Some things i learnt from trying to sell on gumtree

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
Thought I'd mention all this as I've just read that thread in the valuation section about the seller who sold his collection for £300

when I was selling my loose collection on gumtree a couple of months ago I had a lot of people offering peanuts for a collection that was easily worth £1400 if sold seperatly and I was asking for £1000 which in my eyes was still a bargain.

people would phone me up offering £300,£400,£500 and trying to explain to me why its was worth that amount and trying to tell me information about the figures as if I didn't already know :lol:

people can get really upset when they get shamed or put down, I was raw with these pricks trying to pull a fast one and I ended having people shout at me down the phone and having full blown arguments because I basically kept taking the piss out of them and calling them up on what they were doing.

crooks or dealers trying to pull a fast one don't like 2 things: 1: being found out that they are trying to pull a fast one and being called out on it and 2: having the piss taken out of them. :lol:

I even got threatened at one point and had some dick tell me I he was going come down here and kick my arse, perfectly fine I said, I've been a member of a local boxing club for the past 4 years so happy for you to come on down, no show though

What I found quite interesting was a lot of the people I spoke to had seen them for sale on here aswell as gumtree but were not members of this forum

Anyway this shouldn't be happening in the hobby but it does so be careful guys

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
I thought my offer of £50 including tracked postage and PP fees was very generous! :wink:

You're just an ungrateful bastard you are! :lol:

Michael Sith

Grand Master
Supporter
Yes, my offer was genuine, I'm still coming down to kick your butt, just that I've been a bit busy, had a headache and had to wash my hair, by the way watch out as I have a black belt ( it's a very nice ralph Lauren number actually) :lol:

wrighty

Sith Lord
You will always get low ballers on Gum Tree. I was selling a car for $18k and offers came in at $10-12k will collect today and pay cash etc, sold it for $17k. You need to do your homework and know your stuff!! 8)

ODB

Jedi Master
Its not just Gumtree that it happens on, I tried selling on Facebook and got lowballed to an almost comical level, a load of chancers offering 30% of the asking price. I lost patience put the lot on Ebay and even with an uplifted price to cover fees sold it for the asking price in 24 hours.

Seems some people do not have any moral if they think they can make a bit of money.

subzero

Sith Lord
I had something on ebay several years back for about £10 and had some nob message me and said "can you do a discount on this and accept £3?"

I'm thinking a discount for what?? lol buying a single item then never coming back? :lol:

stormcab

Sith Lord
Love reading this sort of thing. Like those people that like to play along with cold callers right up to the last second "oh no, I won't be buying it, I just wanted to know all the details" after keeping them on the phone for 20 minutes :D

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
Yeah I've had people message me about eBay items with stupidly low offers.

I had one guy offered me about 30% of the asking price and that was to include PP fees, and full insurance tracked to the States. When I politely declined he went bonkers. Called me all the names of the day. It was actually quite funny.
God knows why he thought I would list something and take 30% of list price (it was fairly priced not some BS "it's got SW on it so it's worth a fortune" listing) and agree to cover PP fees and full postage. I actually worked it out that the postage and PP fees alone were more than he was offering me. :roll: :lol:

There is no shortage of morons/cunts out there.

ScruffyLookingNH

Sith Lord
Supporter
weasel said:

I had one guy offered me about 30% of the asking price and that was to include PP fees, and full insurance tracked to the States. When I politely declined he went bonkers. Called me all the names of the day. It was actually quite funny.
God knows why he thought I would list something and take 30% of list price (it was fairly priced not some BS "it's got SW on it so it's worth a fortune" listing) and agree to cover PP fees and full postage. I actually worked it out that the postage and PP fees alone were more than he was offering me. :roll: :lol:

Had exactly the same thing on ebay from an Aussie a few years back. I was selling a 12 back Luke with a discoloured arm. He made a stupid low offer which I very politely turned down. It was like pressing the launch button. He went absolutely mad :lol: of course, all that did was make me express my sympathy for not only his disappointment but also his mental health issues and his small and inadequate life and genitalia.

He went quiet after that.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Well at least that's something I've learnt about selling on Gumtree.....don't bother!

Thanks for the heads up pizzathehutt.

Ian

subzero

Sith Lord
Iv'e actually recently been on the flip side of this, seen a vintage fortnightly magazine for sale on ebay starting at 99p and was the only one on ebay at the time, he had it on for a lengthy 10 days so I messaged and kindly suggested if he would be willing to take £10 right now instead of waiting and he's got a guaranteed top price sale ( it was worth £10 ). Well I got called bloody all sorts and got accused of being a dirty flipper and he even said he could have been an old lady who needs the money and i'm trying to rob her, I said to him mate it's only worth £10 and that's what i'm offering, said i'm not flipping it but i'm a collector offering full price, he basically told me to **** off and took the piss out of me and kept calling me a flipper and scum blah blah.

10 days later the auction ended...... it sold for £10. :lol:

Leemcl

Jedi Master
There is one place where I personally have sold and purchased with no problems at all.....

This forum :D

It's been a gem over a few years now. Got bits i'd never have through other channels. Sold bits to others who I know will value what they purchased more than just money.

The problem is that the selling side of the forum is tanking.
Lots of the longer term traders with bigger stocks have moved on - assume to the wider profit margins of Facebook - not much comes up anymore and what does tends to sit about a while....gone are the Luke Farm Boy beaters and welcome to the Nikto beaters, good condition. No weapons ( because someone given it to Yak Face )

Massive shame. Probably no way back.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Leemcl said:
Lots of the longer term traders with bigger stocks have moved on - assume to the wider profit margins of Facebook - not much comes up anymore and what does tends to sit about a while....gone are the Luke Farm Boy beaters and welcome to the Nikto beaters, good condition. No weapons ( because someone given it to Yak Face )

There might be if Facebook work out a way of charging you for sales. There's so much selling on there these days I bet it's a matter of time before you get charged for selling on there - and then you might see forum sales return.

lejackal

Grand Master
SublevelStudios said:
Leemcl said:

They have started sending surveys after you mark items as sold to find out if it sold on FB or elsewhere, fees are definitely coming
There might be if Facebook work out a way of charging you for sales. There's so much selling on there these days I bet it's a matter of time before you get charged for selling on there - and then you might see forum sales return.

Leemcl

Jedi Master
Is the internet Face Book or is Face Book the internet ?

I've never been on it. Never wanted to be on it. Don't want to find myself on it just to maintain my hobby. Probably silly but there you go.

My problem with it is not that I don't want to buy / sell in a active market. I just don't want give these ****ers access to my real life in a sanitised form so they can ultimately try to sell me some **** or an ideal I don't need.

Ahhh. Too deep for a Thursday morning !

weasel

Staff member
Supporter
ScruffyLookingNH said:
weasel said:

Had exactly the same thing on ebay from an Aussie a few years back. I was selling a 12 back Luke with a discoloured arm. He made a stupid low offer which I very politely turned down. It was like pressing the launch button. He went absolutely mad :lol: of course, all that did was make me express my sympathy for not only his disappointment but also his mental health issues and his small and inadequate life and genitalia.

He went quiet after that.

Yeah, I probably should have started to play with that idiot, but I just CBA listening to him. Some people are just weird

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom