Header image

Question Re: Double Telescoping Lightsaber

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
phreatobite
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Question Re: Double Telescoping Lightsaber

Postby phreatobite » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:22 pm

Is the length of the inner considered a secret? I half-remember that the exact length was kept close to collectors chests to help stop fakers, at years early on.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Question Re: Double Telescoping Lightsaber

Postby subzero » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:10 pm

So they should keep it secret too, I read a while ago that repro makers have tried previously to trick owners of the sabers into giving out details on the exact size, but they told them incorrect sizes on purpose to throw them off.

I'm pretty sure what I read was to do with the DT saber inner section!
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:14 pm

Yes, I tried to determine the exact measurement recently so I could check if mine is not missing anything off the end. I struggled ... :roll:

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:17 pm

Ps if I was planning on producing the moulds to fake DT sabres, I'd just spend £800-1000 upfront to buy a real one, copy it and sell it on for a profit in 12 months time.

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:13 pm

Dannywhiteley wrote:Ps if I was planning on producing the moulds to fake DT sabres, I'd just spend £800-1000 upfront to buy a real one, copy it and sell it on for a profit in 12 months time.

All too true, I'm afraid.

I'm not for one moment condoning scumbags who would try to pass off a repro as genuine, but that's something I never really understood, as keeping the information a 'secret' was never going to work in a million years given how relatively plentiful the DT Luke is. Unless the Vader and or Ben inner saber filaments are a different length / shape to the Luke's (and I'm guessing they're not, but then again, I don't own any genuine DT sabers, so I cannot say for sure), then any half-way near competent repro maker wouldn't have much trouble finding out the exact dimensions, if they so wished.

Also, if the exact inner dimensions are so top secret, how would a genuine owner of one be able to tell if theirs was real or not? Presumably no-one would be willing to give them the information to verify it for fear of them being an unscrupulous repro-merchant posing as a genuine owner! :wink:

I don't mean to belittle the thought-process or intention behind the effort, but it certainly seemed like a completely futile one to me. Still, why make it easy for the repro makers, I suppose...

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Lindo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:55 pm

Dannywhiteley wrote:Yes, I tried to determine the exact measurement recently so I could check if mine is not missing anything off the end. I struggled ... :roll:

Exactly pretty easy to find out really, just buy one measure it sell it fake it, not too much of a secret
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”