Header image

When Did The Variant Thing Start ?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: When Did The Variant Thing Start ?

Postby subzero » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:11 pm

What's this Attck of The Clones? :lol:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:56 pm

subzero wrote:What's this Attck of The Clones? :lol:

It sometimes seems that way! Personally, I prefer to think of it as Attack of the Teeth, Head Widths and Belt Buckles :wink:

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Sat Sep 09, 2017 5:28 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
subzero wrote:What's this Attck of The Clones? :lol:

It sometimes seems that way! Personally, I prefer to think of it as Attack of the Teeth, Head Widths and Belt Buckles :wink:

Attack of The Old Smoothies :lol:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:41 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
bosk70 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:I hate to do this to you (not least because this sort of thing is presumably exactly what non-variant collectors don't care for :-)), but there are at least three different variants of Lando's belt buckle, not two (please excuse the poor photo quality; they weren't actually taken with a view to focus on the buckle, so they're a little bit blurred :-)):

Narrow with no vertical line:

Narrow with no vertical line.jpg
Narrow with a vertical line:

Narrow with vertical line.jpg
Wide with a vertical line:

Wide with vertical line.jpg

Thanks for the info Snaketibe..... now I have the middle one to look out for now... :o no.. no.. i'm not into variant's :D dam but they would look good all lined up... no.. no :lol:

All lined up, you say? ;-)

Lando Line-up 1.jpg
Lando Line-up 2.jpg

Really nice line up, a thing of beauty, puts my two to shame and I forgot about the face variants of teeth etc. it goes on and on and on :D
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

jared007
Regular
Regular

Postby jared007 » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:04 am

I think it has emerged as a way to keep on collecting once you have a set completed. I actually don't think many of us completed full sets back in the 90's which is why the variant thing never came up. And now that many of us have, and we have a bit more disposable cash these days it's the next thing to do.
Digital vintage price guide and portfolio system: http://www.starwarstracker.com

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:13 am

bosk70 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:
bosk70 wrote:
Thanks for the info Snaketibe..... now I have the middle one to look out for now... :o no.. no.. i'm not into variant's :D dam but they would look good all lined up... no.. no :lol:

All lined up, you say? ;-)

Lando Line-up 1.jpg
Lando Line-up 2.jpg

Really nice line up, a thing of beauty, puts my two to shame and I forgot about the face variants of teeth etc. it goes on and on and on :D

I know you were probably joking, but never feel bad about only having two. For many, many years that's all I had (and knew about); teeth and no teeth Lando (and for many people, that's all they care about, which is fair enough). It's only when I deliberately set about looking for vintage figure variants and starting doing some research that I realised just how many other variants of most figures there are out there. I find it really interesting, but I completely understand why variant collecting is not for everybody!

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:29 am

jared007 wrote:I think it has emerged as a way to keep on collecting once you have a set completed. I actually don't think many of us completed full sets back in the 90's which is why the variant thing never came up. And now that many of us have, and we have a bit more disposable cash these days it's the next thing to do.

Agreed - from a budget POV it also serves as that middle ladder rung between a loose run and a MOC run.

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:33 am

jared007 wrote:I think it has emerged as a way to keep on collecting once you have a set completed. I actually don't think many of us completed full sets back in the 90's which is why the variant thing never came up. And now that many of us have, and we have a bit more disposable cash these days it's the next thing to do.

I agree with you. Although I personally was lucky enough to complete a 'full' ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ) run of about 115 figures by the mid-nineties, I didn't really get into variant collecting properly until about 2 years ago! And you're right; it has really breathed new life into my Vintage collecting. The funny thing is that even back in the nineties I knew about a lot of variants (many of which I even owned!) yet didn't really like or want to display them. I was happy to display the more obvious ones (large and small head Han, blue and red Snaggletooth, etc.), but didn't care enough about the minor ones to bother. I had four different Ackbars (1 Hong Kong painted hands, plus 3 Taiwan painted sleeves), but I made the decision that although their vests were all clearly different shades (I didn't even focus on the painted / molded hands / sleeves obvious difference!), I didn't want to display 4 of the same (dull!) figure.

I also passed on some things I wish I hadn't because of it. I didn't like the tri-logo / PBP Fetts (not that I had a clue what PBP was back then) at all as they were the 'wrong' colour, being even lighter blue and hence even further away from Boba Fett's on-screen costume colour than the 'regular' Fett was. And for that reason, I actually refused to buy a mint carded one in my local collectibles shop when it was for sale for £20 :shock: ... You live and learn! :lol:

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:36 am

Bonsai_Tree_Ent wrote:

Agreed - from a budget POV it also serves as that middle ladder rung between a loose run and a MOC run.

Agreed as well. And it was your variant collection, Sir, which I enjoyed viewing very much when it toured near me, that rekindled my interest and started me back on the variant road, so thank you, from both me and Barclaycard :-)

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:53 am

Haha! :D

db94
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby db94 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 pm

Had a weird dream last night (not the one with Kylie in a gorilla suit) where the figures that didn't originally come with accessories or weapons had random blasters packaged with them e.g. C3PO could come with any weapon so collectors were going nuts trying to find the elusive 3PO with smuggler blaster :D
My vintage/modern collection viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14191

jared007
Regular
Regular

Postby jared007 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:05 am

db94 wrote:Had a weird dream last night

I had a really weird dream last night that a department store (present day) found a heap of old Kenner star wars stock out back in storage, and had it out in bargain bins to clear out. I got there late and it was picked clean by the early birds, but they all totally missed bags and bags of loose weapons that must have fallen out of carded MOC stock over the years. I walked away with a small fortune!
Digital vintage price guide and portfolio system: http://www.starwarstracker.com

hellhippie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby hellhippie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:35 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:Like a few people have mentioned on here I just wanted to complete the loose run in near mint condition. Then I got sent a really interesting Han Solo which turned out to be a PBP variant. I couldn't get much info on it so I joined the forums where hellhippie and trappedtexan recommended Javier Ruilopez' book "Star Wars Made in Spain" and it all spiralled from there. I blame those three really :lol:

great!! anyways i only collected loose and finished a "full " run over 20 years ago . back then maybe people cared for luke bespin blonde and brown hair , the vinyl non vinyl caped thing and some other known variants like yoda orange and brown snake . we all get the collecting bug on again off again it comes and goes and for people that have done this for years theres only so much you can collect . when i learned of foreign variant being so different i was immediately hooked . it was a natural progression . now that i have most of those i do collect anything loose variant wise i can get my hands on . yep coo stamps , paint apps and mold difference sthe whole thing . and i love it

hellhippie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby hellhippie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:Like a few people have mentioned on here I just wanted to complete the loose run in near mint condition. Then I got sent a really interesting Han Solo which turned out to be a PBP variant. I couldn't get much info on it so I joined the forums where hellhippie and trappedtexan recommended Javier Ruilopez' book "Star Wars Made in Spain" and it all spiralled from there. I blame those three really :lol:

great!! anyways i only collected loose and finished a "full " run over 20 years ago . back then maybe people cared for luke bespin blonde and brown hair , the vinyl non vinyl caped thing and some other known variants like yoda orange and brown snake . we all get the collecting bug on again off again it comes and goes and for people that have done this for years theres only so much you can collect . when i learned of foreign variant being so different i was immediately hooked . it was a natural progression . now that i have most of those i do collect anything loose variant wise i can get my hands on . yep coo stamps , paint apps and mold difference sthe whole thing . and i love it

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:21 pm

hellhippie wrote:now that i have most of those i do collect anything loose variant wise i can get my hands on . yep coo stamps , paint apps and mold difference sthe whole thing . and i love it

I haven't gone completely over to the dark side, but when I do I'll know who to blame :)
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe...
--------------------------------------------------------
Stop your Jibba-Jabba you Big Walking Carpet

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”