Vintage box restoration: What glue to use?

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
I'm in the process of restoring a vehicle box as a test run for a Land of the Jawas box I want to restore. I took the box apart (neither end was taped, but I took it apart carefully at the seam so I could flatten the box). I had great results with the starch method, and I'm now at the point where I want to glue the box back together.

Can anyone who has already done this recommend a particular type or brand to use?

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
PVA or wood glue is best IMO, it creates a really strong bond and strengthens the car along the seam, you can also wipe away any excess without damaging the litho provided it's still not set.

Will take a short while to set completely but it gives the best results.

There is nothing more satisfying than taking a ripped/torn/battered box and giving it another chance by repairing it.

Good luck!

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
SublevelStudios said:
PVA or wood glue is best IMO, it creates a really strong bond and strengthens the car along the seam, you can also wipe away any excess without damaging the litho provided it's still not set.

Will take a short while to set completely but it gives the best results.

There is nothing more satisfying than taking a ripped/torn/battered box and giving it another chance by repairing it.

Good luck!
I'm enjoying it so far, and the results are amazing!

I was thinking of Gorilla glue as it seems to get a good write-up on craft sites. I was nervous of making a mess with PVA and wasn't sure it'd be strong enough, but I'll see what's available. Cheers!

Stubbs

Jedi Master
Supporter
Depending on what condition and what needs doing i would recommend using gummed tape. I have used this in the past to repair board game boxes and once used it to repait an ATST scout walker lid and it worked very well.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I achieved a great result re-sticking an AT-AT box using Araldite. However, I think as long as you're careful with the glue application and don't trowel it on, many different glues would work equally well. Best of luck, and let us know how you get on! :)

subzero

Sith Lord
I wouldn't use gorilla glue tbh, the glue needs moisture/water applied on both surfaces for it to fully set, IF you did somehow manage to add water then the glue would expand into a foamy glue.

Gadders

Padawan
Interesting read. I was expecting this to be frowned on. I've never even considered doing any repair work to my boxes.

Is there any accepted way to re-attach box flaps that have become detached? I have a couple with flaps that aren't joined, which I just keep inside the box.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I'm sure some collectors would disapprove of any form of repairs, and that is of course their right.

However, most box repairs should be fairly obvious, especially if we're talking about end flaps being re-attached. However, it should go without saying that any repairs done to a box should be fully declared if you ever come to sell the item, and all the more so if you've done the repairs so well that they are not immediately obvious.

As for re-attaching missing end flaps, I am unaware of an 'accepted method' as such, however I would certainly steer well clear of sellotape / Scotch tape, as it yellows and becomes brittle over time, and hence it isn't a long-term solution and will ultimately risk damaging the box further. I have never repaired an end flap myself, but if I was to try re-attaching one, I think I would use a wide strip of strong paper along the full length of the flap, and glue it to both the inside of the end flap and the inside of the box with an appropriate paper glue.

Best of luck if you try to repair your boxes and let us know how you get on :)

subzero

Sith Lord
What about using some kind of acid free masking tape, and stick it to the inside of the box instead of outside?

Masking tape won't turn brittle either and if you decide to remove it one day it won't be stuck like normal tape would and won't cause tears.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
Gadders said:
I have a couple with flaps that aren't joined, which I just keep inside the box.
I think that if the box displays ok, your best off just putting them inside like you have been doing, that way no harm done.

SublevelStudios

Sith Lord
Repairing boxes IMO is not the same as say using bleach on Stormtroopers. The repairs are easily spotted and it PROLONGS the life of the item.

Take a look at this thread from some time ago. The box was a mess, taped up and ripped and would look a mess on display. I managed to get it looking okay again again it still sits in my cabinet now, pride of place.

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25122

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
SublevelStudios said:
Repairing boxes IMO is not the same as say using bleach on Stormtroopers. The repairs are easily spotted and it PROLONGS the life of the item.

Take a look at this thread from some time ago. The box was a mess, taped up and ripped and would look a mess on display. I managed to get it looking okay again again it still sits in my cabinet now, pride of place.

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=25122
That's a terrific job you did there. You should be rightly proud of yourself on an excellent restoration which as you say, will prolong the life of the box as well as making it look ten times better. The repair method you used is exactly what I was meaning above, except that you used thin card instead of thick paper, but your method is probably even better :)

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
Mini99 said:
Gadders said:
I have a couple with flaps that aren't joined, which I just keep inside the box.
I think that if the box displays ok, your best off just putting them inside like you have been doing, that way no harm done.
If the box displays OK without a repair then I tend to agree with you (although each to his or her own, of course). It's when boxes are falling apart that I think a restoration is worth considering, like the excellent one SublevelStudios did in the link above :)

yoda

Sith Lord
If its original why not avoid tampering with it! That's my own view :)
If it's original it's someone's memories you'll always be fit to buy better on eBay.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom