Header image

Klaatu over-representation

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Klaatu over-representation

Postby chipsteak » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:57 pm

The mention, on the VR podcast, of Paploo appearing alongside mainstream characters on some German merchandise got me thinking about over-representation of Klaatu.

Now, I have a theory about the Paploo thing. Kenny Baker's Ewok ( now Paploo ) was supposed to be our leading Ewok character until Warwick Davis's Ewok stepped in at the last minute due to short-term illness. Perhaps some images of the lesser-known Ewok went to licensees due to this switch.

Klaatu, though! He gets not only two figures but appears in oddball alongside main characters in 3D stickers and, most oddly, his own Halloween costume. A kid dressed as Klaatu for Halloween 1983 would spend all evening explaining who he was meant to be. What was with the big Klaatu sell? I'm not aware of any cut scenes that feature him prominently.

Any ideas?

poncho
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Klaatu over-representation

Postby poncho » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:15 pm

klaatu was played by corey williams. billy dee williams (lando) son. maybe something in that?!....maybe

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:06 pm

I clearly remember just prior to Christmas 1983 all my mates and I were desperate for a Klaatu for some reason. Ended up we all got 4 each and that was that. But for a short time, he was in big demand.

I've heard others say the same pre-Christmas 83. Perhaps they overproduced him expecting a major sell and thats why they ended up with loads of unsold stock?

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:10 pm

He also featured prominently on the Collect all 79 display.

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:11 pm

poncho wrote:klaatu was played by corey williams. billy dee williams (lando) son. maybe something in that?!....maybe

I never knew that!

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:21 pm

Dannywhiteley wrote:He also featured prominently on the Collect all 79 display.

I just looked it up. So he does, and so does Prune Face. :lol:

Yeah Williams Jnr played Klaatu in his skiff version in Yuma. There's a different guy playing him in the palace scenes in London as seen in the old 'Making Of' specials.

elcroz
Regular
Regular

Postby elcroz » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:33 pm

After a nuclear war the world will be populated by Cockroaches & Klaatu’s.

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:27 am

Throughout the entire ROTJ film they actually added in subliminal messages every couple of minutes that flashed up for a single frame, with messages such as 'you love Klaatu', and 'buy a Klaatu figure'

True story :lol:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:40 pm

So he's not only over-represented generally, he also has the dubious distinction of being one of the figures with the most variants overall! (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34008). I really do struggle to like him though, and when I first got back into collecting in the early 90's, carded Klaatus seemed to be everywhere. One local collectables shop had a box of them he couldn't shift at £4 each :lol:

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:54 pm

Snaketibe wrote:So he's not only over-represented generally, he also has the dubious distinction of being one of the figures with the most variants overall! (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34008). I really do struggle to like him though, and when I first got back into collecting in the early 90's, carded Klaatus seemed to be everywhere. One local collectables shop had a box of them he couldn't shift at £4 each :lol:

He's one of my favourites for that very reason. A bin full of them in a Bradford toy shop in the early 90s was a memorable find
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:59 pm

spoons wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:So he's not only over-represented generally, he also has the dubious distinction of being one of the figures with the most variants overall! (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34008). I really do struggle to like him though, and when I first got back into collecting in the early 90's, carded Klaatus seemed to be everywhere. One local collectables shop had a box of them he couldn't shift at £4 each :lol:

He's one of my favourites for that very reason. A bin full of them in a Bradford toy shop in the early 90s was a memorable find

Well, I may not care for him that much, but I'd still love to find a bin of MOC ones at £4 each today! :D

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:37 pm

He’s been the entry level loose and MOC figure for 25 years, that deserves respect :) although I have noticed recently he’s gone up on a trilogo card for some bizarre reason, I guess it only takes a couple of fools to pay £100

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:28 pm

Interesting topic! Did Klaatu feature particularly heavily in the early publicity shots at all? I know he features in the heavily used image of Luke on the deck of the mainskiff, with Klaatu in his PJs running towards him with another skiff goon squaring up to Luke, but what about other shots? Is he the 80s equivalent of Zuvvio? And yes, two figures did seem way OTT for him. Never got that. Klaatu in PJs is possibly one of my least favourite figures. Possibly lower than Anakin and even Madine. There, I said it.

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:42 pm

ScruffyLookingNH wrote: Klaatu in his PJs .......but what about other shots?

:D

There's that shot that appears on the Luke Jedi card. In it's wider form, Klaatu is pulling some sinister shapes behind him. None of which explains why this exists....

..in an ESB box no less suggesting he was some sort of preview character for ROTJ. With the tag-line 'You thought Boba Fett was hardly in The Empire Strikes Back!? Meet Klaatu - coming soon in Revenge Of The Jedi'.

jedisearcher
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby jedisearcher » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:41 pm

Dannywhiteley wrote:I clearly remember just prior to Christmas 1983 all my mates and I were desperate for a Klaatu for some reason. Ended up we all got 4 each and that was that. But for a short time, he was in big demand.

I've heard others say the same pre-Christmas 83. Perhaps they overproduced him expecting a major sell and thats why they ended up with loads of unsold stock?

He was the last ROTJ 65 back figure released in the UK. Every kid in the toy shop had everything else except him, but interest had waned by the time he hit the shelves so shed loads of stock remained unsold. By the time 77 backs hit the shelves who'd have wanted a crappy unseen alien. I'd imagine Palitoy were flooded with the returns.
WTB thread - most Palitoy 30b's and 3 debut 45a's: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17224

Memories from a 1980s Toy Shop: http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24289

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”