Header image

Fake SW collectors?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Wreck-It Ralph
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Fake SW collectors?

Postby Wreck-It Ralph » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:46 pm

I do enjoy all the labels on this forum Fake, Ponce, Investor I wonder which one I am?
Because he's holding a thermal detonator!!

We all have our time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Some take us forward, they're called dreams.

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Definitely a few on Facebook. That Jake chap with his multiple alter egos is the obvious one.

Created at least one drama so that he could be the one to solve it :roll:
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:54 am

The collecting community is like any other part of life, you get all sorts collecting for all sorts of reasons. This forum welcomes all who collect, beginners to experts, high end collectors to budget collectors, all of which have a common theme, the passion for the hobby, and the general buzz of collecting for themselves, to also learn and to research to further knowledge overall or in the particular area they are collecting.
I have found over the years, especially through this forum and the genuine collectors you interact with, the value of something or its rarity are secondary to the genuine reactions of " great pick up, really pleased for you, well deserved " comments from budget and high end collectors alike, who are all chuffed for you.
We are collecting and we are passionate, but it's a hobby all the same, the real things in life are what count, family, happiness and health, they are the "grails" :D

"My house, my car, my bank account is bigger than yours", it's about the person who lives in t hat house, drives that car and has that bank account.
As with all walks of life genuine good guys are just, that regardless of their collection or bank balance.
Having said all of that, life's too short for negativity, those that get wrapped up in it are missing out on the good things in life :D
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

aussiejames
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby aussiejames » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:21 am

subzero wrote: I find this quite interesting in what makes these people think and act that way.

My point & question is, has there ever been a well known 'fake collector' in the vintage SW community online or in the real world?.. ie, someone who pretends they have certain rare items or even a massive collection just to try and make themselves look good to the collecting community?, when in reality they don't own anything, maybe even going to great lengths to showing pics of items that they don't own?

This is something I could prob see happening maybe on facebook. :lol:

that describes John Walsh aka bobablarcfett- why do people do it?? Attention seeking fucking morons.

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:57 am

aussiejames wrote:
subzero wrote: I find this quite interesting in what makes these people think and act that way.

My point & question is, has there ever been a well known 'fake collector' in the vintage SW community online or in the real world?.. ie, someone who pretends they have certain rare items or even a massive collection just to try and make themselves look good to the collecting community?, when in reality they don't own anything, maybe even going to great lengths to showing pics of items that they don't own?

This is something I could prob see happening maybe on facebook. :lol:

that describes John Walsh aka bobablarcfett- why do people do it?? Attention seeking fucking morons.

And we have a winner! :D

Are you sure his name isn't bumbaclartfett? :lol:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

tiefighterboy
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby tiefighterboy » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:26 pm

There are a lot of fake people who collect, is that the same? :lol:

wrighty
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby wrighty » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:40 pm

Well, if you followed recent drama of the SW Battles group discussion, non-collectors won items and try to resell them at market price, is that a fake collector taking advantage of the lottery system to make money from true collectors? :?

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:29 am

wrighty wrote:Well, if you followed recent drama of the SW Battles group discussion, non-collectors won items and try to resell them at market price, is that a fake collector taking advantage of the lottery system to make money from true collectors? :?

They aren’t fake collectors in my eyes. They are not collectors at all, closer to investors taking advantage of a crazy market.

Pretending they wanted the item and then selling it is a different matter, and that’s what I’d call fake

Neither situation is great :(
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

starshipriot
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby starshipriot » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:30 am

Not collecting but still Star Wars related. There used to be a site called supershadow and the guy used to claim he was pals with Lucas and upload plot details for episode III, VII, VIII and IX, as well as uploading photos of models he claimed were girlfriends.

He even has his own wookiepedia page if anyones interested

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/SuperShadow

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:26 am

starshipriot wrote:Not collecting but still Star Wars related. There used to be a site called supershadow and the guy used to claim he was pals with Lucas and upload plot details for episode III, VII, VIII and IX, as well as uploading photos of models he claimed were girlfriends.

He even has his own wookiepedia page if anyones interested

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/SuperShadow

Interesting little read, never heard of that guy before, some people are completely delusional and love to pretend to people that they're 'a somebody' when they're not.

I knew a guy like that from school, the lies he used to come out with were laughable, like when he told everyone for months he had a small cameo part in the 2nd matrix film ( before it was being filmed ), this guy was well known as a complete douche by everybody, used to say he'd been with all these different girls when he never actually did. And nearly 20 years later I added him on facebook and lowe and behold he hadn't changed at all, constantly posting shit about crazy things he's done trying to make himself sound like some celebrity, did a post once saying he found out he's a direct descendant from Spartans lol ( funny how he said this only weeks after the film 300 was out ), and posted once that he was in talks with Channel 4 about making his own TV program about his life and said it was due to air on 'x-date' and it never happened lmao. I called him out on it on one of his status' for everyone to see and he blocked me. :lol:

Sad part is all the hundreds of his 'friends' didn't actually know him in real life and believed everything he said, replying to his posts saying congratulations and all that shit, quite entertaining to watch actually. :lol:

Mini99
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Mini99 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:44 pm

Is this not a sad reflection in our society and the constant need (mainly the young) for fame and instant gratification! :?
Sad really... :cry:

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:26 am

tiefighterboy wrote:There are a lot of fake people who collect, is that the same? :lol:

Concise and spot on !
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

Starrider
New User
New User

Postby Starrider » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:05 pm

As owner of a sci fi/comic shop for the last 20 years, I have come across a lot of people over the years who claim to have rare items usually large collections of original carded Star Wars figures supposedly never touched in pristine condition but produce zero evidence they have them. Usually they say they want to sell them and will bring them in to show me. In every instance without fail I've never heard anything again. Its pretty obvious that either they dont have the items at all or at best only have played with loose ones. Quite what they get out of claiming to have these collections I'm not sure, as obviously I'm not going to part with any cash till I've seen them. I think in some naive way they think it impresses me.

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:51 pm

Starrider wrote:As owner of a sci fi/comic shop for the last 20 years, I have come across a lot of people over the years who claim to have rare items usually large collections of original carded Star Wars figures supposedly never touched in pristine condition but produce zero evidence they have them. Usually they say they want to sell them and will bring them in to show me. In every instance without fail I've never heard anything again. Its pretty obvious that either they dont have the items at all or at best only have played with loose ones. Quite what they get out of claiming to have these collections I'm not sure, as obviously I'm not going to part with any cash till I've seen them. I think in some naive way they think it impresses me.

I think that's partly where it comes from in these people, it's a need to 'fit in' with society by trying to impress others by pretending to be on the same level or better. Kind of how you get that one neighbour that everyone has heard of keeping up with the Jones', who wants everything his neighbour has or better and just can't take it when the neighbours have something that he doesn't. :lol:

Some people go further than that though and full on put themselves out there and make a 'career' out of it lol, because in their head they wanna be seen as the no.1 top dog who's better than everyone else, they know they can't achieve it but they want it so bad they just fake it and feed people complete bullshit even when it sounds like obvious lies to everyone else. Some can take it very far and tbh it's quite dangerous and a bit creepy, iv'e met a couple of people like this over the years.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”