THE VINTAGE REBELLION : Episode 42 LAUNCHED

Stuart Skinner

Sith Lord
42podbean.jpg

EPISODE 42 : THE EMPIRE STRIKES 3 PACKS

On this months show Stuart and Jez chat to Jesse Cedar Soberman about his collecting habits through the years, whilst they take a look at Jesse's obsession with the 3 packs.

Richard presents four stories during Rebel Briefings, looking at updates to current affairs from Grading Toni's to the neverending battles.
In the New Acquisitions section Jez is delighted to announce that The Vintage Rebellion Alliance has recruited another collecting legend; Ron Salvatore.  The lads cover a plethora of vintage purchases shown off on the forums and Facebook groups.  Items range from some fun vintage stickers to the Diecast Tie Bomber.  Collectors returning from the wilderness and others completing their loose run.  The section ends with an indepth discussion of the AT-ST Scout Walker.  Oh and Jez comes up with a concept for a new Facebook group, cuz we all need another one of those!

Simon and Richard attempt to win a Gimcrack badge in Market this month and beat other submissions from listeners.  Previous winners Jez and Stuart are conscious to not rest on their laurels.

This month sees the introduction of The Senate.  There's a healthy debate between JohnPaul Ragusa, Ian Cowley, Todd Osborn and Mark Baker about everyones love-to-hate topic, Toy Tonis.  Listen in for some well though out arguements enlightened thinking on the subject.

There is also a review of recent events the team have attended, Richard takes us through a look at the Echo Live event including some short chats with other attendees, whilst Stuart, Pete, Jez and Simon review their trip over to Belgium to attend the FACTs event.

All this plus much much more including a usual dose of whining from Jez.

Enjoy the show!!!

http://swtvrpodcast.podbean.com

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/podcast/star-wars-vintage-rebellion/id1001257470?mt=2

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Down loaded now, looking forward to the morning commute for a change. :D
Thanks.

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Just listened to the first round table on Toy Toni from the vintage rebellion crew.

Some points:-

Pete - There is no extra "glue" on the bubble. The "glue" is already there on the bubble and is heat activated which makes it seal to the card. So the ones that were sealed early on in the 90s have the best seals. The one's sealed in the late 00s and beyond are really weak as the "glue" had past its sell by date. The "glue" is not repro. Reseals with added glue are easy to spot as the glue goes bad and discolours to a brown/black colour over time.

Jez - Just to confirm I am getting no kind of remuneration from CAS for being on their board of advisors. I do this as a service for the community. In being their advisor, my aim is to help them make the decisions about whether cards are Tonis or not, so to help spread the knowledge and stop myself being the single point of authentication. I did a similar thing with Vectis several years ago.

Simon- Lots of people say the list is not complete and say other cards are affected. Please provide concrete examples of Toy Tonis which are not on the list. I've heard claims of Palitoy 65d Fetts being affected, logoed Palitoy etc, but nobody can provide one concrete example. Saying the list is inaccurate and incomplete weakens the whole market. It's just speculation without the examples.

Rich - Palitoy 65d Chewbacca has always been problematic as Toni used the same bubble as the factory used. On most cards he used the wrong bubbles which make them easier to spot. I tend not to call a lot of them these days, as its hard to tell either way.

Rich - Palitoy 65d Vader. I've looked long and hard at this. It isnt on the list. I have 1 cardback I bought from Toni where it looked like a bubble had been weakly attached and dropped off and there are iron marks on the card. I've looked long and hard at every Vader 65d I could find, and can't find one that I can say is definitely a Toni. There are numerous different factory bubbles for this card. If there are cards that werent on the list, there are no more than a couple of them in total. Vader falls into this category.

Rich - You talked about the most common Tonis. Fett and Dengar. Dengar is not a common Toni, no more than 11 on clipper cards. Maybe you were thinking of Bossk.

Rich - Other sources of sealed cards from other collectors. It is known that there were several large batches of Palitoy 45c fetts and 65d snowtroopers that were sold before the lot that was in the Toy Toni sale. The fetts were all carded really badly and the bubbles fell off immediately. This is why you can find the cardback with minimal bubble imprint quite easily. The snowtroopers with the upside down bubbles also fall into this prelist category I believe. But thats it. No other sources of cards are known as far as I'm aware. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

That's it for now.

Going to listen to the Senate discussion next.

Jason

Jez

Sith Lord
Exactamundo Jay Bird, that's why I wanted to highlight the fact that once again you're providing your services free of charge ya good lad! Had to give Mr Palitoy the big up he deserves :)

mr_palitoy

Sith Lord
Just listened to the Senate debate, nice idea!

Shame the sound quality was so bad.

Enjoyed hearing some different points of views on Tonis.

My own position is this:-

I think of Tonis as very good reseals. So thats how they should be treated.

In time these may be thought of being bootlegs and be collectible in their own right. Already happening.

Open sale of these as long as they are declared otherwise they end up being sold on ebay undeclared which is bad for everyone.

Marking them is a bad idea. Its vintage you are defacing and you may have identified the card as a Toni incorrectly. Best do it in a non intrusive way like a CAS Toy Toni designated acrylic case. AFA/UKG should clean their houses.

Education is key. Ive always been about providing the means of identifying these to everyone in the community. You dont spend 1000s on a painting without knowing a bit about forgeries. Same thing with MOCs. They cost as much these days!

cheers Jason

Pantzman

Padawan
The opening round of the senate debate was all that was salvageable apparently.
It's a real shame as there was probably a good 45 minutes 'debate' afterwards that got lost and didnt recorded. There was good points raised from all sides.

chipsteak

Jedi Master
Supporter
Many thanks to all involved for the work required for these to happen. It's always a listening highlight of my month.

Seahawks

Jedi Knight
Another excellent show fellas!

I was a big fan of the AT-ST as a kid and played with it more than the AT-AT as it was much easier to pack around to friends' houses. The "walking" feature never got old and you could stomp on the Rebels with it. I didn't seem to mind that it lacked electronics. It was always a must for any outdoor battles, most of which were in the woods. I've only owned one AT-ST in my lifetime and am thankful I still have it in my collection today.

Battle in summer of 1984 or '85 featuring my AT-ST.

8.jpg

Diorama I made a couple years ago with most of the same toys.

Speeder Bikes6.jpg

subzero

Sith Lord
Haha that's cool, love those pics especially the old one, it must be great to still have all those toys, I think I only have a Gamorrean Guard who's made it through the years and maybe one more figure which I think is Prune Face lol.

I really wanna know though what that Rebel Soldier is doing to the Stormie. :lol:

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
Seahawks said:
I was a big fan of the AT-ST as a kid and played with it more than the AT-AT as it was much easier to pack around to friends' houses. The "walking" feature never got old and you could stomp on the Rebels with it. I didn't seem to mind that it lacked electronics. It was always a must for any outdoor battles, most of which were in the woods. I've only owned one AT-ST in my lifetime and am thankful I still have it in my collection today.
Great pics Seahawks. I agree. I love the Scout Walker for its playability and portability. I didn't own an At-At from new, but picked one up second hand not long before I sold up. Vaguely remember being disappointed with it because it was so big and cumbersome, not easy to play with unlike the other childhood grail - the Falcon. Mine never really stood properly either, always slouching. The Scout Walker on the other hand, well you can tell now that you could press the button and spring into action and even run with it. I must of done that.

Good work with the podcast fellas. My wife has finally succumbed to SW and is buying me a display case to put it in for Christmas. Now I just have to slowly sneak it into the study and step by step take it over for my collection. :D

spoons

Grand Master
Been holding back on this one until I had a long drive. Wales and back was just the job.

I found Jesse's interview interesting and scary. A run of 16 for over $100k is serious business.

To add to the die cast bomber discussion, the ESB falcon, cruiser and y wing are as rare or perhaps rarer than the bomber. My view is that the ESB series 2 ships (the big ones) were a last roll of the dice and pulled shortly after first distribution, as they didn't sell as well as the smaller ones.

I suspect the distribution of the ESB Falcon etc matches the bomber. Loose the Bomber is much rarer as it was only an ESB release, and the comparative rarity of the others goes unnoticed.

Enjoyed the round table and two good arguments - very hard to choose between them. Good to hear Todd's voice too!

Great tales of Belgium and am I the only person who never had an AT-ST?

Richard_H

Grand Master
Cheers guys,

Awesome knowledge as usual Andy. Makes perfect sense to me.

Wow you never had an AT-ST? I can't think of anyone else who has said that.

spoons

Grand Master
I only had a DV TIE, speeder bike and INT-4 and eventually got a second hand Landspeeder. The rich kids up the road had two of everything so never felt I was missing out, always got to play with a spare at at

jared007

Padawan
Late to listen to this episode but an hour in and just listened to the post-mortem of the Vectis website issues. Sounds really quite bad! The one thing that stands out to me as quite unbelievable is the way that bids would skip auctions and end up counting for the one after ... sounds like they have a very poor design that allows that to happen.

I work in software myself, so am sympathetic to what can crop up when going live with a major release for the first time. But obviously there just wasn't enough testing in the right areas this time. Hopefully it gets sorted quickly for all concerned.

AndyPreston

Jedi Knight
Supporter
Great listen as ever thanks guys, really enjoyed the feature interview, while I only collect British items so won't be chasing a 3 pack any time soon, it's always great to learn more about other areas of collecting.

The banter about the shenanigans in Belgium was hilarious, sounds like a great trip and thank the Force for Jez's fighter pilot reactions or there could have been no more podcasts! Surely after that the rest of you could have forgiven him not wanting to risk the unknown horrors of the woods?

The discussion on Toni's was interesting and while I could see both sides to some extent I don't think they can be ignored, there are so many out there that we have to accept them as something that will keep cropping up. Education and getting the word out about what these are has to be the priority and if they are going to be graded then best that they are identified for what they are so that they won't fool anyone in future. Just my opinion!

Well done to the team, keep up the good work.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom