Header image

Star Wars Tracker Advice

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Stubbs
Regular
Regular

Star Wars Tracker Advice

Postby Stubbs » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:17 pm

Hi guys

I'm after a bit of advice and interested in your thoughts on the star wars tracker sorry if this has been posted before. But my question is do any dealers on here or sellers use this as an accurate price guide.

I have been using it for a few months to to see what items i need in my collection are selling for but i have a few items that are duplicate and looking to sell.

Would i go far wrong using this as a pricing tool.

What are your thought. Thanks

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Star Wars Tracker Advice

Postby Grant_C » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:22 pm

I'd say it's a top guide for giving bookends to your value.

I notice on eBay that most auctions start at the highest possible price, so you may seem like the most sober seller in the land of money grabbing
Hutts.

Good luck

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:31 pm

Grant_C wrote:I'd say it's a top guide for giving bookends to your value.

I notice on eBay that most auctions start at the highest possible price, so you may seem like the most sober seller in the land of money grabbing
Hutts.

Good luck

How does this tracker account for varying figure and card conditions though?, value largely depends on the condition.

Seems like an impossible task for an app to do this... :?
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Stubbs
Regular
Regular

Postby Stubbs » Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:42 pm

Thanks grant

I have no intention on starting at the highest price a figure or mini rig has sold for as the way i see it i dont need these items in my collection i simply want to move them on and use the money towards helping finish my loose run.

But also want them to sell so i can achieve this.

Also as subzero has mentioned it is an impossible task to use the tracker as an accurate guide as every figure condition loose limbs paint rub ect would differ. So if its used purely as just that a rough guide give or take overall condition into account i suppose i cant be far off pricing fairly.

Cheers

jared007
Regular
Regular

Postby jared007 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:50 am

Hi,

To the point of the original question - I think it's perfectly acceptable to determine a reasonable selling price from the Tracker data. For no other reason than the Tracker showing you actual realized selling prices for that item. These aren't collectors estimations, they are not a collector talking his book to skew the prices in a way they want. It's pure factual market data.

But the Tracker is not magic, it's not going to assign you a price that *you must sell at*, and you still have a responsibility to make a decision on how you are going to interpret the data in front of you. For example, take the below screenshot. If you were trying to determine a fair selling price for a loose complete Barada you see an average of £58. But if you look at the scatter, you can see various sold prices anywhere from £43 to £74 - as Grant said "book ends".

baradaPrices.png

So what's the right thing to do? That's completely up to you now. The price ranges could indicate poor vs very good condition (but also be aware of licensee variation, COO markings etc), so you could factor that in with your item in hand. To help gauge this, each data point is "clickable through to source" so you can see exactly what the condition is for each of these sold prices. If you don't agree with a particular data point you can even exclude it right there and the analysis will update accordingly.

baradaInfo.png

If I wanted to sell quickly, I'd price around £45 expecting it to be snapped up. Otherwise, I'd make a judgement on how good condition my item was and then set a price anywhere between the average and top price. Then you sit and wait and let the market react. I feel if you follow this basic recipe then you can absolutely defend any selling price if it's ever challenged.

A price guide attempting to provide a value for every conceivable condition of an item is an impossible task. But I feel the Tracker avoids this issue entirely by presenting each individual price point which can be followed to source. The rest is up to you.

Cheers, Jared.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Digital vintage price guide and portfolio system: http://www.starwarstracker.com

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:50 am

Good info there, that guide actually seems pretty good as a selling & buying tool. 8)
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:17 am

It is- Jared has made it a labour of love and has given an amazing gift for the community.

Its always evolving and getting better as well.

Jez
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Jez » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:42 pm

Grant_C wrote:It is- Jared has made it a labour of love and has given an amazing gift for the community.

Its always evolving and getting better as well.

^^^^^^^

Plus he is often looking for beta testers for his innovations JOS 11.9 etc. I think recently he was looking for Android testers.
This is a great tool.

jared007
Regular
Regular

Postby jared007 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:34 am

Jez wrote:Plus he is often looking for beta testers for his innovations

Yes, one of the core values of the Tracker is that it remains useful for collectors (and continues to improve). I've just finished this beta testing with a couple dozen willing collectors from the community. This update is a major addition to the portfolio management aspect of the Tracker that allows you to upload your own images for your items. It will go live this week if all goes to plan.

appTeaser.png

If interested, here's a taster video for what you can expect: https://www.facebook.com/11768477190589 ... 283481442/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Digital vintage price guide and portfolio system: http://www.starwarstracker.com

Jez
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Jez » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:59 pm

That's brilliant Jared. Well done.

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:42 am

Jez wrote:That's brilliant Jared. Well done.

The new photo upload option is a game changer in my opinion... It works brilliantly and for logging your own collection it couldn't be better.

Regarding the rest of the App and Desktop versions, I personally think it's a great investment and worth every penny 8)
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

Lunar_Jetman
New User
New User

Postby Lunar_Jetman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:34 am

So I'm considering the 31 day trial but I can't see anywhere on the site details of the cost once the trial is over. Anyone able to confirm the cost? I don't fancy spending a month getting used to the software and adding all my details to find it's too expensive for me.

I would have thought something like advising customers of the cost was a basic requirement anyway, so apologies if I'm being dim and not clicking in the right place, I just can't find it!

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:30 pm

Lunar_Jetman wrote:So I'm considering the 31 day trial but I can't see anywhere on the site details of the cost once the trial is over. Anyone able to confirm the cost? I don't fancy spending a month getting used to the software and adding all my details to find it's too expensive for me.

I would have thought something like advising customers of the cost was a basic requirement anyway, so apologies if I'm being dim and not clicking in the right place, I just can't find it!

Click on the free trial banner and it brings up the prices, it's about £20/25 a year

Plastikheld
Regular
Regular

Postby Plastikheld » Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:40 pm

I just renewed my annual subscription a few days ago. Jared does a great job and the tracker is getting better and better.
Like Steve said, it's "worth every penny" (.. and it is just pennies, compared to the funds we are pumping in our collections).
Everybody should give it at least a try.
SAVORY100 wrote:The new photo upload option is a game changer

Are you testing a beta-version? Can't find it in my mobile Version (like shown in the vid).
http://www.condition10.de | Diary of a Star Wars Action-Figure Collector | Follow me on Image

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:03 am

Plastikheld wrote:I just renewed my annual subscription a few days ago. Jared does a great job and the tracker is getting better and better.
Like Steve said, it's "worth every penny" (.. and it is just pennies, compared to the funds we are pumping in our collections).
Everybody should give it at least a try.
SAVORY100 wrote:The new photo upload option is a game changer

Are you testing a beta-version? Can't find it in my mobile Version (like shown in the vid).

Yes mate, I've been a small part of the Beta testing team for the iOS App from the outset. iOS Testing is over for this period, I think there is Android testing to complete though, so I expect you'll get an update soon.
The photo uploads are (I believe) live on the desktop already...
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”