Header image

Toy Toni Boba Fett....

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Hothrebel
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Toy Toni Boba Fett....

Postby Hothrebel » Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:51 pm

What you have to remember is this was a 99p starting auction ,the bidding took it to £460 so there are at least 2 people out there that thought it was worth £450+
Always looking for meccano items

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:16 pm

Again it's up to the individual who is buying a TT. Personally I don't see the draw, knowing what it is. The perception that your collection is incomplete without a TT is again something I don't understand.
I have a mint original Ewok village box, I will at some point try and purchase all of the components for it to complete it, as the fun and enjoyment is there for me to do that, and display it in my own collection.
I would not try and seal it and pass it off as MISB, much less try and produce hundreds of them.
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:01 pm

Way overpriced if you ask me. People(who are buying them) must be forgetting it's not a Moc and getting carried away. Fett fett fett!! I've got a cardback I bought off robpmarsh for 50 quid. I know it's a Toni although he and Mr Palitoy whom he bought it off wouldn't say it was. I love it. It's the nearest I'll get to a Fett Moc right now. It's relatively cheap, original and fits nicely in my mostly ROTJ collection. But £450 for a fake Moc put together in someones house? Get out of town. I prob wouldn't buy one cos I couldn't afford it :lol: but I'd value one at no more than £150.

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:14 pm

In fact what do people think? Toni, yay or nay?

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:35 pm

Robstyley wrote:In fact what do people think? Toni, yay or nay?

image.jpg

Yay

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:27 am

I would say that's a legit used cardback based on the prong gaps at the bottom and the strength of the seal

mr_palitoy
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby mr_palitoy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:05 am

That cardback was factory sealed. Whether a cardback is a Toni or not is a pretty moot point. It's just a cardback. Tonis ones will have minimal bubble imprint on them.

Jason
Many Bothans died to bring us this information...

Want Palitoy ESB 45A Back (Blue Circle Offer) 2-1B MOC and Palitoy ESB 30B cardbacks for first 12 figures

Mr Palitoy's Cardback Guide
http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:37 pm

mr_palitoy wrote:Whether a cardback is a Toni or not is a pretty moot point. It's just a cardback.

Well that's your opinion. It doesn't really matter, I was just curious to know what I had. I'm not convinced cos the seal is weak but if it was originally factory sealed then I stand corrected :)

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:37 am

The bubble has taken almost all of the print off with it. If you look at opened Toni's, they practically fall off without leaving a mark. I agree with Jason's point that both are legit cardbacks.

subzero
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby subzero » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:38 am

edd_jedi wrote:The bubble has taken almost all of the print off with it. If you look at opened Toni's, they practically fall off without leaving a mark. I agree with Jason's point that both are legit cardbacks.

And then people are spending up to 4 figures + for a TT with a very weak seal that will most likely fall apart much sooner than a real one, the 'market value' on them just baffles me!
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:20 pm

I sometimes imagine all of the unfortunate unsuspecting people over the years in shock at the sight of the bubble falling off frantically trying to reattach it where the glue has given up the ghost.
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

MarkG
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby MarkG » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:44 pm

bosk70 wrote:I sometimes imagine all of the unfortunate unsuspecting people over the years in shock at the sight of the bubble falling off frantically trying to reattach it where the glue has given up the ghost.

I'm gutted for all the collectors that bought these back in the day, and hope that the bubbles don't fall off.. However, to all those that have bought recently (since the scandal broke), and paid stupid money, then I do hope they all fall off..
Wanted - Instruction sheets and Stormtrooper cardbacks preferably....
Lili Ledy Boxed Speeder Bike

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:05 pm

I remember Jason Joiner saying in the original Toy Toni thread that the early ones in the 80s were so badly sealed they were basically being sold as loose figures :lol:

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:54 pm

Much rather do this than a TT

This will be the way I go :D

( pic is GW acrylic..hope you don't mind Fuzzybuzzytoys)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

Robstyley
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Robstyley » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:05 am

Yeah I like those. I just display it in a case like a Moc, you get the visual aspect of the card it just doesn't have a bubble(and figure) on it. For 50 quid instead of several hundred :D

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”