Time Wasters!

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Getting increasingly frustrated with the amount of time wasters in the hobby at the mo. I seem to be on a really bad streak both with people buying stuff from me and me trying to buy stuff from others.

Have been messed around by so many people saying things like 'I'll definitely have it- can you keep it a couple of weeks?' Then not hearing from them again, or asking for another extension.

Have also been offered a few bits and bobs (my grail pieces) by various people only for them to be really elusive when trying to complete the deal. Had a few recently, where it looks like a deal is about to be done, then they just seem to disappear off the face of the Earth. There's very little common decency with a lot of people- no manners.

These things happen from time to time- it's the nature of collecting. However, it seems pretty much every deal for me recently has ended up like this and it's really starting to get on my tits! :lol: It's actually starting to put me off the hobby.

Anyone else had similar bad luck recently?

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Cazza said:
definitely have it- can you keep it a couple of weeks?' Then not hearing from them again, or asking for another extension.

That bit you can kinda solve. Ask them for a (non refundable) deposit now. If they say no, it stays on the market. If they say yes and piss you about you keep the deposit. The only issue is if they keep asking for extensions. That's where you use your discretion. If you set out the rules when you take the deposit, send it in an email/message to them, then they can't have any complaints if you keep their deposit. Ie, item to be paid for in full, minus deposit, on X date.

It does seem a bit if a bastard thing to do but ppl are very good at pissing about when it suits them.

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Indeed- I've taken deposits in the past, and have paid deposits when buying. Think I may start taking deposits again, unless I know the buyer.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
This is why I like dealing face to face at FF or EL, or the NEC. There's no messing around, although having said that, I did have one chap buy several loose figures form me, walked off seemingly happy, then 20 minutes later came back and said 'can I have my money back please? I've seen some other figures on another stall I want more than these.'

I will give 10 points to the first person who can guess my response...

subzero

Sith Lord
I usually get the annoying lazy ass twats when I wanna buy something, like you say when you're about to do a deal they vanish and are hard to track down, or even worse with what iv'e had several times is completing the deal and sending the money over, to then get the slowest and worst customer service on the planet where it takes over 1 month for the item to arrive, and takes them a week to reply to a simple message.

I also hate the ones where they agree on a deal so you respond and say "yes lets do this" then they don't respond for several days and you have to do their job for them and keep reminding them to get things done lol. HATE those ones! :evil:

Some people really amaze me, it makes me wonder do they really want to sell this thing they're selling??, this ebay seller from 2 months ago angered me a bit, I sent a message saying "is there any paint missing or damage on the reverse?".. to get the reply saying "i'll let you know tomorrow when I get time to look at it", got no response for 2 days so I asked again, then waited another day for a response saying "i'll let you know tonight when i'm home", didn't get a reply so I contacted again the next day asking if he has looked at it yet, then he replied 1 day later saying "sorry I don't have time cus of the missus, kids and the dog and that"....... :!: :?:

Then the auction ended and the lazy prick lost out on an extra bidder!

lejackal

Grand Master
SublevelStudios said:
This is why I like dealing face to face at FF or EL, or the NEC. There's no messing around, although having said that, I did have one chap buy several loose figures form me, walked off seemingly happy, then 20 minutes later came back and said 'can I have my money back please? I've seen some other figures on another stall I want more than these.'

I will give 10 points to the first person who can guess my response...
I can guess what it was but I think you missed a trick there. You should have said they're used now, I'll buy them for half what you paid if you like :lol:

MarkG

Jedi Master
Yup.. put my interest on an item last week and asked for a couple more pics... got those ok and said I wanted said item..... no reply.

Found out a few days later someone else bought it as they thought I wasn't interested !! Errr...

Also seen another collector finalising a purchase deal on a few grail items.... seller now gone very shady.

boba76

Padawan
Listed an item on eBay with a buy it now and best offer. Received a best offer which suited me and so clicked agreed. I then receive a message a few hours later to say they can't now do the deal ! Joke

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Some people just have no decency. I've had it on this forum and facebook when trying to buy things. People want everything done in five minutes, they won't help you or answer a query, just sell it to someone else.

db94

Sith Lord
Supporter
Robstyley said:
Some people just have no decency. I've had it on this forum and facebook when trying to buy things. People want everything done in five minutes, they won't help you or answer a query, just sell it to someone else.

Yep - was first to message a seller that had listed an item on here with a price bit no postage. Asked him how much for postage, he replied with a price, said I'd take it but his response - sorry it's sold!

Hooch

Jedi Knight
Yep, I can sympathise with you. It's happened to me on here and Fb
I once shown interest in a moc on here, said I was happy to take it just let me know the total with postage only to get a reply they sold it as they didn't think I would like the postage quote :roll:
Fb it happens more frequent. Most recently about a month ago I asked about a few items in the US from 'respected sellers', after message was read within hours a week passes but still no reply. I sent another asking about them, they replied they lost my message but got the 'ok it's yours, what's your paypal for a invoice' reply with total cost. I replied right away, another week passes before that message was read and now another week has gone by and still no reply and no invoice

Cazza

Staff member
Supporter
Very frustrating! I definitely find Facebook worse. I only sell on there as a last resort. Very few people post feedback or even let you know they've received the item, even though I always ask them to.

I've generally had very good experiences on here- there is a good buyer/seller etiquette and the feedback section is superb. Just seems to have gone a bit wrong recently :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
For the very first time I messaged a seller on facebook a couple of weeks ago to buy a figure after I got a PM on here responding to my wanted post, he was apparently a known seller in one of the FB groups. He replied within a couple of hours and said it was still available for sale so I thought "buzzin".. I said yes i'm interested and to reply with a couple of pictures and his price so he said he will do it for me when he gets home later that day..... he never replied back :lol: not even out of courtesy to let me know what's happening and just left me hanging.

Well that's my first and definitely my last FB buying attempt because i'll never waste my time again with inconsiderate FB morons.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
I know what you mean. Sometimes when I ask seller for pictures then I sometimes do not get them and seller do not write back about if the items is sold or if it is beacuse he do not have time for it. I think it is not nice when they write back that they will take some extra pictures and then I do not get any :(

I have the same problem here in denmark on other sites where I also trade and sell star wars. People write that they will buy something and then they write back later that they do not want it or that they do not have the money etc. etc. etc. that makes me angry and sad.

The worst thing is when friends ask for help with some extra vintage star wars toy that I would love to sell cheap because they do not have so much money and then a few months later or a year later they sell it all and for a full pirce. Then a few years or months later they begin to collect again and then I get the same message again. I have started to collect again can you help me with some cheap figures :roll: I have known people in more than 10 years that have done that 4 or 5 times. I don't think that is nice when people do that again and again. I am beginning to think that some just do it to try to earn extra money and use their friends.

jedisearcher

Sith Lord
There are a lot of people with the attention span of a goldfish out there, if a deal isn't done instantly then chances are it won't get done. Everything has to be instant or they go tripping off elsewhere. Throw away world we live in.

Fawns61

Padawan
jedisearcher said:
There are a lot of people with the attention span of a goldfish out there, if a deal isn't done instantly then chances are it won't get done. Everything has to be instant or they go tripping off elsewhere. Throw away world we live in.

Think you've hit the nail on the head there, jedisearcher. They all want things 'yesterday', for as little money as possible, and without putting any time or effort into it. I despair of the world my grandkids are growing up in.

They'll never know the excitement of waiting for the 'snail mail' to bring them the photos they sent off to be developed by Tru Print (after finally using up the full roll of film), to usually then discover that only about 5 of the 24 were any good - the rest being over-exposed, head missing, low quality etc.

Or even using an old corded telephone with a dial - waiting for it to finish rotating back before you could put the next number in.

Ooops, showing my age now, ha ha!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom