Header image

The beginning of the end?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: The beginning of the end?

Postby subzero » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:17 pm

I just don't see a downturn at all for the next several decades, not that prices will just keep going up & up forever because nothing can do that, but at least not a collapse in prices.

Over the next 20 or 30 years the only thing I can see causing a downturn in prices is a global economic crash & hyper inflation so bad that the last thing everyone will be thinking of and have any money for is toys.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Grant_C
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Grant_C » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:22 pm

I don't see any downturn either. See plenty of evidence to suggest the opposite.

I think a lot of the MOCs that come on the market are not of the quality that we had a few years ago and are demanding huge sums for kenner Jedi MOCs.

Be interested to see what Jarad can show us with his Tracker.

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:36 pm

I noticed that prices peaked in May, do you reckon this would of had anything to do with renewed interest surrounding the 40th Anniversary on the 25th?

Prices have definitely dropped off at the moment (I would say as much as 20% lower than May / June prices for C8 loose, though mint is still commanding a premium). I don’t know about other items because that’s what I mostly collect.

Would you expect prices to increase again in December and after Christmas with the release of The Last Jedi?
’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe...
--------------------------------------------------------
Stop your Jibba-Jabba you Big Walking Carpet

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:03 pm

Personally I hope prices come down across the board, means my money will go further. It has to be said though that there are always bargains out there, you just need to have patience, know what you’re looking for and have a bit of luck

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:54 pm

lejackal wrote:you just need to have patience, know what you’re looking for and have a bit of luck

Yep a lot of luck is def needed too, iv'e seen a good handful of very nice deals appear on ebay for like 30 seconds until it's snapped up and I missed out on them. On the other hand iv'e also managed to bag a few that just happened to be listed the second I decided to take a look, so it can be done with patience.
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”