I've seen many a post and poll over the years asking collectors what their favourite Vintage figure is, and I always enjoy taking part in them. However, what about those (increasingly expensive these days
) tiny plastic weapons and accessories the figures came with? What are your favourite and least favourite items in that field and why? Are there any that really make you smile with delight, or wince in pain?
Being very, very old these days
I can remember what my favourites were as a child in the 70's and 80's, and which ones left me thoroughly underwhelmed or annoyed! I was very good at not losing any of my weapons, but that certainly didn't mean I liked them all equally, so here's my personal top likes and loathes:
Top 3 Likes:
1) Luke Bespin Lightsaber - It shouldn't have been my favourite as it was the wrong damn colour, but I loved the fact Luke could finally hold a saber properly! This was my childhood #1 weapon on my favourite childhood figure!... I did still wish it was blue though!
2) Han Solo's / Rebel Blaster - Iconic and pretty accurate for such a small scale. I liked the fact it came in different colours and that Luke Bespin came with one in addition to his saber; that's some great accessory value there Kenner!
3) Yoda's Cloak - Not really sure what the hell Yoda was doing coming with a snake around his neck as I certainly don't remember seeing that in the film, but that little fella also came with a magnificent soft goods cloak that I just loved as a kid!
Top 3 Dislikes:
3) Cloud Car Pilot's Communicator - It was very small and very easily lost, but I never lost mine so that's not why I disliked it. I disliked it because Kenner nade the Pilot's left arm permanently crooked in a stupid pose in order to 'use' it! Take the communicator away and he looks like a waiter missing a towel over his arm.
2) Snowtrooper's / Dengar's Rifle - WTF?! That thing isn't even in the films! There was a perfectly good Imperial blaster they could have given the Snowtrooper, but instead they foisted that enormous barge pole on the figure. When he held it in his outstretched arm it reached out about fifty feet in front of him wherever he went! Ridiculous!
1) General Madine's Stick - Really, has there ever been a more crap accessory on a more crap figure? Watch out Darth Vader with your bright red lethal lightsaber! General Madine's got a white stick!... All he needs now is a guide dog to go with it.
OK, those are my choices. What are yours?