Luke Bespin & Jedi Sabers - Real or Fake?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I recently bought a Luke Bespin and a Luke Jedi as upgrades and am looking for some help confirming the originality of my existing and new sabers (sabers being my kryptonite - I can never tell for sure 100%).

TIG is not that definitive on it especially when it comes to the yellow Luke Bespin saber. The original version with the three buttons inside a rectangle inset into the handle no longer exists though they reference it when comparing Repro 1 and Repro 2. C'mon guys sort it out!

So I'm turning to you guys to help me out. They all look legit though I am not in ownership of an outpost Repro variant of the yellow and green Bespin saber to eliminate conclusively. The one that concerns me most is the yellow saber with the inset rectangle as the buttons are a little smaller than the green. But there are none of the issues flagged up under Repro v4 on the site as far as I can tell. Also the other yellow saber has excess flashing but looks like a v1 or v2 I think and there are no other repros out there like it according to TIG.

They all float by the way. The three with the inset rectangle all have circular EPMs. Appreciate any help given.

Cheers Jay

Attachments

• 3559BE3A-5580-47AF-8A88-A92951BAACC8.jpeg
    3559BE3A-5580-47AF-8A88-A92951BAACC8.jpeg
    43.8 KB · Views: 738
  • 28E9E2FD-C27B-4819-A30E-8D36F091AD41.jpeg
    28E9E2FD-C27B-4819-A30E-8D36F091AD41.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 740

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I hope a forum member can answer this definitively. I agree with you that the yellow saber with the small buttons (2nd in from the left) raises questions. I own a dozen yellow sabers, yet none of mine look like yours. This may of course simply be because I don't own one of them, but I find it a little surprising, especially given that I do own a couple of green examples of the small button saber. My green sabers were bought in the early nineties and hence will definitely be vintage originals. My yellows were mostly acquired over the past couple of years, mostly from childhood collection sales where all other accessories being sold with other figures at the same time were clearly genuine, and hence I have no real reason to doubt the sabers' authenticity, especially as they all seem to match entries on TIG. The absence of the small button yellow saber from my own collection therefore is perfectly possible, but at least a little surprising. I hope someone out there can clear this up. :?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
The TIG homepage is now carrying a note saying Luke Bespin Yellow Saber v5 to be added soon with a similar looking saber pictured but I can't tell from the pic regarding size of buttons.

trappedtexan - a TIG moderator has said TIG are in the process of updating the Lightsaber section what with the new repros flooding the market.

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
t I do own a couple of green examples of the small button saber. My green sabers were bought in the early nineties and hence will definitely be vintage originals.

Could you please put up pictures of one of your green small button sabers?

palitoyjunky

Sith Lord
I don't dabble in loose much at all so have never had to worry about repro weapons :!: I naturally have seen a few repros in my time and regarding the hand held light sabres I have only ever seen repros with crappy hilts that r mainly painted, so these look to good to b repros to me but then I'm not sure how sophisticated repro sabres r today :?: :roll:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
aussiejames said:
Snaketibe said:
t I do own a couple of green examples of the small button saber. My green sabers were bought in the early nineties and hence will definitely be vintage originals.

Could you please put up pictures of one of your green small button sabers?
Of course :)

Blue & Green 01.jpg

Blue & Green 02.jpg

Blue & Green 03.jpg

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
And for the sake of completeness, I might as well show examples of the different yellow saber variants I own. To reiterate what I said above, I have absolutely no reason to believe these are anything other than vintage originals, however since they were all acquired in the last couple of years, I cannot be 100% certain. I do also own another couple of yellows which do date from the early nineties, but those are currently being held in the hands of two Lukes in one of my display cabinets, and both are examples of the middle saber pictured below in any case, so that doesn't help this thread.

As you can see, the saber on the left below is the closest to the saber in question in TheJabbaWookie's original post, however the buttons on mine are clearly larger and hence not a match.

Yellow 01.jpg

aussiejames

Sith Lord
Jay also mentions " The three with the inset rectangle all have circular EPMs" NO yellow saber with EPM is real, just trying to determine if the green one next to it is fake as well.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
aussiejames said:
Jay also mentions " The three with the inset rectangle all have circular EPMs" NO yellow saber with EPM is real, just trying to determine if the green one next to it is fake as well.
Well then if what you say is true about the yellows, and if Jay's suspect yellow one does indeed have a circular EPM, then unfortunately it would appear that his yellow one is fake. As for the green small button one however, since my own definite vintage originals, as you can see for yourself, do have circular EPMs, Jay's green one may be real, but I suppose might be repro. It's always tricky to tell without having them in hand to compare to a known genuine one. Better pictures might help, but I know from taking my own that getting good close-up photos of the hilts can be difficult :?

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Interesting to learn that no yellow Bespin sabers were made with inset rectangle, small buttons and circular EPM. I will post up more photos tomorrow hopefully showing my green sabers in more clarity.

In the mean time here's a link to the same thread on TIG if anyone wants more info on the recent Repro sabers and some great photos from AJ and Craig T.

http://www.imperialgunneryforum.com/t9173-luke-bespin-jedi-sabers#158496

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I don't have a macro lens but I think these are a bit better and include side profiles to illustrate tapering.

You can clearly see the yellow Berlin Outpost saber tapering in where the handle meets the hilt and I don't believe this is the case with the middle green one.

The buttons are of a similar size on the two green variants and similarly spaced apart whereas the yellow one is smaller and further apart (see yellow Outpost variant 4 Repro on the TIG site).

To me (now with it in hand and having spent more time examining them since starting this thread) I think it is clear that it is not the green Outpost variant Repro 3 on the TIG site, however, I also recognise that the two green variants are not identical - could be down to the slight damage the right one has sustained?

AJ you're far more experienced than me though - what do you think now?

Attachments

• D3279CDA-A2C5-4ABD-B985-AD5A1C8BE385.jpeg
    D3279CDA-A2C5-4ABD-B985-AD5A1C8BE385.jpeg
    35.8 KB · Views: 625
  • 34A78A10-DA72-4919-98A1-BFDB75D82273.jpeg
    34A78A10-DA72-4919-98A1-BFDB75D82273.jpeg
    38.7 KB · Views: 625
  • 1E7CE5DA-F2DE-4F28-BD90-2F94E95E09A7.jpeg
    1E7CE5DA-F2DE-4F28-BD90-2F94E95E09A7.jpeg
    39.4 KB · Views: 622
  • 4701974F-005C-40E6-8A92-901CD0FEC559.jpeg
    4701974F-005C-40E6-8A92-901CD0FEC559.jpeg
    35.7 KB · Views: 634
  • 234D9CBC-4D12-480D-94AD-719DD64B1D8E.jpeg
    234D9CBC-4D12-480D-94AD-719DD64B1D8E.jpeg
    38.9 KB · Views: 624
  • 3DCCBF47-EEEB-47E7-BFBC-EF3055F060F5.jpeg
    3DCCBF47-EEEB-47E7-BFBC-EF3055F060F5.jpeg
    41.2 KB · Views: 628
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom