Wavy vinyl cape fix?

subzero

Sith Lord
Just got a Leia Organa which looks stunning, I hate though being a perfectionist as i'm a very fussy collector and little things catch my eye. The cape has an obvious wave on the edge of it to the left, and i'm wondering if anyone knows of a technique to re-flatten the vinyl?

The only thing I can think of is an iron on lowest heat setting with a folded tea towel on top of it, i'd never try this though unless that's proven to work, has anybody tried this or anything similar?

Thanks.

DSCF8087_phixr.jpg

Richard_H

Grand Master
There's a thread n here somewhere. From memory put it in hot water for a while and then flatten with a cool iron over another piece of fabric so the iron doesn't touch the plastic. Check the thread though.

subzero

Sith Lord
Richard_H said:
There's a thread n here somewhere. From memory put it in hot water for a while and then flatten with a cool iron over another piece of fabric so the iron doesn't touch the plastic. Check the thread though.

Ahh thanks for that, hot water why did I bloody forget about that one. :lol:

I'll try and find the thread, cheers! :)

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Here you go:

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3256

Keep that iron well away from it!!

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
That's a great thread but be very wary using boiling water. My vcj had the boiling water treatment and his cape shrunk! Thankfully it was before I owned him.

Crumm

Padawan
Is that the one that was on ebay?

I was watching that one myself if it was. Great pick-up there fella either way, she looks brill!

subzero

Sith Lord
Thanks for the input guys, iv'e used an iron with heat and a tea towel in the past for a comic which worked wonders to get creases out, but i'll be staying well clear of irons with this. :lol:

Another thread on here I just found had two people use the hot water trick then drying it off and placing it between books for the night with great results, so i'll be trying that out tonight and will post the result tomorrow.

subzero

Sith Lord
Clarkspie&chips said:
That's a great thread but be very wary using boiling water. My vcj had the boiling water treatment and his cape shrunk! Thankfully it was before I owned him.

Wow really?, i'll have to be very careful then and just dip it in for like 1 second and see how it goes.

subzero

Sith Lord
Crumm said:
Is that the one that was on ebay?

I was watching that one myself if it was. Great pick-up there fella either way, she looks brill!

Thanks, yeah it was from moseisley_collectibles, very nice condition figure.

subzero

Sith Lord
Mr-shifter said:
If you use heat to flatten it, the cape will shrink. Not much but it will be shorter down her leg. Bear this in mind.

Thanks, i'm starting to wonder now if it's even worth it just for the sake of a tiny wave. :?

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
I tried it with a Vader cape and it worked really well, but I seem to recall letting the boiling water cool for a while - either that or I added a little cold water.

It might be better trying with a cape from another (cheaper!) figure if you have one.

subzero

Sith Lord
peekaygee73 said:
I tried it with a Vader cape and it worked really well, but I seem to recall letting the boiling water cool for a while - either that or I added a little cold water.

It might be better trying with a cape from another (cheaper!) figure if you have one.

Yes I suppose I could try it out on my Vader cape first, i'd still be gutted if I damaged it but at least it's a lot easier to replace and cheaper than a Leia cape.

Thanks for the advice.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
I'd recommend try sandwiching it between two flat surfaces and then stacking a large pile of heavy books on top of it and leaving it for a few days first to see whether that sorts it out without any extra heat being required. I agree that the hot water method sounds like it should probably work, but I'd be very concerned about the possibility of shrinkage, and you lose nothing but time trying the 'book stack' method first. Good luck, and let us know how you get on :)

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
subzero said:
Clarkspie&chips said:

Wow really?, i'll have to be very careful then and just dip it in for like 1 second and see how it goes.

It also got rejected by AFA for that reason and whilst I know most of us here couldn't give a **** about grading, that leia is minty and does command a premium these days so it's worth bearing in mind.

What about the heavy book approach combined with a bit of radiator action? Might be he best of both worlds

subzero

Sith Lord
Again thanks guys for the suggestions, now that one actually makes sense, i'll just use heavy books on it for like a week and see what happens with it.

I rather would try something without heat that won't affect the original structure of the material, the wave in it isn't exactly a strong crease or anything either so this just may work.

i'll post back in a week or so with how it went. :)

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I've always flattened mine below Two to three super heavy books. They usually come out looking pristine unless they had obvious creasing before hand which is hard to remove. Tend to leave them for a week or so. Annoys the hell out of the wife though with random book towers all over the place.

subzero

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
I've always flattened mine below Two to three super heavy books. They usually come out looking pristine unless they had obvious creasing before hand which is hard to remove. Tend to leave them for a week or so. Annoys the hell out of the wife though with random book towers all over the place.

Just use one book and get her to stand on it for a week to keep her occupied and out the way for a while :lol:

I have a 30kg dumbbell i'm gonna use to sit on top of a book, so hopefully that should work sweet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom