)
4. Yoda (orange snake/ brown snake)

And they're not exactly cheap variants to get hold of... :D
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe...
--------------------------------------------------------
Stop your Jibba-Jabba you Big Walking Carpet

User avatar
subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby subzero » Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:59 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:I've just completed the full run so I thought that would be it, done and dusted as it had been my goal for a while.

But lately I've been telling myself "well it's not really the same figure".

I've applied that to:
1. Lando Calrissian (teeth/ no teeth)
2. Han Trench Coat (plain lapels/ camo lapels)
3. Luke Jedi (green saber & snap cape/ blue saber & stitched cape)
4. Yoda (orange snake/ brown snake)

And they're not exactly cheap variants to get hold of... :D


Yup iv'e gradually been going down that road too, just started out with the aim to get a nice basic set of the figures I wanted ( there's still quite a few I don't want ), but very slowly have started eyeing up variants, next thing I know I spent £100 on a Tri Fett when originally I only wanted just a standard Fett haha!

FYI, I now have four R2-D2's when I was convinced when I first started collecting I would have been satisfied with one lol 8)
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

User avatar
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:11 pm
Location: Somewhere Down The Rabbit Hole

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:34 pm

subzero wrote:Yup iv'e gradually been going down that road too, just started out with the aim to get a nice basic set of the figures I wanted ( there's still quite a few I don't want ), but very slowly have started eyeing up variants, next thing I know I spent £100 on a Tri Fett when originally I only wanted just a standard Fett haha!

FYI, I now have four R2-D2's when I was convinced when I first started collecting I would have been satisfied with one lol 8)


Yep, I've got the two C-3POs and three R2-D2s from the main collection. Told myself long ago they're different figures, just like buying the different Lukes or Hans. Haven't got into collecting The Droids Series yet but you never know...

Lately I've started collecting the Spanish line. Of course my latest excuse is that they're a completely different kettle of fish altogether. Haven't told the wife mind :lol:
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe...
--------------------------------------------------------
Stop your Jibba-Jabba you Big Walking Carpet

User avatar
subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby subzero » Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:11 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
subzero wrote:Yup iv'e gradually been going down that road too, just started out with the aim to get a nice basic set of the figures I wanted ( there's still quite a few I don't want ), but very slowly have started eyeing up variants, next thing I know I spent £100 on a Tri Fett when originally I only wanted just a standard Fett haha!

FYI, I now have four R2-D2's when I was convinced when I first started collecting I would have been satisfied with one lol 8)


Yep, I've got the two C-3POs and three R2-D2s from the main collection. Told myself long ago they're different figures, just like buying the different Lukes or Hans. Haven't got into collecting The Droids Series yet but you never know...

Lately I've started collecting the Spanish line. Of course my latest excuse is that they're a completely different kettle of fish altogether. Haven't told the wife mind :lol:


I suppose when it comes to the characters in different costumes they defo are different figures, like R2 sensorscope or solid top they're completely different variants. But when it comes to simple paint variations or figures from a different country manufacturer like PBP but the exact same costumed figure then it really is after all the exact same figure in my mind, the only paint variation iv'e dabbled into is Fett which I have 3 of now. As for all the other characters i'm still believing I will never collect any other paint variants, but we all know like you do that can quickly change haha!
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

User avatar
Twin30mm
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 256
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:06 pm
Location: Bristol UK

Re: Excuses you give yourself to buy MOOAARR!!!

Postby Twin30mm » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:10 pm

subzero wrote:I suppose when it comes to the characters in different costumes they defo are different figures, like R2 sensorscope or solid top they're completely different variants. But when it comes to simple paint variations or figures from a different country manufacturer like PBP but the exact same costumed figure then it really is after all the exact same figure in my mind, the only paint variation iv'e dabbled into is Fett which I have 3 of now. As for all the other characters i'm still believing I will never collect any other paint variants, but we all know like you do that can quickly change haha!


I've found variant collecting a very slippery slope.
Just where do you draw the line???

After completing the basic loose run a few years ago, my intention was to just collect the major variants e.g. VC Jawa, Blue Snag etc.
This has now mutated into collecting the major COO variants of each figure........and so it goes on.

I'm convinced I'll still be scouring Ebay for a Molded Legs Han Hoth, when I'm in my 70s :D
"I want more life......f*cker"
WTB List: http://starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26380


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gogsfett, ODB and 4 guests