Header image

What are Your Favourite & Least Favourite Vintage Weapons / Accessories?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: What are Your Favourite & Least Favourite Vintage Weapons / Accessories?

Postby Snaketibe » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:36 pm

Robstyley wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:2) Snowtrooper's / Dengar's Rifle - WTF?! That thing isn't even in the films! There was a perfectly good Imperial blaster they could have given the Snowtrooper, but instead they foisted that enormous barge pole on the figure. When he held it in his outstretched arm it reached out about fifty feet in front of him wherever he went! Ridiculous!

I think it is in the films, it's meant to be this - the large Stormtrooper blaster based on a German MG34 machine gun. Although strangely it's mostly seen in Star Wars on Tatooine and the Death Star. Might be a peek of a Snowtrooper holding one in Empire? Dunno.

image.jpg.

Pomse2001 wrote:About Snowtrooper's / Dengar's Rifle. That one is in the film. Dengar have one, but I have never seen them on snowtroopers. But stormtroopers use them in ANH, Luke have one on the death star see links and pictures :wink:

I agree that it might be that it's SUPPOSED to be that particular rifle, but if so it's a truly terrible likeness! So much so in fact, that it's really only Kenner who could say for sure. The biggest divergence is the second hand grip towards the front of the figure's gun, which is completely absent from the on-screen rifle, which instead had a sniper's mount / ground support / whatever you'd call it. Whatever it is, it's certainly not a second hand grip. And since it therefore doesn't really look like any on-screen weapon, I still contend that it's not really from the film, and certainly stand by my assertion that Kenner should have given a regular Imperial blaster to the Snowtrooper and moulded a more accurate rifle for Dengar... After all, they managed it for IG-88 :-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pizzathehutt
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby pizzathehutt » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:15 pm

I really like the rebel blaster, the likeness is good and I really like the solid fit into greedo's hand
I also like chewbaccas crossbow and the trooper blasters

not keen on madine stick or leia boushh enourmous gun
'Nutch Vader! Teeblo Carbon'

maxf
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby maxf » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:33 pm

Least favourite is probably Zuckuss' rifle... straight out of the GI Joe scrapbook. Maybe Boushh's gunstaffpole.

Best is probably Yoda's little belt/coat and snake - just great!
Detailed WTB list here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=32243

Includes: Loose figures, Palitoy MOCs, Meccano 20bks, Vehicles, Mailers, Paperwork and more.

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:00 pm

I hear a few guys saying they welcomed the Luke Bespin sabre but I loved the original ( ok, single-telescoping ) sabres. Great playability - you could even make the noise along with extending it. C'mon? :D One of my earliest SW memories is thinking the Vader sabre was the bee's knees. An obvious choice is the removable helmets - especially Boushh IMO. And, less obviously, I loved the Jawa and Tusken accessories. Which was a shame because I lost them within days.

Crap one's - Boushh's thing that appears to the least practical rifle. It's made worse by the fact that she can't hold it like a pole terribly easily. Speaking of which - the fact that many of the figures don't hold their weapons easily is the bane of my life now I have a disease that affects my hands. It's not unusual for me to shout "oh f*** off Kenner" when trying to get a Biker Scout to hold his gun at a non-jaunty angle.

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:48 pm

Oh my god, is that a rifle that Ree Yees has, I have always thought it was a staff! :o
What a load of crap, a gold rifle, well I never, has got to be the worse surely?

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 am

chipsteak wrote:It's not unusual for me to shout "oh f*** off Kenner" when trying to get a Biker Scout to hold his gun at a non-jaunty angle.

I hate it when figures don't hold a weapon at all, I have 3 figures that don't hold it at any angle and it just drops straight out of the hand, I have to use blu-tac :lol:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:00 am

Snaketibe wrote:
Robstyley wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:2) Snowtrooper's / Dengar's Rifle - WTF?! That thing isn't even in the films! There was a perfectly good Imperial blaster they could have given the Snowtrooper, but instead they foisted that enormous barge pole on the figure. When he held it in his outstretched arm it reached out about fifty feet in front of him wherever he went! Ridiculous!

I think it is in the films, it's meant to be this - the large Stormtrooper blaster based on a German MG34 machine gun. Although strangely it's mostly seen in Star Wars on Tatooine and the Death Star. Might be a peek of a Snowtrooper holding one in Empire? Dunno.

image.jpg.

Pomse2001 wrote:About Snowtrooper's / Dengar's Rifle. That one is in the film. Dengar have one, but I have never seen them on snowtroopers. But stormtroopers use them in ANH, Luke have one on the death star see links and pictures :wink:

I agree that it might be that it's SUPPOSED to be that particular rifle, but if so it's a truly terrible likeness! So much so in fact, that it's really only Kenner who could say for sure. The biggest divergence is the second hand grip towards the front of the figure's gun, which is completely absent from the on-screen rifle, which instead had a sniper's mount / ground support / whatever you'd call it. Whatever it is, it's certainly not a second hand grip. And since it therefore doesn't really look like any on-screen weapon, I still contend that it's not really from the film, and certainly stand by my assertion that Kenner should have given a regular Imperial blaster to the Snowtrooper and moulded a more accurate rifle for Dengar... After all, they managed it for IG-88 :-)

I agree the hand grip can confuse and does not look like the one in the movie. Maybe kenner thought it was a hand grip :?

Stubbs
Regular
Regular

Postby Stubbs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:50 pm

Michael from retro blasting did a really good in depth look at some of the weapons on his you tube channel. Its a good watch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lC3QteI7L2Y
Last edited by Stubbs on Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:41 pm

Favourite weapon was Stormtrooper blaster, good all rounder and easy to find.

Bossk rifle was the most annoying, still not sure how Bossk is meant to hold it.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:44 am

theforceuk wrote:Favourite weapon was Stormtrooper blaster, good all rounder and easy to find.

Bossk rifle was the most annoying, still not sure how Bossk is meant to hold it.

When I was a child playing with them, I always thought it was strange that I had a blue stormtrooper blaster and none of them was blue in the movie :lol: But it is a cool weapon :D

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby SAVORY100 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Smuggler Blaster is my favourite by far and not just because of my love for all things Solo, I just love the scale, the shape, the way it fits in Greedo's hand and Han Hoth's holster...

Least favourite has to be (as others have said) Bossk's rifle, simply impossible to hold unless its wedged in somehow... daft.
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

olisuds
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby olisuds » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:16 pm

My Top 3? Are foreign included? Great! :-)

1) Glasslite Hoth Stormtrooper Rifle

2) Glasslite Silver Jawa Blaster

3) Top Toys Chewbacca Bowcaster - I dont know whether this goes in my favourite 3 or worst 3... but its certainly unusual

My Least favourite:

1) Amanaman staff
2)Teebo staff
3) Logray staff

(Pictures borrowed from Imperial Gunnery)
WTB: R5-D4 Proof Cards & Cromalins
Looking for R5-D4 ESB 48c back proof card (Admiral Ackbar offer)!!
Looking for R5-D4 POTF cromalin!!

Russ J
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Russ J » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:43 pm

Dr_Ball_MD wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:2) Yoda Snake - I think it was strange that Yoda had a snake, because he did not have one in the movie.

Wasn't there a snake in his house in ESB?

Yes there was a snake in Yoda's house in ESB...not around his neck though...it was on a plate if I remember rightly and Luke moved it when he needed the plate (something along those lines)...so not really a 'pet' as such...I assume thats why Kenner released the the snake accessory with the Yoda figure.....

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Russ J wrote:
Dr_Ball_MD wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:2) Yoda Snake - I think it was strange that Yoda had a snake, because he did not have one in the movie.

Wasn't there a snake in his house in ESB?

Yes there was a snake in Yoda's house in ESB...not around his neck though...it was on a plate if I remember rightly and Luke moved it when he needed the plate (something along those lines)...so not really a 'pet' as such...I assume thats why Kenner released the the snake accessory with the Yoda figure.....

I think you are right about that, maybe why they gave yoda a snake :?

Section 8
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Section 8 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:10 am

Best

1. Imperial Blaster - Majority of character hold this well and is the main blaster you see in the films.
2. AT AT Driver Rifle - Good for shooting or throwing over the shoulder.
3. Luke Jedi CLOAK. - See below.

Worst

1. Vader / Ben / Lando Cloaks - Crap plastic with their arms poking out through them. They should be renamed as long waste coats as they are not fucking cloaks. If you put them on backwards it reminds me of art class in primary school.
2. Leia Organa / Bespin blasters - They look pathetic when you see the details on other weapons. (also now too expensive)
3. Ree Yees gun - Same reasons as above.
"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”