Header image

THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 42 LAUNCHED

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Stuart Skinner
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 42 LAUNCHED

Postby Stuart Skinner » Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:41 pm

42podbean.jpg
42podbean.jpg (70.71 KiB) Viewed 250 times

EPISODE 42 : THE EMPIRE STRIKES 3 PACKS

On this months show Stuart and Jez chat to Jesse Cedar Soberman about his collecting habits through the years, whilst they take a look at Jesse's obsession with the 3 packs.

Richard presents four stories during Rebel Briefings, looking at updates to current affairs from Grading Toni's to the neverending battles.
In the New Acquisitions section Jez is delighted to announce that The Vintage Rebellion Alliance has recruited another collecting legend; Ron Salvatore.  The lads cover a plethora of vintage purchases shown off on the forums and Facebook groups.  Items range from some fun vintage stickers to the Diecast Tie Bomber.  Collectors returning from the wilderness and others completing their loose run.  The section ends with an indepth discussion of the AT-ST Scout Walker.  Oh and Jez comes up with a concept for a new Facebook group, cuz we all need another one of those!

Simon and Richard attempt to win a Gimcrack badge in Market this month and beat other submissions from listeners.  Previous winners Jez and Stuart are conscious to not rest on their laurels.

This month sees the introduction of The Senate.  There's a healthy debate between JohnPaul Ragusa, Ian Cowley, Todd Osborn and Mark Baker about everyones love-to-hate topic, Toy Tonis.  Listen in for some well though out arguements enlightened thinking on the subject.

There is also a review of recent events the team have attended, Richard takes us through a look at the Echo Live event including some short chats with other attendees, whilst Stuart, Pete, Jez and Simon review their trip over to Belgium to attend the FACTs event.

All this plus much much more including a usual dose of whining from Jez.

Enjoy the show!!!

http://swtvrpodcast.podbean.com

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/sta ... 57470?mt=2
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/star-wars-vintage-rebellion/id1001257470?mt=2

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 42 LAUNCHED

Postby Mini99 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:15 pm

Down loaded now, looking forward to the morning commute for a change. :D
Thanks.

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Great news

Jez
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Jez » Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:42 pm

Stuart Skinner wrote:All this plus much much more including a usual dose of winning from Jez.

Fixed your Typo Shorty

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:47 pm

Jez wrote:
Stuart Skinner wrote:All this plus much much more including a usual dose of winning from Jez.

Fixed your Typo Shorty

:lol:

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:53 pm

Jez wrote:

Fixed your Typo Shorty

Very good... :lol:

mr_palitoy
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby mr_palitoy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:32 pm

Just listened to the first round table on Toy Toni from the vintage rebellion crew.

Some points:-

Pete - There is no extra "glue" on the bubble. The "glue" is already there on the bubble and is heat activated which makes it seal to the card. So the ones that were sealed early on in the 90s have the best seals. The one's sealed in the late 00s and beyond are really weak as the "glue" had past its sell by date. The "glue" is not repro. Reseals with added glue are easy to spot as the glue goes bad and discolours to a brown/black colour over time.

Jez - Just to confirm I am getting no kind of remuneration from CAS for being on their board of advisors. I do this as a service for the community. In being their advisor, my aim is to help them make the decisions about whether cards are Tonis or not, so to help spread the knowledge and stop myself being the single point of authentication. I did a similar thing with Vectis several years ago.

Simon- Lots of people say the list is not complete and say other cards are affected. Please provide concrete examples of Toy Tonis which are not on the list. I've heard claims of Palitoy 65d Fetts being affected, logoed Palitoy etc, but nobody can provide one concrete example. Saying the list is inaccurate and incomplete weakens the whole market. It's just speculation without the examples.

Rich - Palitoy 65d Chewbacca has always been problematic as Toni used the same bubble as the factory used. On most cards he used the wrong bubbles which make them easier to spot. I tend not to call a lot of them these days, as its hard to tell either way.

Rich - Palitoy 65d Vader. I've looked long and hard at this. It isnt on the list. I have 1 cardback I bought from Toni where it looked like a bubble had been weakly attached and dropped off and there are iron marks on the card. I've looked long and hard at every Vader 65d I could find, and can't find one that I can say is definitely a Toni. There are numerous different factory bubbles for this card. If there are cards that werent on the list, there are no more than a couple of them in total. Vader falls into this category.

Rich - You talked about the most common Tonis. Fett and Dengar. Dengar is not a common Toni, no more than 11 on clipper cards. Maybe you were thinking of Bossk.

Rich - Other sources of sealed cards from other collectors. It is known that there were several large batches of Palitoy 45c fetts and 65d snowtroopers that were sold before the lot that was in the Toy Toni sale. The fetts were all carded really badly and the bubbles fell off immediately. This is why you can find the cardback with minimal bubble imprint quite easily. The snowtroopers with the upside down bubbles also fall into this prelist category I believe. But thats it. No other sources of cards are known as far as I'm aware. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That's it for now.

Going to listen to the Senate discussion next.

Jason
Last edited by mr_palitoy on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Many Bothans died to bring us this information...

Want Palitoy ESB 45A Back (Blue Circle Offer) 2-1B MOC and Palitoy ESB 30B cardbacks for first 12 figures

Mr Palitoy's Cardback Guide
http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy

Richard_H
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Richard_H » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:48 pm

Your the expert mate - Bossk is right if you say so!
Co-host, co-creator, director and stud of SW The Vintage Rebellion podcast
https://www.facebook.com/thevintagerebellion

Check out my interview on http://vintagestarwarscollectors.com/co ... ka-cc4rhu/

Jez
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby Jez » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:54 pm

Exactamundo Jay Bird, that’s why I wanted to highlight the fact that once again you’re providing your services free of charge ya good lad! Had to give Mr Palitoy the big up he deserves :)

mr_palitoy
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby mr_palitoy » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:04 pm

Just listened to the Senate debate, nice idea!

Shame the sound quality was so bad.

Enjoyed hearing some different points of views on Tonis.

My own position is this:-

I think of Tonis as very good reseals. So thats how they should be treated.

In time these may be thought of being bootlegs and be collectible in their own right. Already happening.

Open sale of these as long as they are declared otherwise they end up being sold on ebay undeclared which is bad for everyone.

Marking them is a bad idea. Its vintage you are defacing and you may have identified the card as a Toni incorrectly. Best do it in a non intrusive way like a CAS Toy Toni designated acrylic case. AFA/UKG should clean their houses.

Education is key. Ive always been about providing the means of identifying these to everyone in the community. You dont spend 1000s on a painting without knowing a bit about forgeries. Same thing with MOCs. They cost as much these days!

cheers Jason
Many Bothans died to bring us this information...

Want Palitoy ESB 45A Back (Blue Circle Offer) 2-1B MOC and Palitoy ESB 30B cardbacks for first 12 figures

Mr Palitoy's Cardback Guide
http://www.freewebs.com/mrpalitoy

Pantzman
Regular
Regular

Postby Pantzman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:23 am

The opening round of the senate debate was all that was salvageable apparently.
It’s a real shame as there was probably a good 45 minutes ‘debate’ afterwards that got lost and didnt recorded. There was good points raised from all sides.

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:41 am

Many thanks to all involved for the work required for these to happen. It's always a listening highlight of my month.

Seahawks
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Seahawks » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:14 am

Another excellent show fellas!

I was a big fan of the AT-ST as a kid and played with it more than the AT-AT as it was much easier to pack around to friends' houses. The "walking" feature never got old and you could stomp on the Rebels with it. I didn't seem to mind that it lacked electronics. It was always a must for any outdoor battles, most of which were in the woods. I've only owned one AT-ST in my lifetime and am thankful I still have it in my collection today.

Battle in summer of 1984 or '85 featuring my AT-ST.

8.jpg
8.jpg (103.23 KiB) Viewed 102 times

Diorama I made a couple years ago with most of the same toys.

Speeder Bikes6.jpg
Speeder Bikes6.jpg (180.46 KiB) Viewed 102 times
Last edited by Seahawks on Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:05 am

Haha that's cool, love those pics especially the old one, it must be great to still have all those toys, I think I only have a Gamorrean Guard who's made it through the years and maybe one more figure which I think is Prune Face lol.

I really wanna know though what that Rebel Soldier is doing to the Stormie. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:05 am

Seahawks wrote:I was a big fan of the AT-ST as a kid and played with it more than the AT-AT as it was much easier to pack around to friends' houses. The "walking" feature never got old and you could stomp on the Rebels with it. I didn't seem to mind that it lacked electronics. It was always a must for any outdoor battles, most of which were in the woods. I've only owned one AT-ST in my lifetime and am thankful I still have it in my collection today.

Great pics Seahawks. I agree. I love the Scout Walker for its playability and portability. I didn’t own an At-At from new, but picked one up second hand not long before I sold up. Vaguely remember being disappointed with it because it was so big and cumbersome, not easy to play with unlike the other childhood grail - the Falcon. Mine never really stood properly either, always slouching. The Scout Walker on the other hand, well you can tell now that you could press the button and spring into action and even run with it. I must of done that.

Good work with the podcast fellas. My wife has finally succumbed to SW and is buying me a display case to put it in for Christmas. Now I just have to slowly sneak it into the study and step by step take it over for my collection. :D

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”