Header image

Klaatu over-representation

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Klaatu over-representation

Postby Snaketibe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:44 pm

chipsteak wrote:
ScruffyLookingNH wrote: Klaatu in his PJs .......but what about other shots?

:D

There's that shot that appears on the Luke Jedi card. In it's wider form, Klaatu is pulling some sinister shapes behind him. None of which explains why this exists....

..in an ESB box no less suggesting he was some sort of preview character for ROTJ. With the tag-line 'You thought Boba Fett was hardly in The Empire Strikes Back!? Meet Klaatu - coming soon in Revenge Of The Jedi'.

That's insane! An Empire boxed Klaatu mask and costume in what can only be some sort of preview release, as you say. And yet he wasn't a preview figure; that duty fell to the almost as unexciting Admiral Ackbar... Quite bizarre! :?

xbomber
Regular
Regular

Postby xbomber » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:05 pm

I remember our local Elf garage getting some figures circa 1984. Obviously distress sales to shift what they had left. It was just a load of Klaatu, Weequay and Ree Yees. I still bought them though.
This 'lower end' collector has 2 VCJs, 2 mint yaks (one graded) and one near mint blue snag. Not bad for a 'lower end' collector! lol

Section 8
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Section 8 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:16 am

"He gets not only two figures"

To be pedantic he doesn't get two figures. They are two separate characters in the film.

The Klaatu mask in an ESB box is interesting.
"Anger and intolerance are the enemies of correct understanding."

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:45 am

chipsteak wrote:
ScruffyLookingNH wrote: Klaatu in his PJs .......but what about other shots?

:D

There's that shot that appears on the Luke Jedi card. In it's wider form, Klaatu is pulling some sinister shapes behind him. None of which explains why this exists....

..in an ESB box no less suggesting he was some sort of preview character for ROTJ. With the tag-line 'You thought Boba Fett was hardly in The Empire Strikes Back!? Meet Klaatu - coming soon in Revenge Of The Jedi'.

Brilliant! Never seen that before. All this does is deepen mystery as to his prominence. Now there's an interview I'd like to hear.

Section 8, you're quite right: that's pedantic :lol: There may be some character back story to the ugly twins that differentiates between them but when two cards say "Klaatu" and look the same that really doesn't matter to an 8 year old kid.....or me! If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck I'm reaching for the hoisin sauce :D

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”