Header image

When did you.......

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

When did you.......

Postby lejackal » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:33 pm

stop buying any old vintage and actually figure out what you like and want to stick with?

As I’m sure most of you know by now I spend a lot of time buying up any old crap, try it, keep it for a while, sell it and buy something else.

Now after over three years I am ( I think ) developing a better idea of what does it for me, what I actually want to keep.

I’ve been picking up stuff I had in childhood more and more and now it’s sticking.

How long did it take you?
What flicks your switch?

Nick_IoW
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: When did you.......

Postby Nick_IoW » Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:48 pm

I'm not there quite yet - but slowly working out what I actually want! Slowly.

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:42 pm

Probably about 10 years ago when I moved into my own place and realised what a random load of stuff I had and not just Star Wars. I still had all my toys from childhood He-Man, Ghostbusters, Thundercats and small amount of Transformers. I sold everything that wasn’t Star Wars and put the money towards finishing the loose run.

Then I just brought random MOCs, then decided to go for the 12 backs and then one day read the debut card article on 12back.com and decided to focus on a complete debut run. That was about 6 years ago I think. I have brought the odd boxed item since then but have stuck to it quite well. Because of the recent price rises I have decided to go for a card back side focus as well which is like collecting loose figures 10 years ago.
Last edited by theforceuk on Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

hellhippie
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby hellhippie » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:44 pm

about 10 years ago I finally decided that my collection needed to be gone through to find at least good examples of loose figures , especially common stuff . got rid of my paint rubs and knicked up stuff unless it was rare and pricey .

im basically focused on foreign variants . basically .

glad I did as I prices are ridiculous for the quality items
id rather be fishing

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:46 pm

Iv'e always only bought what I really wanted from day one really, I never buy anything unless I love it or it's nostalgic.

My entire vintage collection of other toys ( excluding SW ) only consists of things I had as a kid, but as for my SW collection I make an exception as there are a ton of figures in my collection I never had as a kid, but I only buy them today if I really like them. I'm very picky with what I want and there is about half of the entire vintage figure line that i'll never buy unless I start to love the look of certain ones some day.

Iv'e been this way since I started buying things for nostalgia back in around 2001, and every item I buy has to be in as mint condition as possible, apart from my loose SW figure set everything else in my vintage collection has to either be still sealed or mint boxed, i'm a bit of an awkward cunt like that. :lol:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:53 pm

I don't think I will ever stop unless I don't have money :lol: But I only buy what I want and then I buy childhood lots and sell or trade the items in the lots that I do not need, but I always keep most of it :D

But I must also admit, that I have had thoughts about my star wars 90s and 00s stuff. I once collected them but maybe 8 years ago my focus changed to variants and then there have not been money for my 90s and 00s focus. I have not looked at it for maybe 8 years, I have no time for it and I do not fell the same for it as I fell for the vintage. So I must admit I have thought about selling most or all of my 90s and 00s stuff and use the money for vintage star wars :? It did not make it better that I found a case full of 90s and 00s figures in zip locks mint that have only been removed from moc for display that I did not know I had. I also found a bag with 35 vintage figures with and some weapons :oops:

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:24 pm

I love all of it, from shitty beaters to multi thousand MOCs. The only reason I ever sell stuff is if I need the money, or run out of space. These days I sell much less. I still get just as excited about seeing a £30 Jedi MOC as I did 25 years ago, because that's what I was buying back then. I think newer collectors burn out much quicker because nothing is spectacular any more, you see ultra rare stuff on Facebook every day.

Taffius
Regular
Regular

Postby Taffius » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:30 pm

I am restarting and aint got a clue on where I want to go never mind when and how to stop to focus apart from get as many loose as possible with original weapons (where possible :lol: ) as I can.

The nostalgia is key. Large loose collection the goal!

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:54 pm

I’ve only ever bought what I wanted, I just don’t always want it when it arrives or shortly afterwards :lol:

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:20 pm

I have managed to get away from random purchasing, my problem/benefit though is getting an item researching it then going down that avenue.
Baggies are a massive draw for me and hopefully 2018 will allow me to add to the Baggie collection ( MP as well)

There are so many avenues in collecting vintage it's hard to get away from the genuine buzz you get with each new item you add to your collection. Slowly setting up display areas and enjoying it immensely, will never tire of it I know that for a fact!

Reseals and beater Mocs have a massive draw for me, not just from a financial perspective, but the fact that you are saving items. I get a massive buzz when I see a nice moc that is damaged, it's affordable for a meagre budget and with the aid of a toploader you can display it with pride.

I don't think I will ever truly define my collecting ( as I collect vintage tmnt/motion/thundercats etc with my lad, so loads to entice there.

Vintage SW will always win over for me though
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

apack7229
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby apack7229 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:50 pm

For me I like to collect what interests me be it a moc, loose beater, or something completely random like a costume.
My Fett Showcase: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33548
My Vintage Showcase: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34130
My Cardback Showcase: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34270

bobbybobs
Regular
Regular

Postby bobbybobs » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:34 pm

I found my focus pretty much only a few months after I started collecting.

Crumm
Regular
Regular

Postby Crumm » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:49 pm

I have only just started and am trying to obtain only what I really want from the outset. Every purchase will be a figure in the best condition I can afford because I don't really have massive amounts of expendable cash to splurge on hobbies. I really want to get my purchases right first time if I can.

Having said that I bought a repro Imperial Blaster that was advertised as real...Rather miffed to say the least.

During my mint loose collection run I don't think I will be spending on frivolous "items of interest". Just on building the collection really.
It's a trap!

Taffius
Regular
Regular

Postby Taffius » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:10 pm

Taffius wrote:I am restarting and aint got a clue on where I want to go never mind when and how to stop to focus apart from get as many loose as possible with original weapons (where possible :lol: ) as I can.

The nostalgia is key. Large loose collection the goal!

Loose collection goal = just got my first cardback! MOCs next!!! :lol:

grinchy
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby grinchy » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:32 pm

I've been collecting about ten years now, my loose set is still not complete and I'm finding myself priced out of the market at the moment
So i needed something to add to the collection and focused on minirigs with there boxes, which are readily available and not to pricey, something about the box art really takes me back, i'm working my way through them.
IF I WOKE UP TOMMOROW WITH MY HEAD SEWN TO THE CARPET I WOULDN'T BE MORE SURPRISED THAN I AM NOW
YOU SIT ON A THRONE OF LIES!

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”