Header image

A New Repro... THE COLLECTORS STRIKE BACK

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: A New Repro... THE COLLECTORS STRIKE BACK

Postby subzero » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:23 pm

Bonsai_Tree_Ent wrote:I suspect many of those 68 views from the past 24 hours have been as a result of this thread and the one on echo base.

subzero, regarding EBay's policy on repro, I'm not sure that blog article represents it as it was written 8 years ago by a collector and is just his opinion.

EBay's official policy is described succinctly as: We don't allow replicas, counterfeit items, or unauthorized copies to be listed on eBay.

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/re ... rfeit.html

However, whether this is in reference towards current brands only (the Rolex, Gucci Handbag and Nike fakers) is unspecified.

If I get a chance on Monday I will write to Ebay and seek clarification on their policy specifically towards reproduction / fake vintage Star Wars toys (and if there is any differentiation between declared repro in the listing or undeclared). I'll feedback the response, if I get one, here.

Yes that could be a problem with them not being specific over whether or not they mean vintage too in their policy, we all know fakes of current modern commercial items aren't allowed but it will be interesting to see what they say about vintage fakes.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:05 pm

What should happen with all repro listings is sellers should be stopped from mentioning Star Wars in the listings, am I stating the obvious. :? :lol:
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

cracatilla
Regular
Regular

Postby cracatilla » Sat Sep 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Reported
Thank The Maker!

Jez
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Jez » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:31 pm

Reported

Maybe one other way to piss these guys off is to create sock accounts and buy all his shit. Obviously not pay for any of them though :?:

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:28 am

Jez wrote:Reported

Maybe one other way to piss these guys off is to create sock accounts and buy all his shit. Obviously not pay for any of them though :?:

If ebay caught you doing that through the same IP then they would close any other accounts you have, chances are you'd prob get away with it anyway because ebay are pretty useless, but if they did catch you then, bye bye ebay account!

Armand78
Regular
Regular

Postby Armand78 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:50 am

reported - good work.

Bonsai_Tree_Ent
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Bonsai_Tree_Ent » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:29 am

48 hours ago, an experiment began to see if community members could collectively target and remove the listing for a specific repro item on ebay. By my tally 37 took part on here and on Echo Base – thank you all for taking the time to ‘Report Item’...

Disappointingly, the result is that the item listing remains.

The thread also brought up some conjecture about Ebay’s policy towards repro, and so today I quizzed Ebay to try and get some clarity. In short, they'll do the sum total of jack and s**t. Here is the dialogue in full:

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:50 am

Very disappointing but unfortunately I think we all had our suspicions that this would be the case, as long as they can make money from it and the owner of the brand/copyright/trademark don't complain to them then they aren't going to do anything.

Someone needs to send a C&D letter on headed paper from a solicitor signed Bob Iger

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:38 pm

Wow, I don't know what I'm more amazed at: a clear and concise answer from an eBay customer service rep or the fact that fakes are absolutely 100% allowed unless the copyright holder complains. A very disappointing stance from eBay and I am actually surprised it's that clear cut and condoned. No wonder Orme is having a field day.

There is an answer to this, however. It's one that will MAKE eBay take action because it will cost them money. It's a scaled up version of what Rich did: buy some fake crap, complain to ebay it was poor quality fake crap, or at the very least demand to return it to the business seller and then point out that Royal Mail will NOT allow the posting of fake/counterfeit items under it's terms and conditions. eBay are likely to take the stance that they will refund you whilst not taking the money back from the seller as it's their T&Cs causing the conflict: it's OK to sell this stuff, you must accept refunds but the buyer is unable to return it. Will give this some thought and do some reading.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:58 pm

So basically they're saying someone can list an item as genuine even thought it's fake and then scam people...?

Gotta love ebay! :evil:

Also if a case was opened then how would you get the money back without posting the item back?.. there's no option to get that kind of refund done in an ebay case. And also would ebay allow the refund if the listing stated 'repro'? and you knew it was a repro when you bought it?

yoda
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby yoda » Mon Sep 25, 2017 4:40 pm

What happens if a situation comes up where we (Star Wars) collectors know the item is a fake / repro. And the seller claims it's not to eBay. I think that's why it's a minefield to sort out.
It's because we've all an interest in this it's easy to spot. I look at repros and I am still unsure half the time what to look for. It's only because of the long term collectors knowledge that helps me when I'm stuck.
I can't imagine eBay will start dedicating time to analyzing small plastic weapons to see if they are fake or not. I think it would be really difficult to spot a repro if you don't have a deep interest in the hobby. And that could cause all sorts of problems for eBay.
It's just my opinion I don't know either how to stop them but what you guys have done is a great start.
They are destroying the hobby i know but and I never knew how detailed these things have become until I joined this forum.
You also got the problem of the casual collectors who just want weapons and go for the cheapest option not realising the monster they are feeding.
It really is a shame this is happening but because of the value of these items more and more are now being produced in greater numbers.
Age is no barrier. It's a limitation you put on your mind ~Jackie Joyner-Kersee~
Arf arf arf... That's my other dog imitation. ~Sgt. Oddball.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterward.~Vernon Law~

poncho
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby poncho » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:00 pm

i sold copied cds some 10 years ago and got threatened by ebay that my account would be deleted if i continued to so.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:36 pm

And the problem has just got even worse....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Star- ... SwJs1ZyQ3N

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Star- ... SwfrxZyQz2

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Star- ... Sw2N1ZyQ1o

I know someone a while back who had an empty petrol lighter removed by ebay because it was apparently 'dangerous'.. not allowing items on ebay that harm their members was their dumb excuse, ( empty lighters these days must be exploding left right and centre ) yet they have no idea how much harm these repros actually cause their members financially. These weapons end up everywhere and sellers start listing them as genuine intentionally or not, then buyers on ebay end up completely out of pocket and all they have to show for it is a shitty fake believing it's real until they come to sell it on. :!:

FYI iv'e just remembered another stupid one he had removed, it was a wallet with a £20 note design on it and ebay removed it under the 'counterfeit currency' policy ( you can't make this shit up ). So they can decide to have a policy to take down whatever they see fit, but for some reason with reproduction vintage toys apparently they're fine to sell.... :x

Jez
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Jez » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:58 pm

subzero wrote:
Jez wrote:Reported

If ebay caught you doing that through the same IP then they would close any other accounts you have, chances are you'd prob get away with it anyway because ebay are pretty useless, but if they did catch you then, bye bye ebay account!

You raise 2 good points. The first: be careful. The second, they'll probably not put two and two together.
Mega frustrating though.

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:00 pm

Ebay don’t care. I gave up on them a while back. We would have more luck petitioning Disney who own the name STAR WARS, if they threatened Ebay I’m sure Ebay might star listening?

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”