Header image

The Usual 'How Not To Post A Carded Figure' Moan

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: The Usual 'How Not To Post A Carded Figure' Moan

Postby Mini99 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:45 pm

weasel wrote:Feel free to name the seller so we can add him to our lists of twats to avoid.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You never cease to brighten my day, thanks
You so eloquently know how to call a spade a spade!

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:06 pm

At least you can post it in the bargain £50 or less MOC thread now. :)
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Fawns61 wrote:
Snaketibe wrote:
One last point about the initial questions you ask about the packaging before bidding; never assume anything! Just because the postage charge is high, low or middling means absolutely nothing! Unless the auction very clearly states how the item will be packaged for posting (and quite frankly, why wouldn't you want to reassure buyers of a high-value and or easily damaged item that they are safe to buy from you?!), always assume the seller hasn't got a clue about packaging and ask your questions. As Mini99 and Edd both say, educate the seller and risk patronising them by asking what really should be an insulting question to them, if they know what they're doing.

Some examples I have used are things like:

"As you may know, with Vintage Star Wars toys the condition of the box / packaging is usually more important than the toy. Any damage decreases the value. Please can you confirm how you will package this for posting, to ensure the toy cannot rattle about inside its box and damage either itself or the Star Wars box, and also how the Star Wars box itself will then be packed for posting to ensure it cannot be damaged in transit? Will you, for example, carefully pack out the Star Wars box with clean plastic bags, tissue paper or bubble wrap (with no tape on it) to stop the toy from moving, and then carefully pack the Star Wars box in a much larger, very sturdy double-walled cardboard box with several inches of clean, tape-free padding on all 6 sides of the toy's box? Having no tape touching the toy's box is very important as it can damage it."

or

"Will you, for example, send this figure protected inside a Star Case, with that then bubble-wrapped and packed in a much larger, very sturdy double-walled cardboard box with several inches of padding on all 6 sides?"

Please don't shoot me down for this but people on here are generally serious collectors, so of course they want the best and for the item to be received in the same condition it was listed at, which is as it should be, especially when they are not cheap.

However most Evilbay sellers are probably not aware of the importance of protecting the packaging as well as the actual item, or have seen how badly parcels can get treated on their journey. They just sell them for the best price they can get, pack them up and ship them off. The above suggestions will probably sound OTT to them.

I have sold things on the bay in the past and believed I had always packaged them very carefully and thoroughly but I never thought to put them in two boxes. I consistently got good feedback for them being well-packaged too. Obviously in the future I will take even more care. I just wanted to show that even 'careful' sellers can get it wrong!

I would not have taken offence at anyone wanting things packaged in a certain way, as long as any extra postage costs were accounted for if needed. I sent one loose figure to the USA where the buyer had asked me to take extra care with the hands on it, so I wrapped it as best I could and he raved over the 'creative' packaging being great.

This forum is brilliant and I am learning so much. I had never even considered how figures could rattle about in transit and damage the bubbles for instance.

I certainly won't shoot you down; you're entitled to your opinion just as much as I am :-)

However, I think you may have misunderstood one point, and that regards double-walled cardboard boxes. That's not the same thing as double-boxing, which is indeed packing your item in one cardboard box, and then packing that box inside another larger cardboard box (although double-boxing is a recognised, acceptable and even desirable technique for sending very expensive and or highly delicate items). However, a double-walled cardboard box is simply one cardboard box where the sides are made of two layers of corrugations, rather than just one, and hence is far, far stronger :-)

singledoublewall_lg-890x400w.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby weasel » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:54 pm

Mini99 wrote:
weasel wrote:Feel free to name the seller so we can add him to our lists of twats to avoid.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
You never cease to brighten my day, thanks
You so eloquently know how to call a spade a spade!

Diplomacy is my strong point 8)
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:20 am

kieatky wrote:I've been in contact with the seller who so far has been very apologetic. We've agree a partial refund of £20 so if this is done then it means I've only paid £45 for a carded figure (will have to move this post to the under £50 thread). However the seller advises they are currently abroad and can't sort the refund till they return at the weekend. I'm a bit sceptical but will give them the benefit of the doubt. All communication has been via E-Bay messaging so have a 'paper' trail of our correspondence. My concern goes out for the buyer of the other carded figure this person sold (a nice tri logo original Han Solo), if this was sent out the same as mine I'd be extremely pissed off to say the least.

That is a very bad packing. I don't think I have ever received any vintage moc like that :shock: But many years ago I got about 20 moc for the 90s star wars line packed in only brown paper, most of the cards was bend or damaged :roll: but I also got a partial refund when I asked for it.

I am glad to read that he offered you a partial refund :wink: I will be very surprised if he will try to trick you and not pay you back :wink:

Fawns61
New User
New User

Postby Fawns61 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:26 pm

Snaketibe wrote:I certainly won't shoot you down; you're entitled to your opinion just as much as I am :-)

However, I think you may have misunderstood one point, and that regards double-walled cardboard boxes. That's not the same thing as double-boxing, which is indeed packing your item in one cardboard box, and then packing that box inside another larger cardboard box (although double-boxing is a recognised, acceptable and even desirable technique for sending very expensive and or highly delicate items). However, a double-walled cardboard box is simply one cardboard box where the sides are made of two layers of corrugations, rather than just one, and hence is far, far stronger :-)

singledoublewall_lg-890x400w.jpg

Many thanks for that, Snaketibe - learning more and more on here each day. The photos are a great help too :)

kieatky
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby kieatky » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 pm

Finally got my partial refund so not a bad outcome. Seller has been genuinely helpful in the end albeit a little slow. Still gutted about the way the figure was sent and the resulting damage to the bubble :x

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:32 am

kieatky wrote:Finally got my partial refund so not a bad outcome. Seller has been genuinely helpful in the end albeit a little slow. Still gutted about the way the figure was sent and the resulting damage to the bubble :x

That is great news that you got a refund :wink:

Snaketibe
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Snaketibe » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:13 pm

kieatky wrote:Finally got my partial refund so not a bad outcome. Seller has been genuinely helpful in the end albeit a little slow. Still gutted about the way the figure was sent and the resulting damage to the bubble :x

Well done on the partial refund, but commiserations on the damage in the first place. At least if the seller has been helpful they may have learned their lesson and not do the same again to someone else. That doesn't help you, but it might help another collector.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”