Header image

When Did The Variant Thing Start ?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
TheJabbaWookie
Regular
Regular

Re: When Did The Variant Thing Start ?

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:21 pm

subzero wrote:Never, i'm a standard figure collector like my father before me. :lol:

If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed. :twisted:
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe...
--------------------------------------------------------
Stop your Jibba-Jabba you Big Walking Carpet

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:53 am

I mean absolutely no disrespect to those collectors that don't go for variants, after all it's a completely personal choice as to what you do and don't collect. However, when you say you don't collect variants, do you mean that absolutely completely and literally? Do you make no exceptions at all? I wonder whether you are tempted by the more obvious and readily available major ones, most notably large and small head Han Solo? Are you REALLY not bothered which one of those you have?... One that looks a little undersized, but basically pretty good, or one which looks like it's been inflated to bursting point by a perpetual drunk who's never seen Harrison Ford in his blurred life? :-D

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:32 am

TheJabbaWookie wrote:
subzero wrote:Never, i'm a standard figure collector like my father before me. :lol:

If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed. :twisted:

..... NNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:40 am

Snaketibe wrote:I mean absolutely no disrespect to those collectors that don't go for variants, after all it's a completely personal choice as to what you do and don't collect. However, when you say you don't collect variants, do you mean that absolutely completely and literally? Do you make no exceptions at all? I wonder whether you are tempted by the more obvious and readily available major ones, most notably large and small head Han Solo? Are you REALLY not bothered which one of those you have?... One that looks a little undersized, but basically pretty good, or one which looks like it's been inflated to bursting point by a perpetual drunk who's never seen Harrison Ford in his blurred life? :-D

The original Han isn't even on my want list for my collection, but if it was then i'd have to choose small head just so i'm not looking at a giant man head :lol: but when I say i'm not bothered about variants what I mean is adding different variants of figures I already have into my collection and owning multiples of the same figure. If I was to own both a small head and a large head Han then really i'm still looking at two of the same figure which is what I wouldn't want.

Now if it was red & blue Snag then i'd prob have to get both considering just how much of a difference there is to the point that they pretty much are different figures, but I don't even like Snaggletooth so i'll never own either one anyway 8)

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Fri Sep 08, 2017 12:21 pm

I think it started the day Kenner started producing different versions of the same figure and the day they weren't strict on the quality control with the paint apps accross different factories/eras. If there's different versions people are going to notice and want them as they have. I'm in the very major variation camp, light green/dark green Yoda, big head/small head Han etc. 12 different shades of leg colour does not constitute a variation to me 8)

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:20 pm

I'm not too into variants / variations , but was happy when I noticed I had both versions of the lando bespin belt buckle molds :) which I didn't even know existed till I saw the variant thread on it, and I also noticed I had two boba fetts with different shades of dark red / darker scarlet brown grey etc... is it, belt area so suppose I'm a bit into it with out meaning to be :D
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

pizzathehutt
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby pizzathehutt » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:28 pm

the mould on the head of the stormtroopers I had being different rang alarm bells for me

I quite like some of the factory errors although don't own any, I like the unpainted hand ree yees
'Nutch Vader! Teeblo Carbon'

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Fri Sep 08, 2017 7:34 pm

I think variants really started to become more than the few obvious examples (VCJ, Han large/small, Blue Snag etc) when Kenner deliberately produced variants in the early POTF2 - EP1 lines. Long/short sabres, circles on Boba hands, Darth maul black vest etc really got collectors looking for the smallest, silliest details.

Best vintage variant I heard of recently was the light and dark faced Bespin guards. Only its not what you are thinking, both are actually the black Bespin guard, just one is a very slightly lighter shade of brown.

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:24 pm

bosk70 wrote:I'm not too into variants / variations , but was happy when I noticed I had both versions of the lando bespin belt buckle molds :) which I didn't even know existed till I saw the variant thread on it, and I also noticed I had two boba fetts with different shades of dark red / darker scarlet brown grey etc... is it, belt area so suppose I'm a bit into it with out meaning to be :D

I hate to do this to you (not least because this sort of thing is presumably exactly what non-variant collectors don't care for :-)), but there are at least three different variants of Lando's belt buckle, not two (please excuse the poor photo quality; they weren't actually taken with a view to focus on the buckle, so they're a little bit blurred :-)):

Narrow with no vertical line:

Narrow with no vertical line.jpg

Narrow with a vertical line:

Narrow with vertical line.jpg

Wide with a vertical line:

Wide with vertical line.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:23 am

Dannywhiteley wrote:Best vintage variant I heard of recently was the light and dark faced Bespin guards. Only its not what you are thinking, both are actually the black Bespin guard, just one is a very slightly lighter shade of brown.

Slightly off topic, but the black Bespin guard always sticks out in my memory of playing with it as a kid ( the dark faced one ), I always remember just how damn black he was haha but at the time never thought anything of it whatsoever it was just normal to look at. But today now I look at him and think omg why is he so unnaturally black like a golliwog :lol: if that figure was released today no doubt you'd have people screaming 'racist' saying how the face should have been brown, even down to the packaging that has to mention that he's black in case you didn't notice lol I find that strange. If that figure was released like that today it would last a day or two until it gets pulled from the shelves for offending people, how perspectives change!

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:07 pm

subzero wrote:
Dannywhiteley wrote:Best vintage variant I heard of recently was the light and dark faced Bespin guards. Only its not what you are thinking, both are actually the black Bespin guard, just one is a very slightly lighter shade of brown.

Slightly off topic, but the black Bespin guard always sticks out in my memory of playing with it as a kid ( the dark faced one ), I always remember just how damn black he was haha but at the time never thought anything of it whatsoever it was just normal to look at. But today now I look at him and think omg why is he so unnaturally black like a golliwog :lol: if that figure was released today no doubt you'd have people screaming 'racist' saying how the face should have been brown, even down to the packaging that has to mention that he's black in case you didn't notice lol I find that strange. If that figure was released like that today it would last a day or two until it gets pulled from the shelves for offending people, how perspectives change!

Quite right too. I prefer to call him "Bespin Guard of African origin" but then my anthropology professor friend would remind me that we are all African.

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:01 pm

Dannywhiteley wrote:
subzero wrote:

Quite right too. I prefer to call him "Bespin Guard of African origin" but then my anthropology professor friend would remind me that we are all African.

Indeed!

Regarding the black guard's possible running change, unless it was simply another case of one factory using a different shade of brown paint in error / through not really caring, in this instance, due to the possible racial sensitivity issue, whilst there certainly are people in the world with extremely dark skin tones, I suppose it's possible Kenner made a deliberate running change to make the figure more closely resemble the skin tone of the guard pictured on the card. However, that's assuming the dark brown one came out first, and I don't actually know if that's the case. However, here are the two different guards (that I know of! There may be even more shades of brown out there that I don't know about!) and the picture from the card:

Black Bespin Guards.jpg

Black Bespin Guard Card Image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:04 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
bosk70 wrote:I'm not too into variants / variations , but was happy when I noticed I had both versions of the lando bespin belt buckle molds :) which I didn't even know existed till I saw the variant thread on it, and I also noticed I had two boba fetts with different shades of dark red / darker scarlet brown grey etc... is it, belt area so suppose I'm a bit into it with out meaning to be :D

I hate to do this to you (not least because this sort of thing is presumably exactly what non-variant collectors don't care for :-)), but there are at least three different variants of Lando's belt buckle, not two (please excuse the poor photo quality; they weren't actually taken with a view to focus on the buckle, so they're a little bit blurred :-)):

Thanks for the info Snaketibe..... now I have the middle one to look out for now... :o no.. no.. i'm not into variant's :D dam but they would look good all lined up... no.. no :lol:
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:31 pm

Maybe some words were actually said about the dark skin tone to make them change it to the brown, even back then.

But I suppose like you say it's the same thing with different tones such as for Han Hoth, pale face, pink face etc!, and like you say it's probably just down to what paint they had to produce them at the time, or just complete accidents etc.

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:03 pm

bosk70 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:

Thanks for the info Snaketibe..... now I have the middle one to look out for now... :o no.. no.. i'm not into variant's :D dam but they would look good all lined up... no.. no :lol:

All lined up, you say? ;-)

Lando Line-up 1.jpg

Lando Line-up 2.jpg

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”