Header image

Charity shop find this morning :)

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Re: Charity shop find this morning :)

Postby Michael Sith » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:20 pm

Great charity shop find, cracking condition as well, congratulations 8)

They are still out there!
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:35 pm

pizzathehutt wrote:
Mini99 wrote:Congratulations Andrew, another six amazing condition figures.
But I thought you were selling up!?!

I was, I did but couldn’t say no to this lot and feel like I have the bug once again

I know, once you get the bug it’s difficult to shake off.
Good luck in putting together your new run, let it happen, don’t chase it...

pizzathehutt
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby pizzathehutt » Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:52 pm

Mini99 wrote:
pizzathehutt wrote:
Mini99 wrote:Congratulations Andrew, another six amazing condition figures.
But I thought you were selling up!?!

I was, I did but couldn’t say no to this lot and feel like I have the bug once again

I know, once you get the bug it’s difficult to shake off.
Good luck in putting together your new run, let it happen, don’t chase it...

I will from now on, thank you!
'Nutch Vader! Teeblo Carbon'

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:18 pm

No problems, you’re welcome.

ScruffyLookingNH
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby ScruffyLookingNH » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:35 pm

Nice one, Andy! What a great follow up.....but did you root through the Lego?! These are tooooo nice to be weaponless! Surely, in that box of bricks there has to be the armoury. If the Lego is from the same era as the figures you won't go far wrong buying it anyway, particularly if is space themed Lego. I'd go back and pick it up. Worst case you're bound to get at least what you paid for it :)

bosk70
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby bosk70 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:31 pm

pizzathehutt wrote:
bosk70 wrote:Great pick ups, always worth asking if they have anymore out the back :) you never know :D (in the sacred back room, once saw some vintage annuals and after chatting got invited into the hallowed back room to see the rest ended up buying about 25 that day, :lol: ) never seen vintage in a charity shop for years

you've got me wondering now

I'm going to pop back and ask on the way home from work this afternoon

Very happy for you, its always worth an ask they can only say no, the annuals I got were in very good condition and from one donation, sad story the donors son had passed away and was a collector, the shop was happy to sell them to me for a very fair price, when they knew I was not selling them on for profit and the plus is its going to a good cause. What were the cars like, love a vintage corgi :?:
A fun find in the wild can reinvigorate the collecting bug :)
Vintage Star Wars helping me stay sane since 1977

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:37 pm

Completely agree with above, the weapons could well be in with the lego. Most lego of that era that turns up in the wild tends to have a star wars accessory or two mixed in with it.

plantainman
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby plantainman » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Walked in a charity shop the other day and they had a loose beater general Madine in there, Listed for £4.

I had a little chuckle to myself thinking of how this guy used to go unsold on ebay, often complete in C9 condition for 99p over and over again lol

How times change. :D
*** SWFUK FEEDBACK *** COO VARIANTS by Plantainman (thread link) *** LIMELIGHT (coming soon, yeah right) ***

stormcab
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby stormcab » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:04 am

Dropped some stuff off at a very large charity shop out my way, asked if they ever get any old star wars toys. Nope. 99% of people know, or think they knows it's valuable

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Dannywhiteley » Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:02 am

Makes sense as most parents donating old toys that their kids (of the 70's - 80's) played with most likely alrready did so in the 90's - 00's (kids by then might be later teens - mid-20's and no longer interested). I remember seeing tubs of vintage figures and loose vehicles in charity/junk shops regularly in the early - mid 90's.

What you get occasionally thesee dsys is more elderly people (same generation just 20 years older) downsizing to smaller properties in their retirement / death of a spouse, and finally clearing their attics of 'junk'. Their grandchildren (if they have any) may not be interested/asked so it would possibly end up in a charity shop / car boot / etc but obviously much less often.

To further muddy the waters and reduce the slim chance even further, consider that if a grandparent said to a young grandchild in 2017, "I think I have your dad's old star wars toys in the attic" it would likely strike with more resonance that if that conversation had been had 10-15 years ago.

It's extremely rare these days but does still happen as seen here (found alongside vintage lego and corgi - same era - to theory stacks up).

retrotoyinfo
New User
New User

Postby retrotoyinfo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:22 am

That was a really good find. I don't think it proves that this sort of star wars is 'still out there'

That's what Paul Martin says on Flog It every time they sell something found at a boot sale or charity shop. What Flog It doesn't tell you is that see thousands of people and find one like this now and again. I've been to hundreds of charity shops and boot sales, and all I ever see is rubbish.

If anything the situation is getting worse, if the items are not siphoned off by charity shop workers, anything good ends up on ebay. Some of the larger charity shop chains are now selling thousands of items on ebay a month.

Basically almost nothing good gets put in charity shops anymore. Despite the often rather romanticized view of boot sales, they are brutal places and the rubbish I see at them beggars belief. Often stallholders just abandon the entire contents of the rubbish they bring to sell at the end of the day.

The only places with any hope are ebay and auction houses, but the situation is also deteriorating with these. I look for certain things on ebay all year, but there are slim pickings. The situation for star wars on ebay in the USA has also dramatically changed, often American sellers now start the auctions at crazy high prices. The days of when every auction started at £0.99 or $0.99c is long gone!

Auction houses have also changed. With 25%-35% added to the hammer prices and too many people chasing too few items, especially with the introduction by nearly all auctions to the internet, prices are driven higher and higher. At similar commission prices charged to sellers, it is also a barrier to items entering the market for sale.

It's all very well having little bargains here and there, but these have really dried up, and I have seen star wars prices probably drive five to ten fold upwards in the last 15 years.
www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:13 am

It's the same with anything, if you put the groundwork in, there are rewards. Scouring car boots, charity shops, ebay and classifieds have all borne fruit at some point or another for me. Mainly ebay these days but also toy fairs from other dealers too.

There are incredible finds out there, last year was particularly good for me, landing some seriously good items at bargain prices. Luck does have a part to play, but so does putting the hours in.

The one thing I have seen change over the past couple of years on ebay is the astronomical prices US sellers charge for P&P these days. It's crazy and has really cut my buying from overseas down drastically.

In short, yes, it is hard work finding stuff like this 'in the wild' and bargains online - but I disagree with the above post, they are out there.

Stubbs
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Stubbs » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:57 am

I agree with retro toy info on this. Last week i went into a charity shop there must be 20 i check at least once a month local to my home and work place. So last week i saw a load of vintage action man tanks out the back of this charity shop i waited and asked the ladie if it was for sale and if i could have a look. We all know action man was selling around the same era as the vintage star wars so you never no what will be in the boxes. She said no we need to send any vintage toy items up to are head office and they sell them on the charity's behalf or they will be auctioned.

I was gutted

retrotoyinfo
New User
New User

Postby retrotoyinfo » Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 pm

SublevelStudios wrote:It's the same with anything, if you put the groundwork in, there are rewards. Scouring car boots, charity shops, ebay and classifieds have all borne fruit at some point or another for me. Mainly ebay these days but also toy fairs from other dealers too.

There are incredible finds out there, last year was particularly good for me, landing some seriously good items at bargain prices. Luck does have a part to play, but so does putting the hours in.

The one thing I have seen change over the past couple of years on ebay is the astronomical prices US sellers charge for P&P these days. It's crazy and has really cut my buying from overseas down drastically.

In short, yes, it is hard work finding stuff like this 'in the wild' and bargains online - but I disagree with the above post, they are out there.

The main reason for the astronomical postage prices from US sellers is because of the introduction of the Global shipping program (GSP) ebay introduced. A huge number of US sellers signed up to it early on without realising what it meant. This program takes away any flexibility, charges the maximum postage and also custom charges up front. I have heard of sellers in the UK having to pay twice for customs, once in advance and again when it arrives in the UK. The GSP also forces the seller to charge for each item individually, thus not allowing savings on multiple buys.

In addition, even those sellers in the USA that don't use the GSP tend to either quote or be quoted themselves by USPS the most expensive postage option first. It's always worth asking a seller in the USA if they can look again at the postage, even go on the USPS website yourself and tell the seller the options.

The USPS (United States Postal System) are more expensive than the Royal Mail for sending abroad, and they have all these weird fixed rate 'flat rate' envelopes, flat boxes and boxes.

I forgot to mention in my post last night (was rather late I wrote it), there are the forums to buy and sell, social media like facebook and toy fairs and swap meets. I've never bought on social media or forums myself. I have been to loads of toy fairs, but have found them disappointing too for various reasons.

I agree luck has a lot to do with it, and putting the hours and effort. But I have put in a lot of effort and I still think the fruits of it are very slim, whereas in the past putting that effort in brought great rewards.
www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:07 pm

I was about to mention the global shipping program ( or global shitting program ) and then seen it was already mentioned above. But yes that ebay program is pure shite, iv'e won things on ebay.com before and then the seller starts flapping about and moaning telling me "no international shipping", then i'm like yeah but you've got the item set to int. post with the global shipping program and even after telling them that they're still confused because they don't have a clue they've signed up for it or even know what it is. After some convincing to them not to cancel the sale they eventually decide to ship it for me but don't have a clue how to get it through the postal system properly for that program, so I have to explain to them how it works.

And the shipping prices are always damn high and with the mandatory VAT cost on top, which is ridiculous when buying a cheap item because most the time they get through with no VAT request at all. So I always try and go for a seller who isn't with the GS program and the shipping charge is sooo much cheaper.

As for charity shops... booo!!, old brown clothes, scruffy boring books, crap DVD's and CD's, beat up board games and jigsaw puzzles probably containing all but 1 piece, and an extremely bored looking middle aged woman sitting behind the counter staring at you waiting for a sale, for you to just walk back out 30 seconds later. That's all iv'e ever got from them. :lol:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”