Header image

To break or not to break?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Cazza
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: To break or not to break?

Postby Cazza » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:52 pm

Awesome price! 8) Just bought graded Fett myself and busted him out straight away. However, his footer was out of place and I couldn't live with that :lol: Reckon I would've freed him whatever, as I like to be able to handle my MOCs and don't care how good someone else says it is ;)
Collecting SW since 1980.
"Look Sir, Dubs,"

WANTED LIST viewtopic.php?f=8&t=20916 Looking for Palitoy MOCs

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:36 am

Yeah £175 without postage, couldn't believe my luck when I bought it, I thought for sure there was some kind of a catch before it arrived, but then it arrived and it was all perfect with a good bubble. :wink:

Hmm seems to be about 50/50 mixed views over cracking it, the case is actually the exact same size as the standard GW ones and matches perfect with my others. So I think i'll be leaving it as is until it comes time to sell it one day, then i'll crack it open and sell it in a GW case so there's no grade and also to protect the bubble, ( I was nervous it could actually be cracked/split upon arrival ).

This is my first graded figure because I usually stay away from them, which is why I wasn't fully sure on what to do with it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

poncho
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby poncho » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:15 am

i can see that damaging if you were crack it open more litho damage for sure

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:39 am

Beautiful figure deemed mediocre by the grading world.

I'd break it if I knew what I was doing ( which I don't ).

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:07 am

Firstly that's a 'great price' easily worth 2x that. Would definitely bring more ungraded, but if you aren't bothered by the low grade I don't see the point in opening it. If you come to sell it would make sense, from a protection point of view as well as value but it's essentially in a decent acrylic case already that you would only need to replace.

If anyone who doesnt know any better asks, just tell them the AFA score figures on a scale from 1 to 50.

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:48 am

Dannywhiteley wrote:If anyone who doesnt know any better asks, just tell them the AFA score figures on a scale from 1 to 50.

:lol:
Great idea

Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:07 pm

Personally I like grading I will always opt for graded figures and if I buy ones ungraded I get them graded as soon as I can. I think the 50 grade on your Fett has decreased it's value so I agree it would be worth more if you cracked it open. I would only do this if you are confident you can do it without damaging the card. If the rest of your collection is ungraded then your graded item will naturally become a talking point when showing people your collection which will mean you will be talking about something you want to forget which over time may irritate you.

You mentioned that you believe it has been unfairly graded and the 50 grade should be higher this may well be the case so why don't you crack it open and have it regraded, AFA don't get it right every time.
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:10 am

I have never liked grading and I would never pay extra for graded items. So if I had any items in a grading box then I would take the items out of the box and throw the grading box out. So I see no problem with that you want to do the same :wink:

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Nah i'm not into grading myself at all, I think a good way to open it is to get surgical with it with my Dremmel and a saw blade attachment, when the time comes!

weasel
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby weasel » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:45 pm

My first thought when I saw the 50 grade was that it must have a cracked bubble. That's AFA's default grade if you submit a cracked bubble, but looking at the sub grades the bubble gets an 75 so no issues there.

It's a nice piece, congrats.
"You came in that thing? You're braver than I thought!"

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:22 pm

weasel wrote:My first thought when I saw the 50 grade was that it must have a cracked bubble. That's AFA's default grade if you submit a cracked bubble, but looking at the sub grades the bubble gets an 75 so no issues there.

It's a nice piece, congrats.

Hmm did not know that about the default grade, also thanks mate i'm very chuffed with it. :)

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”