Header image

Did potf mocs make it to uk shelves ?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
pizzathehutt
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Did potf mocs make it to uk shelves ?

Postby pizzathehutt » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:04 am

theforceuk wrote:I got Anakin on Trilogo, still got the card back. I didn’t do any mail orders for vintage Star Wars. I remember doing one for Thundercats and Mumrar, as that was the only way to get him.

good one on the mumra!

I saved all of my pop from my transformers and then took them to my local toy shop thinking we would just swap them for a free transformer and then the lady in the shop explained to my mum that we had to post them all to somewhere in the usa and my mum was like 'what? no we're not doing that!' I wasn't that bothered in the end
'Nutch Vader! Teeblo Carbon'

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:09 am

pizzathehutt wrote:
theforceuk wrote:I got Anakin on Trilogo, still got the card back. I didn’t do any mail orders for vintage Star Wars. I remember doing one for Thundercats and Mumrar, as that was the only way to get him.

good one on the mumra!

I saved all of my pop from my transformers and then took them to my local toy shop thinking we would just swap them for a free transformer and then the lady in the shop explained to my mum that we had to post them all to somewhere in the usa and my mum was like 'what? no we're not doing that!' I wasn't that bothered in the end

Similar thing happened to me at Tesco’s when it was buy one figure and get a free Prune Face. I just thought it was buy any figure and get another free. So I stomped off to the check out with Luke Bespin on a Jedi card and another figure which I don’t remember. The lady at the check out said sorry it’s only Prune Face, still annoys me to this day that I got another Prune Face and still opened it! :lol:
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Crumm
New User
New User

Postby Crumm » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:59 pm

I personally don't remember seeing one.

I was buying figures up until about 1988 or so...
It's a trap!

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:57 pm

retrotoyinfo wrote:
Darth Bobby wrote:I’m sure I saw them right at the end of the line. I have a memory of seeing them in a shop and being put off by the logo and coin. I may have imagined it but I have a vivid memory of seeing Amanaman and not knowing who he was. Would have been mid eighties, ages after everyone had given up collecting Star Wars. It was Fenwicks in Newcastle.

It sounds like you saw one! It's possible. Despite their current perception of rarity, there were large numbers for sale in the USA. Many UK collectors did not even know they existed in the early 2000's, and were not particularly sought after in the UK. I would say the collectability of them in the UK is quite a modern phenomena

I saw many POTF cards for sale at toy fairs in the mid to late 90s, and indeed bought quite a few.
So they were certainly known about then.
They were always at a premium, I remember buying an Imperial Dignity in 1997 for £90, which taking inflation into account would be more than today’s price!

retrotoyinfo
New User
New User

Postby retrotoyinfo » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Mini99 wrote:
retrotoyinfo wrote:
Darth Bobby wrote:I’m sure I saw them right at the end of the line. I have a memory of seeing them in a shop and being put off by the logo and coin. I may have imagined it but I have a vivid memory of seeing Amanaman and not knowing who he was. Would have been mid eighties, ages after everyone had given up collecting Star Wars. It was Fenwicks in Newcastle.

It sounds like you saw one! It's possible. Despite their current perception of rarity, there were large numbers for sale in the USA. Many UK collectors did not even know they existed in the early 2000's, and were not particularly sought after in the UK. I would say the collectability of them in the UK is quite a modern phenomena

I saw many POTF cards for sale at toy fairs in the mid to late 90s, and indeed bought quite a few.
So they were certainly known about then.
They were always at a premium, I remember buying an Imperial Dignity in 1997 for £90, which taking inflation into account would be more than today’s price!

It's interesting to know they were available at toy fairs in the 1990's. While many collectors might have known about them, I still think they seemed a bit obscure and agree more of a premium might have been put on them then, than now. Although I think in the last couple of years, the prices have escalated dramatically. I remember buying a carded POTF C-3PO around year 2000 for £100. Certainly on eBay in the UK around the year 2000, there was not a large amount for sale, but still had a premium on them.

A problem with the POTF cards is on quite a few of them, over time the bubble yellows, often making the bubble fragile and can easily crack. The Han solo in carbonite is one that often yellows very much.

Here is a couple of my POTF cards. The Emperor was originally $1.19 at Kay Bees!

www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

peekaygee73
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby peekaygee73 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:20 pm

I seem to remember that Power of the Force MOCs were available through various adverts in Model and Collector's Mart in the mid-90s. Certainly people like Jim Stevenson had them readily available. As has been mentioned they were definitely available at toy fairs.

Whilst there might not have been that many on UK ebay they were easy to find in Australia and the US. I bought my first POTF MOC in 1999 from Australia this way - Romba for around £30.

I agree that the prices have escalated dramatically over the past couple of years (it's only two years ago I bought a Luke Poncho POTF MOC for £60), you can say that about a lot of vintage SW.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:59 pm

peekaygee73 wrote:I seem to remember that Power of the Force MOCs were available through various adverts in Model and Collector's Mart in the mid-90s. Certainly people like Jim Stevenson had them readily available. As has been mentioned they were definitely available at toy fairs.

Whilst there might not have been that many on UK ebay they were easy to find in Australia and the US. I bought my first POTF MOC in 1999 from Australia this way - Romba for around £30.

I agree that the prices have escalated dramatically over the past couple of years (it's only two years ago I bought a Luke Poncho POTF MOC for £60), you can say that about a lot of vintage SW.

Exactly I would agree with all of this.
Yes the bubbles go yellow, that’s why I try not to buy graded ones as the bubble can’t be protected when shipping.
I have had an Ewok try to escape during shipping, not graded, just not packed very well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Paullaura
New User
New User

Postby Paullaura » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:01 pm

pizzathehutt wrote:I don't remember seeing them and I was still buying carded figures in the shops in 88 so quite late on

my nan lived not far from marble arch and every Christmas we would walk up to see the lights in bond street, I do remember seeing a diorama of loose figures and the ewok village in one of Selfridges windows and noticing a couple of unusual ewoks and han carbonite but at the time thinking it was a han poncho without his jacket maybe.

If anywhere did manage to get some potf it would've been forbidden planet as I know they were importing a lot even in those days i'm told

How many of you managed to get the Anakin mail away out of interest? or did you get him on a trilogo?

I got the mail order one. He was the only last 17 i never found on trilogo.

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Here's a thought if Yakface was never available in the U.S but he came on a POTF card, where were those cards released? Canada? Or am I wrong in saying he was never released in the U.S?

Paullaura
New User
New User

Postby Paullaura » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:14 pm

theforceuk wrote:Here's a thought if Yakface was never available in the U.S but he came on a POTF card, where were those cards released? Canada? Or am I wrong in saying he was never released in the U.S?

Pretty sure there were alot of them in australia.

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Ah yeah I forgot about Australia, good point. :lol:

Cardbackkid
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Cardbackkid » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:02 pm

I believe old yak face was only available in Canada .. and I agree it’s very hard to find certain ones with a clear bubble . At-st driver seems to be quite common to find with a clear bubble
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:12 pm

I've googled it and it seems he was mainly released in Canada and Europe on a POTF card. He was definitely released in Australia on a POTF card though. I think you have to assume that a small amount of POTF cards found their way to the UK. :?

Nice POTF run. :shock:

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:25 pm

Great POTF run, really nice Luke Stormtrooper, and Yoda.
Don’t think I have seen a Wicket or Teebo in a collection before, certainly different.

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:44 am

I know the question waa about figures but what's the consensus on POTF boxed items appearing here? I'm sure I've read memories of combo packs ( eg Tauntaun / Wampa ) or the body rigs turning up albeit very sparsely.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”