Header image

Whats inspired recent influx of new members?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Whats inspired recent influx of new members?

Postby Taffius » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:26 pm

Hi all,
Myself inspired by how much I liked the most recent film and becoming notalgic again.
As a newcomer / returner, the pastime has certainly advanced and sought to seek help from the offset to assist in avoiding fakes and ensure I am not being fleeced on items I have no clue about anymore.
I found the podcasts very useful (up to 5 already), however they so good I am now listening whilst driving into and from work, at work, whilst at home and whilst in bed!
What I have learnt in the last weeks:
Tracker is handy, recognising toy tonis, grading and the U's and having trust in fellow collectors as a great source of collectibles. What events to go to, how much I have to save up and what to budget for. Re-focus from the start and/or go with the flow and follow the heart!
Many thanks so far - I am loving the return and SWF has made the return even greater!
Last edited by Taffius on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SAVORY100
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Re: Whats inspired recent influx of new members?

Postby SAVORY100 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:35 pm

Great post and really good to read your enthusiasm for the hobby
On the hunt for items for my Han Original big head / pinhead focus

WANTS LIST

HAN SOLO FOCUS

CUSTOMS SHOWCASE

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Taffius wrote:Hi all,
Myself inspired by how much I liked the most recent film and becoming notalgic again.
As a newcomer / returner, the pastime has certainly advanced and sought to seek help from the offset to assist in avoiding fakes and ensure I am not being fleeced on items I have no clue about anymore.
I found the podcasts very useful (up to 5 already), however they so good I am now listening whilst driving into and from work, at work, whilst at home and whilst in bed!
What I have learnt in the last weeks:
Tracker is handy, recognising toy tonis, grading and the U's and having trust in fellow collectors as a great source of collectibles. What events to go to, how much I have to save up and what to budget for. Re-focus from the start and/or go with the flow and follow the heart!
Many thanks so far - I am loving the return and SWF has made the return even greater!

Refreshing, thanks for posting.

spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby spoons » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:14 pm

I echo those sentiments - great post!
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

SublevelStudios
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby SublevelStudios » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:29 pm

It's essential for the forum to have new members join, keeps it fresh and keeps it going, having new people to interact with is great for the hobby and the wider community.

I really would recommend you attend one or two events this year, and introduce yourself. I've made some really great friends over the years.

Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Taffius » Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:35 pm

SublevelStudios wrote:It's essential for the forum to have new members join, keeps it fresh and keeps it going, having new people to interact with is great for the hobby and the wider community.

I really would recommend you attend one or two events this year, and introduce yourself. I've made some really great friends over the years.

Many thanks for that. Well I did probe for info within Events page, so looked at toy fairs and Furthestfrom is very prominent (more convinced post listening to podcasts).
Also found Celebration interesting as if its in Florida for 2019 that might be tempting to combine with a little holiday! :lol:

Paullaura
Regular
Regular

Postby Paullaura » Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:16 pm

For me its just a return to collecting. Got out of buying vintage around 2 years ago and got into RC cars again.

Just fancied putting together a nice loose set to start with and see what happens... :roll:

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:11 pm

Great post, refreshing to see the enthusiasm for the hobby, your in the right place, good luck with your collecting :D
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:12 pm

Paullaura wrote:For me its just a return to collecting. Got out of buying vintage around 2 years ago and got into RC cars again.

Just fancied putting together a nice loose set to start with and see what happens... :roll:

I think we all know what will happen :lol: your on the road to building a collection :)
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Taffius » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:18 pm

Paullaura wrote:For me its just a return to collecting. Got out of buying vintage around 2 years ago and got into RC cars again.

Hi Paullaura,

Just wondering if it was conincidence with a new film release or the film and associated hype sturred the liking to get a collection again?
What is it that makes us return? What is the draw?
Just pondering out loud :D

Paullaura
Regular
Regular

Postby Paullaura » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:11 pm

I got heavily into RC stuff again and star wars just took a back seat.

Never really bothered with loose stuff in the past and fancy a nice display set. Cant display the RC s... 8)

subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby subzero » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:31 pm

Welcome to the forum and back to collecting, I myself got back into collecting last year because I actually started collecting other vintage toys from my childhood, so that got me nostalgic and sparked off wanting vintage SW again. I only originally intended to get just a couple of loose figures and a boxed speeder bike, then started wondering "hmm sure would be nice to have a small collection", it was from that point I knew, i'd fucked up! :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the ride!
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Crumm
Regular
Regular

Postby Crumm » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:22 am

Just started my loose mint run in November.

I had the figures as a kid, and for the last couple of years have been thinking about getting started collecting them.

Just never got around to it until now.
"How much you wanna bet I could throw a football over them mountains!"

Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Taffius » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:27 am

subzero wrote:I only originally intended to get just a couple of loose figures and a boxed speeder bike, then started wondering "hmm sure would be nice to have a small collection", it was from that point I knew, i'd fucked up! :lol: :lol:

Enjoy the ride!

Did smile :lol:

Taffius
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Taffius » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:28 am

Crumm wrote:Just started my loose mint run in November.

I had the figures as a kid, and for the last couple of years have been thinking about getting started collecting them.

Just never got around to it until now.

New film fuelling fire?

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”