Header image

Ever tried a spot of hand washing?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Ever tried a spot of hand washing?

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:02 pm

I have two Princess Leia Endor Ponchos, one mint, one in need of some TLC (well a new poncho really, or so I thought). I was going to buy one on eBay then I thought I'd give it a hand wash. I don't know what the community thinks about interfering with originals but I guess it's just like cleaning and not retouching. Anyway here are the results. I might try it again to get an even better than Daz look...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe...
--------------------------------------------------------
Stop your Jibba-Jabba you Big Walking Carpet

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Ever tried a spot of hand washing?

Postby Michael Sith » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:05 pm

Personally I think it's fine, as your not altering just cleaning up, great result as well :wink:
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

pizzathehutt
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby pizzathehutt » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:59 pm

I did this years ago with a pruneface cape that had purple felt tip on it and it worked a treat!
'Nutch Vader! Teeblo Carbon'

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:27 pm

I think it is great, did you use hot water ? have any of you tried it in a washing machine ?

pizzathehutt
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby pizzathehutt » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:29 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:I think it is great, did you use hot water ? have any of you tried it in a washing machine ?

yeah the prunce face one was in the washing machine, I remember my mum putting it inside a sock and doing at knot at the end so it didn't get lost :lol:
'Nutch Vader! Teeblo Carbon'

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:32 pm

Hmm looks brand new! 8)
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:32 pm

pizzathehutt wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:I think it is great, did you use hot water ? have any of you tried it in a washing machine ?

yeah the prunce face one was in the washing machine, I remember my mum putting it inside a sock and doing at knot at the end so it didn't get lost :lol:

What a great idea!

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:37 pm

I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but quite frankly if anyone objected to carefully cleaning dirt off a loose figure or its accessories, then as far as I'm concerned they can go forth and multiply themselves! It's perfectly fine and actually a good idea in most cases as not only does it improve the look of the figure and return it closer to its original (and intended) condition, removing the dirt (depending on what it is of course) can actually prolong the life of the soft goods. Dirt is a breeding ground for fungi and bacteria which can cause permanent damage if left to their own devices.

As for washing them, personally I do what you did and always recommend hand washing soft goods items in COLD water and a suitable gentle cleaning agent. I start small and work my way up if I don't get the desired results. Water alone can often remove light dirt, however using regular soap as well can work wonders. If that's not tough enough, I use a little non-bio washing powder and carefully and repeatedly knead and rub the soft goods to remove the dirt. The process can take a while, so don't be impatient or too rough with the item, and you should see good results.

The idea of placing the soft goods in a knotted sock and then in the washing machine doesn't sound terrible, providing the item isn't fragile and that you use a low temperature (30 degrees C). High temperatures can and do cause shrinking with many fabrics. Remember, Star Wars figure soft goods weren't designed to be washed, so many will shrink if you're not careful. Overall though, I prefer hand-washing as you have more control over the item and can stop cleaning when the item is as clean as you want it to be. Just remember to thoroughly rinse the item free from soap / detergent before leaving it to dry as flat as possible, or you may have one very wrinkled soft goods item! ;-)

Good luck!

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:22 pm

I opted for the hand wash option rather than the washing machine as I could exert more control over the process. If I ruined it I could only blame myself but if it got damaged in the washing machine I'd be kicking myself.

Putting in a sock is a good idea because the sock would protect it, might smell a bit cheesy though afterwards :lol:

walkie
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby walkie » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:53 pm

a bit of soapy water and leave it on the radiator over night always works for me
Wanted: Lili Ledy, Glasslite, Meccano, Canadian Instruction Sheets, $$$ waiting!!

Visit My Vintage Paperwork Limelight Click Me!
The Glasslite Guide & Discussion Thread Click Me! & The Droids Guide & Discussion Thread Click Me!

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:12 am

Done this plenty of times with SW and Action Man stuff... though standing in the kitchen ironing action man outfits is a sight to behold! :lol:
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

sparkysx
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby sparkysx » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:42 pm

I've done it with the same results, never thought of it as a problem considering it didn't come from the factory with dirt on it! I normally give figs a wash if they are new to me and they need it.

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:06 pm

sparkysx wrote:I've done it with the same results, never thought of it as a problem considering it didn't come from the factory with dirt on it! I normally give figs a wash if they are new to me and they need it.

For a minute I thought you were going all posh and Waitrose on us and buying la-di-da figs over the fruit counter and washing them before consumption, then it dawned on me what you meant :oops:

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:09 am

I thought at first you were doing the "I could care less" Americanism but with "I give figs about.. ."

:D

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:29 am

pizzathehutt wrote:

:lol: thanks

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”