Fake SW collectors?

subzero

Sith Lord
In martial arts there's a thing called 'fake black belts' where complete delusional idiots like to pretend they're expert black belts, and trick and defraud the community ( even teaching students lol ) pretending to be something that they're not just so they can look good. Eventually ( or very quickly ) they get noticed by genuine experts in the field and called out on their fakery and expose them to the community. Not just in martial arts but in other hobbies & interests too there's always been complete fakers, I find this quite interesting in what makes these people think and act that way.

My point & question is, has there ever been a well known 'fake collector' in the vintage SW community online or in the real world?.. ie, someone who pretends they have certain rare items or even a massive collection just to try and make themselves look good to the collecting community?, when in reality they don't own anything, maybe even going to great lengths to showing pics of items that they don't own?

This is something I could prob see happening maybe on facebook. :lol:

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
A fake collector? I suppose they might exist, but I've never heard of one.

Changing the subject completely, I thought perhaps you might like to see a photo of me in front of some new shelves I've just bought:

New Acquisition.jpg

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Snaketibe said:
A fake collector? I suppose they might exist, but I've never heard of one.

Changing the subject completely, I thought perhaps you might like to see a photo of me in front of some new shelves I've just bought:

New Acquisition.jpg

Nice collection you have there, thanks for sharing... :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
Suppose I might as well follow up with a legit pic of me sitting in my collection room! :lol:

dsc01054.jpg

x-wingMark

Jedi Master
Let's face it we would need their money to afford those pieces in our collections.

Great photos by the way. :lol:

Wreck-It Ralph

Jedi Master
I guess if you were a new forum member that no one new and you claimed to have a lot of stuff from a childhood collection or you just inherited a large collection from your uncle or something and you didn't showcase, I guess that could work!

If I was to go on the forum and say I had just purchased a 30 Back Vader from an unnamed source it would be difficult to determine whether it was true or not especially if I did not showcase and would not show the item to anyone in digital or actual form.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Well when the Star Wars was the craze this idiot I went to school with, just use to collect them to rub it in peoples face that he had rare ones. He never was a SW Fan.

subzero

Sith Lord
StarWarsFan said:
Well when the Star Wars was the craze this idiot I went to school just use to collect them to rub it in peoples face that he had rare ones. He never was a SW Fan.

Ahh there we go there's almost a fake collector, a collector who's a fake SW fan.

Someone I worked with back when Revenge of The Sith came out who was known as a bit of a 'Billy bullshitter' was telling us all the next day after the first day cinema release he went and watched it and you could just tell by the way he was saying it that he didn't lol, he even said it was amazing and it was on for 3 hours :lol: . Nob-end just wanted to be part of the crowd cus everyone else was chatting & raving about the film on it's release week.

StarWarsFan

Grand Master
Well thinking about it, yes I do know a fake Star Wars collector my idiot cousin, he started buying and asking for figures not long after I started collecting (20 years ago). Claimed he was big into collecting and wanted to get serious. In the end ended up with about 20 most were POTF2 figures, his mum painted nail varnish on the feet so he knew they were his. After a couple of months or so of "collecting" ended up in toy box never to seen again.

_Lee_

Sith Lord
I wouldn't say 'fake' but there are a few Ponce's around who seem to think they have the right to 'Lord it up' so to speak. They think if they throw money away like confetti then it gives them that right. Another thing is where they seem to think another collector isn't a real collector of any particular line unless they own a full complete set of figures or whatever. I've heard that mentioned a few times over the years, even from a collector who looked down on another because he didn't have a moc set. However the collector being judged knew 100 times more than the collector judging him. It makes him look a tube .Things like this are never forgotten and will affect someone's ability to make good contacts and also give him a bad name in the hobby and they will never recover from that.

I'm afraid that because the market is now saturated with Star Wars, it isn't the toys that appeal anymore. Its the props, replicas, autographs and general ephemera that are taking over.

spoons

Grand Master
Definitely a few on Facebook. That Jake chap with his multiple alter egos is the obvious one.

Created at least one drama so that he could be the one to solve it :roll:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
The collecting community is like any other part of life, you get all sorts collecting for all sorts of reasons. This forum welcomes all who collect, beginners to experts, high end collectors to budget collectors, all of which have a common theme, the passion for the hobby, and the general buzz of collecting for themselves, to also learn and to research to further knowledge overall or in the particular area they are collecting.
I have found over the years, especially through this forum and the genuine collectors you interact with, the value of something or its rarity are secondary to the genuine reactions of " great pick up, really pleased for you, well deserved " comments from budget and high end collectors alike, who are all chuffed for you.
We are collecting and we are passionate, but it's a hobby all the same, the real things in life are what count, family, happiness and health, they are the "grails" :D

"My house, my car, my bank account is bigger than yours", it's about the person who lives in t hat house, drives that car and has that bank account.
As with all walks of life genuine good guys are just, that regardless of their collection or bank balance.
Having said all of that, life's too short for negativity, those that get wrapped up in it are missing out on the good things in life :D

aussiejames

Sith Lord
subzero said:
I find this quite interesting in what makes these people think and act that way.

My point & question is, has there ever been a well known 'fake collector' in the vintage SW community online or in the real world?.. ie, someone who pretends they have certain rare items or even a massive collection just to try and make themselves look good to the collecting community?, when in reality they don't own anything, maybe even going to great lengths to showing pics of items that they don't own?

that describes John Walsh aka bobablarcfett- why do people do it?? Attention seeking ****ing morons.

subzero

Sith Lord
aussiejames said:
subzero said:
I find this quite interesting in what makes these people think and act that way.

that describes John Walsh aka bobablarcfett- why do people do it?? Attention seeking ****ing morons.

And we have a winner! :D

Are you sure his name isn't bumbaclartfett? :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom