Did potf mocs make it to uk shelves ?

Cardbackkid

Jedi Master
Just wondering if the potf range mocs ever made it to the uk shops ? Has anyone seen one with a uk price sticker ?

subzero

Sith Lord
I know my older brother bought figures right up to the end and I never once remember seeing a coin, I was always fascinated with collectable coins and little novelty things like that and anything shiny, so I def would have remembered if we had any of them.

I remember we had a Han Carbonite and Lumat amongst our figures, but they could have been from Trilogo cards or something, I just don't remember.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I never saw any POTF only Trilogo, never saw most of the last 17 on Trilogo either. Although my friend had more of the last 17 than me I'm pretty sure his were off Trilogo cards as well.

I wouldn't like to say either way, although I alwAys presumed POTF cards did make it to the UK as a lot of the Kenner Jedi cards did. Be interesting to read some of the earlier collectors thoughts on this and if they saw any.

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
I just can't see why the POTF cards would have been sold in the UK. In the USA I think there were plenty available in the stores in 1985.

After ROTJ, sales went downhill and there were masses of unsold Tri-logo in the UK, some of which had the same figures as the POTF, such as Last 17. A lot of these were imported to America by Kay Bee.

The Kenner POTF logo was adapted for Europe (trillingual) but no action figures were released in that packaging

In an already waning market, overstocked with Tr-logos which ironically were exported to help sell them, I can't see why there would have been any incentive to import and sell POTF cards here in the UK.

tobedesu

Jedi Knight
My last figures I bought/got bought for me are the £1.59 Tri Logo.
I've got no POTF cards in my childhood collection and I kept them all.
I don't remember seeing any in shops like Zodiac, Woolies, Co-op, and any other stockists I used to go to.

Paullaura

Padawan
Yeah i got just about all the last 17 , all on tri-logos. Only one i could never find was anakin.
Never even knew about POTF until a couple of years later.

MarkG

Jedi Master
Had pickings of a freshly sealed case of Trilogos in my favourite childhood store in 85... Never knew about POTF until the 90s. Think it was with Jim Stevenson that I first saw them.. can't recall if it was at Memorabilia or listed in M&CM magazine.

Darth Bobby

Sith Lord
Supporter
I'm sure I saw them right at the end of the line. I have a memory of seeing them in a shop and being put off by the logo and coin. I may have imagined it but I have a vivid memory of seeing Amanaman and not knowing who he was. Would have been mid eighties, ages after everyone had given up collecting Star Wars. It was Fenwicks in Newcastle.

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
I have a vague recollection of Tri Logo's, but I'm sure I never saw POTF.

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
Darth Bobby said:
I'm sure I saw them right at the end of the line. I have a memory of seeing them in a shop and being put off by the logo and coin. I may have imagined it but I have a vivid memory of seeing Amanaman and not knowing who he was. Would have been mid eighties, ages after everyone had given up collecting Star Wars. It was Fenwicks in Newcastle.

It sounds like you saw one! It's possible. Despite their current perception of rarity, there were large numbers for sale in the USA. Many UK collectors did not even know they existed in the early 2000's, and were not particularly sought after in the UK. I would say the collectability of them in the UK is quite a modern phenomena

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
retrotoyinfo said:
Darth Bobby said:

It sounds like you saw one! It's possible. Despite their current perception of rarity, there were large numbers for sale in the USA. Many UK collectors did not even know they existed in the early 2000's, and were not particularly sought after in the UK. I would say the collectability of them in the UK is quite a modern phenomena
Interesting point of view, but I'm not sure it's the case. I think the majority of collectors in the early 2000s knew of POTF MOCs; even without access to the internet many of us were aware of them in the early/mid 90s. Whilst I've no real interest in the last 17 it always seemed to me that UK collectors favoured them on POTF over Tri-logo. What do others think?

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
I don't remember seeing them and I was still buying carded figures in the shops in 88 so quite late on

my nan lived not far from marble arch and every Christmas we would walk up to see the lights in bond street, I do remember seeing a diorama of loose figures and the ewok village in one of Selfridges windows and noticing a couple of unusual ewoks and han carbonite but at the time thinking it was a han poncho without his jacket maybe.

If anywhere did manage to get some potf it would've been forbidden planet as I know they were importing a lot even in those days i'm told

How many of you managed to get the Anakin mail away out of interest? or did you get him on a trilogo?

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
I got Anakin on Trilogo, still got the card back. I didn't do any mail orders for vintage Star Wars. I remember doing one for Thundercats and Mumrar, as that was the only way to get him.

pizzathehutt

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
I got Anakin on Trilogo, still got the card back. I didn't do any mail orders for vintage Star Wars. I remember doing one for Thundercats and Mumrar, as that was the only way to get him.

good one on the mumra!

I saved all of my pop from my transformers and then took them to my local toy shop thinking we would just swap them for a free transformer and then the lady in the shop explained to my mum that we had to post them all to somewhere in the usa and my mum was like 'what? no we're not doing that!' I wasn't that bothered in the end

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
pizzathehutt said:
theforceuk said:

good one on the mumra!

I saved all of my pop from my transformers and then took them to my local toy shop thinking we would just swap them for a free transformer and then the lady in the shop explained to my mum that we had to post them all to somewhere in the usa and my mum was like 'what? no we're not doing that!' I wasn't that bothered in the end

Similar thing happened to me at Tesco's when it was buy one figure and get a free Prune Face. I just thought it was buy any figure and get another free. So I stomped off to the check out with Luke Bespin on a Jedi card and another figure which I don't remember. The lady at the check out said sorry it's only Prune Face, still annoys me to this day that I got another Prune Face and still opened it! :lol:

Crumm

Padawan
I personally don't remember seeing one.

I was buying figures up until about 1988 or so...

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
retrotoyinfo said:
Darth Bobby said:

I saw many POTF cards for sale at toy fairs in the mid to late 90s, and indeed bought quite a few.
So they were certainly known about then.
They were always at a premium, I remember buying an Imperial Dignity in 1997 for £90, which taking inflation into account would be more than today's price!

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
Mini99 said:
retrotoyinfo said:
Darth Bobby said:

I saw many POTF cards for sale at toy fairs in the mid to late 90s, and indeed bought quite a few.
So they were certainly known about then.
They were always at a premium, I remember buying an Imperial Dignity in 1997 for £90, which taking inflation into account would be more than today's price!

It's interesting to know they were available at toy fairs in the 1990's. While many collectors might have known about them, I still think they seemed a bit obscure and agree more of a premium might have been put on them then, than now. Although I think in the last couple of years, the prices have escalated dramatically. I remember buying a carded POTF C-3PO around year 2000 for £100. Certainly on eBay in the UK around the year 2000, there was not a large amount for sale, but still had a premium on them.

A problem with the POTF cards is on quite a few of them, over time the bubble yellows, often making the bubble fragile and can easily crack. The Han solo in carbonite is one that often yellows very much.

Here is a couple of my POTF cards. The Emperor was originally $1.19 at Kay Bees!

STAR-WARS-KENNER-POTF-EMPEROR-MOC-FRONT.png

STAR-WARS-KENNER-POTF-BARADA-LAST-17-MOC-FRONT.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom