Header image

Charity shop find this morning :)

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Charity shop find this morning :)

Postby Dannywhiteley » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:02 pm

Best find i ever had from a charity shop was a set of first edition LOTR books from the late 1950's. Cost me £50 and sold for £330. :o

StarWarsFan
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby StarWarsFan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:20 pm

Dannywhiteley wrote:Best find i ever had from a charity shop was a set of first edition LOTR books from the late 1950's. Cost me £50 and sold for £330. :o

Nice one pal

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:54 pm

retrotoyinfo wrote:The main reason for the astronomical postage prices from US sellers is because of the introduction of the Global shipping program (GSP) ebay introduced. A huge number of US sellers signed up to it early on without realising what it meant. This program takes away any flexibility, charges the maximum postage and also custom charges up front. I have heard of sellers in the UK having to pay twice for customs, once in advance and again when it arrives in the UK. The GSP also forces the seller to charge for each item individually, thus not allowing savings on multiple buys.

In addition, even those sellers in the USA that don't use the GSP tend to either quote or be quoted themselves by USPS the most expensive postage option first. It's always worth asking a seller in the USA if they can look again at the postage, even go on the USPS website yourself and tell the seller the options.

The USPS (United States Postal System) are more expensive than the Royal Mail for sending abroad, and they have all these weird fixed rate 'flat rate' envelopes, flat boxes and boxes.

I forgot to mention in my post last night (was rather late I wrote it), there are the forums to buy and sell, social media like facebook and toy fairs and swap meets. I've never bought on social media or forums myself. I have been to loads of toy fairs, but have found them disappointing too for various reasons.

I agree luck has a lot to do with it, and putting the hours and effort. But I have put in a lot of effort and I still think the fruits of it are very slim, whereas in the past putting that effort in brought great rewards.

I'm not talking about the GSP, I'm talking about charging $30 to send 1 loose figure, or $80 to ship a single loose 12" figure. A few years ago the prices were reasonable for P&P but now you have to buy an item for peanuts for it to make financial sense or know someone in the US you can have it shipped to first.

Buying on FB is very much the norm now, the forums used to be the 'go to' place for sales and wants but the shift has gone very much in favour of FB at the moment but once FB find a way of charging for sales, it will shift back to the forums to a degree. Of course things are harder to find for little to no money these days, that's bound to happen, but this thread and many other posts previously all reach the same conclusion - it is still out there to be found.

Toy fairs and events like Echo Live and Farthest From are great places to find stuff - you've clearly been attending the wrong events! :lol:

retrotoyinfo
Regular
Regular

Postby retrotoyinfo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:00 am

SublevelStudios wrote:
retrotoyinfo wrote:The main reason for the astronomical postage prices from US sellers is because of the introduction of the Global shipping program (GSP) ebay introduced. A huge number of US sellers signed up to it early on without realising what it meant. This program takes away any flexibility, charges the maximum postage and also custom charges up front. I have heard of sellers in the UK having to pay twice for customs, once in advance and again when it arrives in the UK. The GSP also forces the seller to charge for each item individually, thus not allowing savings on multiple buys.

In addition, even those sellers in the USA that don't use the GSP tend to either quote or be quoted themselves by USPS the most expensive postage option first. It's always worth asking a seller in the USA if they can look again at the postage, even go on the USPS website yourself and tell the seller the options.

The USPS (United States Postal System) are more expensive than the Royal Mail for sending abroad, and they have all these weird fixed rate 'flat rate' envelopes, flat boxes and boxes.

I forgot to mention in my post last night (was rather late I wrote it), there are the forums to buy and sell, social media like facebook and toy fairs and swap meets. I've never bought on social media or forums myself. I have been to loads of toy fairs, but have found them disappointing too for various reasons.

I agree luck has a lot to do with it, and putting the hours and effort. But I have put in a lot of effort and I still think the fruits of it are very slim, whereas in the past putting that effort in brought great rewards.

I'm not talking about the GSP, I'm talking about charging $30 to send 1 loose figure, or $80 to ship a single loose 12" figure. A few years ago the prices were reasonable for P&P but now you have to buy an item for peanuts for it to make financial sense or know someone in the US you can have it shipped to first.

Buying on FB is very much the norm now, the forums used to be the 'go to' place for sales and wants but the shift has gone very much in favour of FB at the moment but once FB find a way of charging for sales, it will shift back to the forums to a degree. Of course things are harder to find for little to no money these days, that's bound to happen, but this thread and many other posts previously all reach the same conclusion - it is still out there to be found.

Toy fairs and events like Echo Live and Farthest From are great places to find stuff - you've clearly been attending the wrong events! :lol:

There may be that lucky find or whatever but I just disagree, I don't think there is very much at all to be had anymore at bargain prices. It's all relatively speaking. I've been buying vintage Star Wars for the last 20 years, when I started there was bargains to be found everywhere. I must admit I do find the odd bargain myself, even nowadays, but as I said it is very slim pickings. The situation of buying from America both in the prices they are asking/fetching and the postage prices has changed beyond recognition and not in a good way.

The effort I have to put in now to find bargains hardly seems worth it, so I have just effectively stopped buying. About fifteen years ago I picked up a early bird certificate for £50, I could buy 12 backs for £50-£100 and POTF figures about the same. Mini-rigs boxed were about a tenner, and a lot of vintage boxed toys I could pick up for under £50. Imagine now when I see someone asking thousands for an early bird certificate or 12 backs, makes me laugh and angry at the same time.
www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:41 am

retrotoyinfo wrote:The effort I have to put in now to find bargains hardly seems worth it, so I have just effectively stopped buying. About fifteen years ago I picked up a early bird certificate for £50, I could buy 12 backs for £50-£100 and POTF figures about the same. Mini-rigs boxed were about a tenner, and a lot of vintage boxed toys I could pick up for under £50. Imagine now when I see someone asking thousands for an early bird certificate or 12 backs, makes me laugh and angry at the same time.

You can still pick boxed mini rigs up for a tenner! :lol:

The collecting landscape changes all the time, pointless getting angry about not being able to pick up POTF figures for £100 anymore, I'd be thankful I was around when you could buy them for that instead and think of the value if you came to sell them.

If it was all cheap, and in plentiful supply then where is the thrill of the chase in that? Perhaps we should all collect shells instead, they're free and there's loads of them :lol:

I see what you're saying, but I just find it a very pessimistic view on the hobby.
Last edited by SublevelStudios on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

retrotoyinfo
Regular
Regular

Postby retrotoyinfo » Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:21 pm

SublevelStudios wrote:
retrotoyinfo wrote:The effort I have to put in now to find bargains hardly seems worth it, so I have just effectively stopped buying. About fifteen years ago I picked up a early bird certificate for £50, I could buy 12 backs for £50-£100 and POTF figures about the same. Mini-rigs boxed were about a tenner, and a lot of vintage boxed toys I could pick up for under £50. Imagine now when I see someone asking thousands for an early bird certificate or 12 backs, makes me laugh and angry at the same time.

You can still pick boxed mini rigs up for a tenner! :lol:

The collecting landscape changes all the time, pointless getting angry about not being able to pick up POTF figures for £100 anymore, I'd be thankful I was around when you could buy them for that instead and think of the value if you came to sell them.

If it was all cheap, and in plentiful supply then where is the thrill of the chase in that? Perhaps we should all collect shells instead, they're free and there's loads of them :lol:

I personally enjoyed the thrill of the chase when there was more available and cheaper. It's highly motivating. I don't see the fun in chasing the odd thing at over inflated prices :shock:
www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”