Header image

Did potf mocs make it to uk shelves ?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Cardbackkid
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Did potf mocs make it to uk shelves ?

Postby Cardbackkid » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:36 am

Just wondering if the potf range mocs ever made it to the uk shops ? Has anyone seen one with a uk price sticker ?

Lindo
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Did potf mocs make it to uk shelves ?

Postby Lindo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:44 am

Toys R us are in the UK so hard to tell I spose unless anyone remembers buying them
Looking for POTF moc's pm me if you have any for sale

Paullaura
Regular
Regular

Postby Paullaura » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:22 am

Cant remember seeing any POTF here. I was collecting right til the end and i never got any.

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:48 am

I know my older brother bought figures right up to the end and I never once remember seeing a coin, I was always fascinated with collectable coins and little novelty things like that and anything shiny, so I def would have remembered if we had any of them.

I remember we had a Han Carbonite and Lumat amongst our figures, but they could have been from Trilogo cards or something, I just don't remember.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:48 am

I never saw any POTF only Trilogo, never saw most of the last 17 on Trilogo either. Although my friend had more of the last 17 than me I’m pretty sure his were off Trilogo cards as well.

I wouldn’t like to say either way, although I alwAys presumed POTF cards did make it to the UK as a lot of the Kenner Jedi cards did. Be interesting to read some of the earlier collectors thoughts on this and if they saw any.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

retrotoyinfo
Regular
Regular

Postby retrotoyinfo » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:24 pm

I just can't see why the POTF cards would have been sold in the UK. In the USA I think there were plenty available in the stores in 1985.

After ROTJ, sales went downhill and there were masses of unsold Tri-logo in the UK, some of which had the same figures as the POTF, such as Last 17. A lot of these were imported to America by Kay Bee.

The Kenner POTF logo was adapted for Europe (trillingual) but no action figures were released in that packaging

In an already waning market, overstocked with Tr-logos which ironically were exported to help sell them, I can't see why there would have been any incentive to import and sell POTF cards here in the UK.
www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

tobedesu
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby tobedesu » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:23 pm

My last figures I bought/got bought for me are the £1.59 Tri Logo.
I've got no POTF cards in my childhood collection and I kept them all.
I don't remember seeing any in shops like Zodiac, Woolies, Co-op, and any other stockists I used to go to.

Paullaura
Regular
Regular

Postby Paullaura » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:35 pm

Yeah i got just about all the last 17 , all on tri-logos. Only one i could never find was anakin.
Never even knew about POTF until a couple of years later.

MarkG
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby MarkG » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:06 pm

Had pickings of a freshly sealed case of Trilogos in my favourite childhood store in 85... Never knew about POTF until the 90s. Think it was with Jim Stevenson that I first saw them.. can't recall if it was at Memorabilia or listed in M&CM magazine.
Wanted - Instruction sheets and Stormtrooper cardbacks preferably....
Lili Ledy Boxed Speeder Bike

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:01 pm

I’m sure I saw them right at the end of the line. I have a memory of seeing them in a shop and being put off by the logo and coin. I may have imagined it but I have a vivid memory of seeing Amanaman and not knowing who he was. Would have been mid eighties, ages after everyone had given up collecting Star Wars. It was Fenwicks in Newcastle.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:04 pm

I have a vague recollection of Tri Logo’s, but I’m sure I never saw POTF.

retrotoyinfo
Regular
Regular

Postby retrotoyinfo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:27 am

Darth Bobby wrote:I’m sure I saw them right at the end of the line. I have a memory of seeing them in a shop and being put off by the logo and coin. I may have imagined it but I have a vivid memory of seeing Amanaman and not knowing who he was. Would have been mid eighties, ages after everyone had given up collecting Star Wars. It was Fenwicks in Newcastle.

It sounds like you saw one! It's possible. Despite their current perception of rarity, there were large numbers for sale in the USA. Many UK collectors did not even know they existed in the early 2000's, and were not particularly sought after in the UK. I would say the collectability of them in the UK is quite a modern phenomena
www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:34 am

retrotoyinfo wrote:
Darth Bobby wrote:I’m sure I saw them right at the end of the line. I have a memory of seeing them in a shop and being put off by the logo and coin. I may have imagined it but I have a vivid memory of seeing Amanaman and not knowing who he was. Would have been mid eighties, ages after everyone had given up collecting Star Wars. It was Fenwicks in Newcastle.

It sounds like you saw one! It's possible. Despite their current perception of rarity, there were large numbers for sale in the USA. Many UK collectors did not even know they existed in the early 2000's, and were not particularly sought after in the UK. I would say the collectability of them in the UK is quite a modern phenomena

Interesting point of view, but I'm not sure it's the case. I think the majority of collectors in the early 2000s knew of POTF MOCs; even without access to the internet many of us were aware of them in the early/mid 90s. Whilst I've no real interest in the last 17 it always seemed to me that UK collectors favoured them on POTF over Tri-logo. What do others think?

pizzathehutt
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby pizzathehutt » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:36 am

I don't remember seeing them and I was still buying carded figures in the shops in 88 so quite late on

my nan lived not far from marble arch and every Christmas we would walk up to see the lights in bond street, I do remember seeing a diorama of loose figures and the ewok village in one of Selfridges windows and noticing a couple of unusual ewoks and han carbonite but at the time thinking it was a han poncho without his jacket maybe.

If anywhere did manage to get some potf it would've been forbidden planet as I know they were importing a lot even in those days i'm told

How many of you managed to get the Anakin mail away out of interest? or did you get him on a trilogo?
'Nutch Vader! Teeblo Carbon'

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:53 am

I got Anakin on Trilogo, still got the card back. I didn’t do any mail orders for vintage Star Wars. I remember doing one for Thundercats and Mumrar, as that was the only way to get him.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”