The Toys That Made Us on Netflix

Palifan

Sith Lord
I'm not sure if anyone's aware of this show but I thought it was worth putting up here as the first episode is all about vintage Star Wars (although I'm thinking it will also cover some modern). It looks to be a fun first episode which drops on Netflix on December 22nd in the US and I think just after then in the UK. There are 8 episodes in total with the first four dropping together ( Star wars, GI Joe, Barbie and He-Man), and the other four dropping next year at some point ( Transformers, Star Trek, Hello Kitty and Lego).

I'm really looking forward to it as a big fan of most of these toy lines (yes even the first issue Barbies lol!). Here's a quick trailer for the Star wars ep, sorry I could only find it on Facebook but hopefully the link still works for those who aren't on there - https://www.facebook.com/pg/thetoysthatmadeus/videos/

Feel free to move this thread into another section but I thought it was worth putting up here first as everyone seems to love a bit of vintage on the box!

Ian

Palifan

Sith Lord
I can't wait either, hopefully it will be on soon in the UK but I'll jot down a quick review of it once I've seen it.

Ian

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Iv just seen the first episode and it was all star wars i really liked it. I couldn't help feeling it was like plastic Galaxy two. The comment from the hasbro boss about jar jar made me laugh.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
Sounds great, will get it on tonight in between Steptoe and Son and Rising Damp Christmas specials...

Christmas starts here!!

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Just finished them all now i must admit i liked them all even the Barbie episode was really interesting. Looking forward to when they release the next four episodes.

Palifan

Sith Lord
Stubbs said:
Just finished them all now i must admit i liked them all even the Barbie episode was really interesting. Looking forward to when they release the next four episodes.

Same here (even agree with the Barbie comment), although I still have the GI Joe one to go.

Really great series and as someone else mentioned the Star Wars episode really is like a Plastic Galaxy part 2, great companion piece to that great documentary and it's amazing how they can still find new things to say on the subject of vintage Star wars.

Can't wait to see some more and hopefully they'll commission a second series as I'm sure there are lot's of other interesting toy lines out there that fit the series creators criteria.

Ian

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Just finished all four episodes. All were excellent IMO and as others have noted, even the Barbie one is well worth a watch.

NB. Brian Stillman of Plastic Galaxy fame is indeed involved as a producer I believe, so the familiarity of the Star Wars show particularly makes sense there...

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
That was a really nice documentary and great to hear it from the horses mouth with the Kenner interviews, and also to see a couple of collectors (Ron Salvatore) featured.

Only negatives would be that they didn't really attempt to mention the global aspect of the toy phenomenon even in passing, it was entirely US centric. And did it really need a screen filling statement at the end that George Lucas declined to be interviewed. That's the kind of technique they do on Crimewatch when they're exposing some fraudster!

Robstyley

Sith Lord
Bloody brilliant! The Star Wars one was the best (obviously) but I loved the He Man one as well because I had those toys too. Still have to watch the other two. I really enjoyed all the stories from the Kenner designers and the old footage. Great TV :)

Palifan

Sith Lord
Bonsai_Tree_Ent said:
That was a really nice documentary and great to hear it from the horses mouth with the Kenner interviews, and also to see a couple of collectors (Ron Salvatore) featured.

Only negatives would be that they didn't really attempt to mention the global aspect of the toy phenomenon even in passing, it was entirely US centric. And did it really need a screen filling statement at the end that George Lucas declined to be interviewed. That's the kind of technique they do on Crimewatch when they're exposing some fraudster!

That George Lucas declined to be interviewed statement was a bit odd, I think we all know that he's never really going to talk about something like this (especially now with him walking away from it all). The fact that it was very US based didn't really bother me as the documentary makers mentioned that these show were not going to include the collecting side of things but focus mainly on the history of the toy lines (although some mention of the worldwide toy impact that SW had wouldn't have been out of place). It was very enjoyable though and with the star wars documentary that was on the other day about the part the UK had to play in SW, it's been a good end to the year for nostalgia. I'm hoping we get more of the same when it's ESB's 40th anniversary.

Ian

Bonsai_Tree_Ent

Jedi Master
True, we've been a bit spoilt this last fortnight, with a new SW movie, a British themed docu, and this Toy series on Netflix. Great stuff!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom