Header image

When Did The Variant Thing Start ?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
ChallengerFox
Regular
Regular

When Did The Variant Thing Start ?

Postby ChallengerFox » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:19 am

What I mean is, when did everyone start collecting variants etc ? The majority of my collection I put together in the early 90's and back then from what I remember no one was interested or talked about variants, figures in model shops and toy fairs etc were just advertised as "Luke Jedi" for example, but now it seems every figure is listed as a variant.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: When Did The Variant Thing Start ?

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:47 am

I started in the early 00 to collect variants like lili ledy etc. etc. but it was first in the 10 or 11 that I started to go deeper and collect coo, no coo, different moulds and colors of variants, production errors etc. etc.

pizzathehutt
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby pizzathehutt » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:43 pm

when I was putting together my childhood collection in the late 80s/early 90s I picked up lots of loose figures cheap from carboots and antiques fairs and then when I got them home I'd get them all out and keep the ones that were in better condition for myself and the rest would go into a bag of doubles for swapping (not that I had anyone to swap with at the time but thought they'd be handy down the line.

it was only when I'd compare for better condition that I noticed I had a few odd looking stormtroopers, different coloured neck leia bespins, some vaders with different placed coo or marked out and this is when it popped into my head that they were worth holding onto.

I agree though, it has blown up big time variant wise. putting together a whole loose run I just about have time for but getting every figure with all known coo's? not for me :lol:
'Nutch Vader! Teeblo Carbon'

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:52 pm

To me every figure (with only one or two exceptions) has two variants:
1. loose
2. carded
And that is it!

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:10 pm

Mini99 wrote:To me every figure (with only one or two exceptions) has two variants:
1. loose
2. carded
And that is it!

Amen!!

I'm the same, i'm collecting loose and carded and they're the only 2 variants in my mind, I couldn't give a monkey's over what COO or paint variant my figures are as long as it's in near mint - mint cond. Iv'e only delved into variants with just one figure and that's Boba Fett, I truly love the way the colours look on the tri Fett so that gave me the excuse to get both unpainted & painted knee variants, I think it looks a lot more stunning than the colours on a standard Fett.

And that's the beginning and the end of my COO collecting venture 8)
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Dr_Ball_MD
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dr_Ball_MD » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:15 pm

I've never been bothered about different COO's but I do like to collect the different sculpts and paint differences.

It started when I joined bloody forums like this!

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:44 pm

Dr_Ball_MD wrote:I've never been bothered about different COO's but I do like to collect the different sculpts and paint differences.

:lol:
They ought to have a health/wealth warning on them somewhere!

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:43 pm

Mini99 wrote:
Dr_Ball_MD wrote:I've never been bothered about different COO's but I do like to collect the different sculpts and paint differences.

They ought to have a health/wealth warning on them somewhere!

Warning - 'this site may lead to unhealthy addictive spending on things you thought you never wanted, and possible bankruptcy'

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:59 pm

I blame Kenner for that pesky Vinyl Jawa being changed to a cloth cape ;-)

TheJabbaWookie
Regular
Regular

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:43 pm

Like a few people have mentioned on here I just wanted to complete the loose run in near mint condition. Then I got sent a really interesting Han Solo which turned out to be a PBP variant. I couldn't get much info on it so I joined the forums where hellhippie and trappedtexan recommended Javier Ruilopez' book "Star Wars Made in Spain" and it all spiralled from there. I blame those three really :lol:
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe...
--------------------------------------------------------
Stop your Jibba-Jabba you Big Walking Carpet

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:47 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:Like a few people have mentioned on here I just wanted to complete the loose run in near mint condition. Then I got sent a really interesting Han Solo which turned out to be a PBP variant. I couldn't get much info on it so I joined the forums where hellhippie and trappedtexan recommended Javier Ruilopez' book "Star Wars Made in Spain" and it all spiralled from there. I blame those three really :lol:

If you can find someone to blame then that's all ok then... :lol: :roll: :lol:

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:06 pm

It's got ridiculous in the last few years with the Facebook groups imo

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:57 pm

Variant collecting surely started early on at the start of the hobby with the Vinyl Cape Jawa and Blue Snaggletooth, both very early releases in the toy line and clear as day variants.

Im a variant collector myself and after collecting a full loose set, I thought it would be fun to collect an 'alternate' loose set comprising the most noticeable and interesting variants. Really enjoyed collecting them, and learning much more about the global aspect of the hobby, perhaps the most fun collecting-wise I've had in the hobby!

Dannywhiteley wrote:It's got ridiculous in the last few years with the Facebook groups imo

However, this above is true too. Variant collecting has diminishing returns. The deeper you go into it, the less obvious the variant and it becomes a little bit like grasping at straws. The latest Vintage Rebellion exposed the ridiculousness of getting excited about all the different hair shades of Luke. Facebook sellers have also cottoned on to the fact that you can declare practically any loose figure a variant and charge a premium for it.

TheJabbaWookie
Regular
Regular

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:51 pm

Bonsai_Tree_Ent wrote:Really enjoyed collecting them, and learning much more about the global aspect of the hobby, perhaps the most fun collecting-wise I've had in the hobby!

That's what I think about the Spanish line. It has some really interesting and cool looking variants like the Pistachio Limbs Bossk, Chocolate legs Han Hoth, Black Pouched Chewbacca, Dark Brown Chest Rebel Soldier, 4-LOM red armour and of course the Tri logo Boba Fett light blue subzero already mentioned.

Subzero your hate for collecting variants has made you powerful. Now, fulfill your destiny and take your place at our side. :lol:
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe...
--------------------------------------------------------
Stop your Jibba-Jabba you Big Walking Carpet

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:15 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:Subzero your hate for collecting variants has made you powerful. Now, fulfill your destiny and take your place at our side. :lol:

Never, i'm a standard figure collector like my father before me.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”