It happened today in Star Wars history

Simply Sci-fi

Jedi Knight
This day in Star Wars history.

Although Great Britain did not receive Star Wars on May 25th 1977 along with the USA, the public were introduced to the film from day one. The British publicity campaign was such an onslaught that by the time October arrived, the entire country had gone Star Wars crazy, even though the film would not be released until December 27th. The Star Wars theme by Meco was being played constantly on the radio and on the 1st October 1977 it reached its highest chart position of no 7 on the UK top 40. Remarkably it was the same day that the single reached no 1 in the USA. I have not found a cover for the British release by Chappell and Co and it is the French version that is often found by collectors. I'd be interested if anyone has found a British cover.

Also on the 1st October newspapers reported that Carrie Fisher had arrived in Britain in order to add weight to the promotion of Star Wars. The Daily Express headline was "Carrie, the Star Wars Princess." Carrie Fisher never did escape her Star Wars persona in British newspapers. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqd_OFYA9xw

Attachments

• carriecutting.jpg
    carriecutting.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 583
  • mecostarwarssingle.jpg
    mecostarwarssingle.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 585

subzero

Sith Lord
Interesting, I never knew there was Star Wars mania before the film was even released, I was always under the impression that everyone thought the public wouldn't care much about it, and then it was an unexpected massive success after it was released in cinema.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
It had been a tried and tested success stateside so it was a safe bet that we'd lap it up too. I'm a little too young to remember 1977 but I remember having to wait for other films that were already established winners.

Meco charting so well during that limbo period is a perfect example. I've airways been curious as to how it would have been shown on TOTP as I've never found an official promo video/ film for it. Due to bizarrely strict TOTP rules they'd have pretty much had to show it. I was about to find out when BBC4 repeats caught up with October 1977 a number of years ago. Unfortunately, shortly before it was due to air, the host was found out to be the country's most prolific sex offender so that was the end of that.

Maybe it was Pan's People doing a silly routine similar to what I've seen other shows do along to the tune.

subzero

Sith Lord
Ahh I misread the original post a little bit as it was 7am and my eyes were hanging out of my head :lol:

I didn't know the UK had to wait so long after the US release, so that explains that then lol

Still amazing when you think about what word of mouth and clever advertising can do to peoples perceptions to cause mania, to people who hadn't even seen the damn thing yet.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
chipsteak said:
It had been a tried and tested success stateside so it was a safe bet that we'd lap it up too. I'm a little too young to remember 1977 but I remember having to wait for other films that were already established winners.

Meco charting so well during that limbo period is a perfect example. I've airways been curious as to how it would have been shown on TOTP as I've never found an official promo video/ film for it. Due to bizarrely strict TOTP rules they'd have pretty much had to show it. I was about to find out when BBC4 repeats caught up with October 1977 a number of years ago. Unfortunately, shortly before it was due to air, the host was found out to be the country's most prolific sex offender so that was the end of that.

Maybe it was Pan's People doing a silly routine similar to what I've seen other shows do along to the tune.
I would have said Pan's People frolicking about to it was a pretty safe bet, but by 1977 the gig had gone to Legs & Co, after Ruby Flipper (who?!) lasted about 5 minutes between the two much better known dance acts (am I showing my age? :lol:). TOTP was never shy about using its dance troupes, especially in those days when pop videos / promos were still a relative rarity, so if the Star Wars theme was aired, I'm sure it was probably danced to! :D

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
You know your TOTP dance troupes, sir. :D

I'll bet it involved very un-Starwarsy robot dance moves like I've seen on other country's variety turns based on Meco. That would have been the last time they'd have gotten away with it, to a large extent, what with none of us having seen the film yet.

subzero

Sith Lord
chipsteak said:
I'll bet it involved very un-Starwarsy robot dance moves

Star Wars would be a massive failure before it even started if that was done today, the cheese is real, I feel cringed just imagining it :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
Mrleemur said:
yup, definitely un-starwarsy!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0PLHZhvg4Y

Attachments

• 85abe061e550f1357021d5c0729dbce9.jpg
    85abe061e550f1357021d5c0729dbce9.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 497

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Snaketibe said:
chipsteak said:

I would have said Pan's People frolicking about to it was a pretty safe bet, but by 1977 the gig had gone to Legs & Co, after Ruby Flipper (who?!) lasted about 5 minutes between the two much better known dance acts (am I showing my age? :lol:). TOTP was never shy about using its dance troupes, especially in those days when pop videos / promos were still a relative rarity, so if the Star Wars theme was aired, I'm sure it was probably danced to! :D

I think it worrying that you freely admit to such an in-depth knowledge of TOTP dance acts! :D :shock:
And yes I also remember Ruby Flipper, flipping awful, even in those days. :?

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
From my own vault of YouTube tat, here's evidence that the Germans were off their rockers AND still doing robot dances to Meco well into the ESB era, if this is anything to go by! Really, it's off its tits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCcgBLizbzc&feature=youtu.be&

I'd recommend watching the whole video if you want to see some of the most absurd Star Wars bandwagoning 1980 had to offer. And Mark Hamill joins in, no less!

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
chipsteak said:
You know your TOTP dance troupes, sir. :D

Mini99 said:
I think it worrying that you freely admit to such an in-depth knowledge of TOTP dance acts! :D :shock:
And yes I also remember Ruby Flipper, flipping awful, even in those days. :?

What can I say? I watched a lot of Top of the Pops as a kid! :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
chipsteak said:
From my own vault of YouTube tat, here's evidence that the Germans were off their rockers AND still doing robot dances to Meco well into the ESB era, if this is anything to go by! Really, it's off its tits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCcgBLizbzc&feature=youtu.be&

I'd recommend watching the whole video if you want to see some of the most absurd Star Wars bandwagoning 1980 had to offer. And Mark Hamill joins in, no less!

That was... really... er... Just what the hell was that?! :shock: :wink:

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Can't get the link to work, comes up saying that the video is not available, oh well it appears that I'm not missing much :? :roll:

subzero

Sith Lord
Mini99 said:
Can't get the link to work, comes up saying that the video is not available, oh well it appears that I'm not missing much :? :roll:

Run! :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom