Header image

Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 2, 2018, Part 1/2

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 2, 2018, Part 1/2

Postby Pomse2001 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:15 pm

Patrol Dewback:

I did not have this Dewback when I was a kid, I have never seen it for sale in denmark in the 70s and 80s. Star Wars first became big in the toy stores in the early 80s in Denmark. But maybe a few small toy stores had them, I have heard stories about a few stores sold star wars in the 70s.

So when I started as an adult star wars collector then this was one of my first beasts that I bought :D

Here is a picture of my Patrol Dewback collection :D

All other members on the forum is also welcome to share pictures and discuss the Dewback in this thread :D

P1150944.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rhyfelyser
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 2, 2018, Part 1/2

Postby rhyfelyser » Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:07 am

Not much love for the Dewback? Is it because of the quickly disintegrating reins? Bought my collector series boxed as a MISB in 2001 for £30. Opened it to display and within a few a months the reins was in bits... :?
On and off small time collector of mainly ROTJ 77 backs, vehicles and loosies since 2000.

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:24 am

Every time I see a vintage Dewback I get a little confused, I keep thinking i'm looking at a modern toy based on the Dewbacks from the 90's special edition New Hope. :lol:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Crumm
Regular
Regular

Postby Crumm » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 pm

I don't have one.

But I like the box image, the good guys peering out from behind the rocks :D
"How much you wanna bet I could throw a football over them mountains!"

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:06 pm

rhyfelyser wrote:Not much love for the Dewback? Is it because of the quickly disintegrating reins? Bought my collector series boxed as a MISB in 2001 for £30. Opened it to display and within a few a months the reins was in bits... :?

Yes the reins easily breaks, ah I remember the good old days in 2001 where you could buy misb for good prices, everything was good prices in 2001 :lol:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:10 pm

subzero wrote:Every time I see a vintage Dewback I get a little confused, I keep thinking i'm looking at a modern toy based on the Dewbacks from the 90's special edition New Hope. :lol:

sorry to read you get confused every time you see one :lol:

So will there not be any funny pictures from you with your dewback ? :lol:

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:11 pm

Crumm wrote:I don't have one.

But I like the box image, the good guys peering out from behind the rocks :D

No problem, so far it looks like I am the only one who have a Dewback on the forum :lol:

Yes the good guys is peering behind the rocks, I think the front at the box is really cool 8)

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:18 pm

I love the Dewback. I don’t remember seeing it over here as a kid (think I heard it was US release only) and as a result it was one of the first things I picked up when I got back into collecting.

I like the way he looks, the fact you can wiggle his head and tail (a bit like a Jabba) and I love that you can stick your Stormie in him using the trap door. The SW Figure line weren’t like MOTU where He-Man could sit aside Battle Cat because of his swivel legs so this was ingenious!

Anyways Lars here’s my Dewback. He came with a ROTJ catalogue with Jabba on the front as this was the collector’s issue re-released in 1984.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:19 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
subzero wrote:Every time I see a vintage Dewback I get a little confused, I keep thinking i'm looking at a modern toy based on the Dewbacks from the 90's special edition New Hope. :lol:

Haha, unfortunately no funny pictures, I don't have a Dewback. :lol:
Chavs are easily startled, but they will soon be back, and in greater numbers

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:23 pm

subzero wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:

Haha, unfortunately no funny pictures, I don't have a Dewback. :lol:

Oh sorry to read you do not have a Dewback and if I remember correct I did also not see any funny power droid pictures from you :shock: :lol:

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Star Wars is my favourite movie. I love the original Mos Eisley scenes (not the stupid dinosaur), it’s my favourite part of the movie. My favourite figures from the toy line are the SW figures - the first 12, Luke X-Wing and the Cantina Aliens. Perhaps that’s another reason why I wanted The Patrol Dewback and one of my goals for 2018 is to get a Kenner Pop-up Bonnet Landspeeder.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:38 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:I love the Dewback. I don’t remember seeing it over here as a kid (think I heard it was US release only) and as a result it was one of the first things I picked up when I got back into collecting.

I like the way he looks, the fact you can wiggle his head and tail (a bit like a Jabba) and I love that you can stick your Stormie in him using the trap door. The SW Figure line weren’t like MOTU where He-Man could sit aside Battle Cat because of his swivel legs so this was ingenious!

Anyways Lars here’s my Dewback. He came with a ROTJ catalogue with Jabba on the front as this was the collector’s issue re-released in 1984.

Thanks mate for sharing the pictures and the story. So it was maybe also not sold in the UK :shock: I remember I have seen a canadian box :? so maybe it was sold in usa and canada and maybe a few shops in europe imported the Dewback :?

I also like that you can stick a figure in him, just like the TaunTaun, I think that is cool :D

In the collectors box that I have there is this catalog, is that the same you have in your box ?

Patrol Dewback 15.JPG

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:47 pm

Yep that’s the one. Didn’t have any instructions or We Really Do Care leaflet or any other stuff though. Don’t know if it should do.

TheJabbaWookie
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby TheJabbaWookie » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:52 pm

Looking at Emiel’s MIB Collection he doesn’t have anything either
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3989&p=55403#p55403

rhyfelyser
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby rhyfelyser » Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:59 pm

TheJabbaWookie wrote:Yep that’s the one. Didn’t have any instructions or We Really Do Care leaflet or any other stuff though. Don’t know if it should do.

Contains nothing else in a collectors version, just the cardboard insert and the mini catalogue seen above. Legs of my Dewback has discoloured into a blueish tinge.
On and off small time collector of mainly ROTJ 77 backs, vehicles and loosies since 2000.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”