A new New Hope!

Crumm

Padawan
Hi all.

I joined the site a few days ago and just thought I would share a little about what brought me here (and where this is all going).

I was a huge Star Wars fan as a kid, born in 76' I was pretty much the perfect age for growing up with Star Wars. All my friends were into it, we all watched the film(s) nearly every day, had the toys, played Star Wars in the school playground etc.

Anyhow, now as a 40 yeard old kid I have decided to build a new collection of the figures. I knew I had a boxfull of old Star Wars stuff in my dad's loft, so I ventured up to see if there was anything in there to get me started.

What I found was actually not bad, around 40 figures in all, 12 of which I would consider "display worthy" (Image attached) and a couple of rare ones (Brown hair 1977 Luke farm boy and R2D2 pop-up saber version) The R2D2 is not in great shape the decals are grubby and the click on the dome does not work (also no lightsaber) but I was still surprised to find it. Even so, I will probably sell it to fund a purchase of a figure in better condition.

The non-display quality figures I have donated to my 5 year old son who adores them! (Get him started early).

I know this will probably turn out be a very expensive journey, but I have put no goal-posts on it, I am going to take it one item at a time and enjoy the experience.

The community here looks really good and very helpful, I look forward to spending time here.

Attachments

• 20171129_082407.jpg
    20171129_082407.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 556

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
welcome to the forum!

looks like you've got a good starting point and to have childhood figures is a huge plus

enjoy the journey, don't force it and don't overspend

good luck!

Andrew

subzero

Sith Lord
Welcome, it's very friendly here.

Also good luck with your new collecting journey. :)

Pomse2001

Grand Master
Hi welcome to the forum and I must say this is a great start with the stuff you found from your childhood on your dad's loft :wink:

Also great to read your son could use the beaters :wink:

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Welcome, always great to see new members join the community.

One word of advice though, don't sell your childhood figures to upgrade like that R2 as you say, I'd happily give away my mint examples for any of my childhood ones. They cannot be replaced, you'll regret it I'm sure.

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Welcome to the forum and on your first step into a larger world.

Two pieces of advice:

Take your time, it's a marathon not a sprint. Lots of people spend too much too soon and burn out quickly;
Don't sell any of your childhood figures - as Sublevel has said there are lots of us who'd swap our entire collections for a few of our childhood toys.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
Welcome to SWFUK. Glad you've still got your old figures you lucky, lucky man! As Mark said, keep hold of your old figures no matter how battered they are. There's 10s of millions like them out there but those ones are yours and totally irreplaceable.

Also as mentioned, savour the hunt! Whilst it's amazing to own it's more fun finding. Also, I'm a firm believer that loose figure's are on their way down, price wise, so there really is no rush at all. Pick stuff up here and there as you see a price that's right. In fact, if you could wait (I know I couldn't when I came back!) buy NOTHING for a month, just look around and see what prices are like.

Don't know where you are in the country, but even if a couple of hours away get yourself down to Fordingbridge, Hampshire, for Sunday 10th December for Farthest From. Lots of vintage on sale there are for sensible prices from most of the sellers. It a small but well formed vintage SW toy fair.

And most of all: enjoy!

yoda

Sith Lord
It's great you still have your childhood figures, I'd agree also don't sell any of them no matter what condition they are in. They are part of your childhood Star Wars memories you'll be glad you kept them as your collection grows.
Display them separately from the others, I've read countless threads on here regarding childhood collections and what we still have or lost or sold on.

grinchy

Sith Lord
Welcome to the boards, its a great place with lots of good people, glad you still have your childhood figures, I agree don't sell them, keep them, play worn just shows the love you gave them as a kid, glad your starting the little one on some of your figures
Take care and have fun, good luck on the hunt for more figures

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Great introduction, welcome.
Listen to the words of the wise above, everyone is speaking from the heart. :wink:
Most of enjoy your new hobby. :D

jared007

Padawan
Crumm said:
I joined the site a few days ago and just thought I would share a little about what brought me here (and where this is all going).

Welcome! And congrats on starting up on the journey! At the risk of this sounding old - don't sell any of your childhood figures, you will come to realize they are the gems in your collection. I'm guessing sentimentality is one of the reasons why you are here (and one of the best reasons it is), and nothing hits that chord better than seeing your childhood figures.

As others have said, you can go slow if you are just starting out. It's very easy to save yourself a heap of money by being patient and getting familiar with going rates for things.

Two other bits of advice - this forum has a fantastic podcast put together by 5 of the members. It's called "The Vintage Rebellion" and is an excellent source of info and news each episode. You will find it on iTunes and other places. Second, you may like to spend some time on http://www.imperialgunnery.com/ which is dedicated to exposing reproduction weapons/items in the vintage star wars hobby. You will need to make a decision where you stand on that issue, but most (all?) collectors on this forum are against reproduction items in the hobby.

Have fun with it, and let us all know how you get on :)

Cheers, Jared.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom