THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 40 LAUNCHED

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
EPISODE 40 : AREN'T YOU A LITTLE SHAWN FOR A STORMTROOPER - NOW LIVE

40facebook.png

On this month's Vintage Rebellion Podcast, the team are joined by Shawn Moynihan for the main interview.  Shawn discusses a whole plethora of topics, including his love for The Holiday Special, putting marbles up astromechs bottoms and how he actually broke his jaw several years ago.

Rich has the pleasure of talking to the best looking collector, if not in the Galaxy then certainly in the Southern Hemisphere on the latest updates of the reproduction blasters, whilst the team thrash out a lively debate on those collecting blues, which are rippling across the collecting circles with some great advice for those affected.

In this episodes packed New Acquisitions (NA) section, the team discuss a veritable banquet of vintage gorgeousness.  Too much to cover here in detail but the items include; Bargain carded figures, Meccano cardbacks, German drinking glasses, 12" Palitoy Fett, awesome Trilogo carded figures, a run of Model Trem Darth Vader variants and more fantastic items.  Jez is joined by 4 guests; Justin Lea gives us a great update on his Diecast Landspeeder collection, Iain Sanderson and an extra special guest braved the night of the Florida storms to tell us all about Iain's awesome looking ESB Yoda store display and finally Chris Georgoulias is the inaugural member to join exciting new concept 'The Vintage Rebellion Alliance', providing the crew with some fantastic information about Speeder Bike Prototypes, to supplement a discussion on possibly Kenner's most perfect Vintage vehicle.

The team also welcome back the return of Pete, who is in fine form.  Returning with Pete is of course the Market section where he introduces a new Gimcrack concept whilst we also see the return of his popular top five.

Welcome Home Pete...  It's family!

LISTEN VIA ITUNES

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/star-wars-the-vintage-rebellion-podcast/id1001257470?mt=2

OR DIRECTLY

http://swtvrpodcast.podbean.com/

spoons

Grand Master
About half way for me - interesting stuff so far.

As to the chewbacca display debate, there is a further option. Wait to get a chewbacca cardback and swap that with the 3PO.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Thankyou as always, guys.

I'm not far into it but am compelled to let you know that I'm just out of hospital after a month and am using your podcast as a soundtrack to fannying about around the house very slowly. I was fed up when I got up and am now thoroughly enjoying Family Fortunes which is a great introduction to me being phased back into society. :D

Yes, I wish you to know that I consider this podcast as complimentary medicine.

See you in five hours time for more shameless sycophancy. Unless it turns out to be ****, of course.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Five hours flies by! Great stuff asalways.

About Paploo! He was over-represented in a couple of places and I wonder if that's a hangover from when Kenny Baker's Ewok ( now Paploo ) was supposed to be the leading Ewok before he became ill and Warwick Davis's Ewok stood in during filming.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Fantastic show as ever guys, really enjoyed this one and lovely to hear Pete again and also Simon makes a great regular addition to the team.

I thought Shawn's interview was really interesting and it was nice to finally hear Aussie James talking after reading so many of his comments over the years. Such a shame there are so many high end repros around now as it's made a slight nightmare for the collecting community out there. I did wonder if anyone who has one of those new Leia blasters has put it under black light yet? I'm not sure if it would show up anything but might be worth it (apologies if this has already been looked into).

I found the section on people growing tiered with SW collecting of special interest as it's something I've found from time to time (like most of us at one point or another I'm sure). I haven't really picked up any vintage SW to talk of for quite a while now although I do still get the odd modern thing (normally attached to the new films or something with a retro feel like the new Helix range or the 40th anniversary black figures). I certainly haven't left SW behind even though I have been attracted to other toy lines recently. I know I'll always go back to SW and have enough in my collection to keep me happy so I thought it was good advise to sit on your collections for a while before deciding to sell up. Maybe just downsizing is a good way to go and keep the pieces that speak to you most. I've found it's always good to have a change around with displaying things and it's always nice to make a little space in the cabinets for something new or old you haven't displayed for a while.

Keep up the great work as ever and as this really is a highlight of my month listening to these podcasts, it's going to be a very long month now that this one's finished. Here's to next months show! :D

Ian

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Episode 40 and still going strong! The Vintage Rebellion is THE podcast I most look forward to each and every month. It's still amazing to me how a 5 to 6 hour show can fly by so fast. I've actually been listening to past episodes for the last couple months and am now completely caught up.

It's great to have Pete back and he didn't skip a beat. Really enjoyed the "Gimcrack" segment. I also liked the recorded segements from collectors. This added even more variety to a topic filled show. Great interview with Shawn and I can really appreciate his view that toys are meant to be played with. While I really enjoy learning the history and how things were produced, at the end of the day it always comes back to nostalgia for me. Star Wars has been and always will be that direct link to my childhood (and still keeps me young at heart to this day).

The Speeder Bike segment was fantastic and is by far my favorite small vehicle in the SW line. I had two as a kid (which I still have in my collection) and not surprisingly, both are missing the flaps. I spent hours and hours playing with that toy and it will always hold a special place in my heart. This past summer I took my kids to the Redwoods and visited the location of the Speeder Bike chase and I felt like I was 10 years old again. Even did a little mock up with one of my childhood Speeder Bikes.

Star Wars collecting will always be my #1 collecting interest, but I have found myself bouncing around to other lines now and then. I am also really into Indiana Jones, so I tend to go in waves where I'll go heavy into it for awhile, then take a break and jump into something else that catches my eye. I enjoy collecting smaller lines as it's much more feasible to get a complete collection (and I use the term complete very loosely here).

Again, thank you Stu, Rich, Jez, Simon and Pete for all the hard work you guys put into each and every show. So many podcasts now days are just guys BS'n with no preparation or direction. It is very evident that you always do your homework and present it in a fun, entertaining and informative way. Keep doing what your doing and as always, looking forward to the next show!

Speeder Bike 2.jpg

lejackal

Grand Master
Thanks for the mentions, loved the Speederbike section, especially the vintage string discovery - I actually did a similar thing but went one step further and cut the legs off as it didn't have them in the film :lol:

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
Thanks for the new episode, another lovely rambling present for us vintage boys to listen to! It was unusual listening to you have a slightly morose discussion about falling out of love with the hobby (and Stu's confession that he's been cheating on Star Wars with a Game Of Thrones collection - ask him if he's got a 4" Little Finger!). I also liked the aussiejames mini interview, you should defo get him on for a longer one, I liked his analysis and clear explanations of Leia Blaster-gate.

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
I'm nearing the end now, so far it's been a great listen once again. Someone said that you only get feedback on features once they've finished - well I think the whole show hangs together really well, a good mix of subjects and plenty of laughs.

Grant is certainly missed, hope he can come back one day soon maybe for a feature interview, but Simon has stepped up to the plate really well and Pete's return is very welcome. In fact Pete gave me the two biggest laughs this month, one for the whole marble up the bottom segment, and then later for the idea of Leia's Frozen Love Tunnel Playset! The new Gimcrack section went well and hopefully will make up for the loss of Grant's odd balls. The interview with Shawn was excellent, some great tales and very entertaining.

I thought a great unproduced playset would be the Tantive IV interior, with the corridors and engineering sections. Three action features could include a break-away door for the Stormtroopers to come through, an Escape Pod, and a lever to knock Leia down once she gets blasted. It could even have come with a free exclusive Rebel Fleet Trooper.

Another great show cheers chaps!

edd_jedi

Staff member
Supporter
Really enjoyed Shawn's interview, it's great to talk about the toys themselves but it's even better to hear somebodies stories from growing up. Chris's mini interview was eye opening too, I had no idea that kit-bashed Speeder Bike had shown up in Australia. I remember that image of it with the upside down front and Stormtrooper attached vividly from when I was a kid, must have had it on a poster or something.

It was sad to hear Mete's interview again, big loss to the community and hobby.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Thanks again for my monthly fix, really enjoyed this episode.
Shawns interview of his childhood was interesting, the marble conversation was a classic, :lol: as was the new concept of short segments from other collectors, keeping the show feeling fresh, well done.
I tried to count how many times Pete dropped the "flaps" word into the speeder bike segment, very naughty boy... :lol: :roll:
I must mention Derek Ho's interview from the previous episode, one of, if not the best, I could have listened to him for hours, an interesting guy.
The new Gimcrack section is a fun and a novel way to present this section now that Grant has left; Simon has fitted in really well, seems to have been here for longer, congratulations.
I thought that Pete's "Leia's love tunnel" or whatever it was called was the worst idea I had ever heard for an unmade playset, that was until Jez presented his "beauty/barber shop" idea! :lol:
Come on Jez, I know it's the 21st century, but what were you thinking! :eek:
Again thanks guys for the time and effort that you put into these shows, we appreciate it.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Excellent episode this month. Very sad news about Mete Akin, never met him but enjoyed his interview on the podcast. Terrible news.

With regard to losing enthusiasm for the hobby. I would say I'm still as interested, and get as much pleasure from vintage but my collecting has definitely lost momentum. Prices are certainly a problem. I've not been looking at Facebook much, as I believe you can have too much of a good thing and the constant stream of vintage posts can be a bit much.

Maybe Star Wars is at maximum saturation and people are feeling burnt out it as it's everywhere again.

I think the Last Jedi will be amazing, but I reckon Hamill will announce Ep9 will be his last film. After that the hype for vintage will decrease. Especially if the Han Solo film is badly received by the older generation. Maybe then prices will level out?

Great to have the King of Gimcrack back on the airwaves. He sounded fresh, rested and ready for action. The market-watch rundown was cranked all the way up to eleven. Guess it goes to show sometimes you just need a break to get your mojo back.

Will be interesting to see what cheap and chatty bin fodder emerges from the new Gimcrack section. That's the joy of collecting. Often it's the totally disposable, least thought out ephemera that are the most interesting pieces . That's the beauty of Star Wars collecting.

Looking forward to the next one.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom