Header image

Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 2, 2018, Part 1/2

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 7916
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 2, 2018, Part 1/2

Postby spoons » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:59 pm

Definitely expensive and not really a photographer. Just got it to catalogue my collection - helps with cardbacks and bubble reflection
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 10461
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 2, 2018, Part 1/2

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:10 am

spoons wrote:Definitely expensive and not really a photographer. Just got it to catalogue my collection - helps with cardbacks and bubble reflection


Nice, I also have some problems with lights, so I try to take most of my pictures with sun light. I have never thought about a light tent :D

User avatar
spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 7916
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 2, 2018, Part 1/2

Postby spoons » Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:00 pm

I get beat results with sunlight and a light tent. There is less direct light that way
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 10461
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 2, 2018, Part 1/2

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:34 pm

spoons wrote:I get beat results with sunlight and a light tent. There is less direct light that way


sorry my english is not perfect but beat results is that good or bad ? :oops:

User avatar
spoons
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 7916
Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2006 12:01 am
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 2, 2018, Part 1/2

Postby spoons » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:00 pm

Pomse2001 wrote:
spoons wrote:I get beat results with sunlight and a light tent. There is less direct light that way


sorry my english is not perfect but beat results is that good or bad ? :oops:


ha ha - sorry it was a typo

Best results!
http://www.vintagestarwarsdiecast.co.uk for all your vintage die cast needs

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 10461
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 2, 2018, Part 1/2

Postby Pomse2001 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:41 pm

spoons wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
spoons wrote:I get beat results with sunlight and a light tent. There is less direct light that way


sorry my english is not perfect but beat results is that good or bad ? :oops:


ha ha - sorry it was a typo

Best results!


That is great news that you get great pictures with sunlight and a light tent :D

Now I know what a beat results mean :lol:

User avatar
Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1949
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 2, 2018, Part 1/2

Postby Snaketibe » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:37 pm

And another gap being filled! Thanks to all the posters for sharing their terrific Dewbacks with the Forum, and my apologies for the belated post!

Here's my Dewback, and I feel really lucky to have it in this condition. I bought it from an American eBay seller and the idiot wrapped just a single thickness of bubble wrap around the Dewback's box, then a single thickness of brown paper around that, and then posted it across the Atlantic! You will be amazed to learn that the box arrived damaged!... Yes, I know, incredible isn't it?

But joking aside, almost miraculously it only lost about 1 out of 10 in its overall condition as a result of such criminally incompetent packing, and I can thank my lucky stars that the box had its insert to help keep it stiff (insert your own dirty joke here), as otherwise I think I'd be posting pictures of a far more sorry-looking box!

Anyway, the Dewback wasn't officially released in the UK for Star Wars (although some enterprising shops may have privately imported some for sale), and so not only did I not own one in the 1970's, I wasn't even aware of its existence until one day in a Hertford toy shop when I found some Kenner 20-back MOCs (presumably imported), showing the Dewback on the reverse, along with a distinctly different Cantina, Land of the Jawas and Droid Factory to the Palitoy ones I owned! I must have been 7 or 8 at the time and I would only have seen the film a maximum of twice by that point. Let's face it, the Dewback is hardly prominent in the film, and I simply hadn't spotted it. Consequently, when I stood staring amazed at the back of the Kenner 20-back, I distinctly remember thinking, 'What's that?! It's not from Star Wars! They've made it up!' :lol:

I eventually learned the error of my ways, and here's the result :wink:

Blink And You'll Miss It - 01.jpg
Blink And You'll Miss It - 01.jpg (131.9 KiB) Viewed 250 times


Blink And You'll Miss It - 02.jpg
Blink And You'll Miss It - 02.jpg (66.59 KiB) Viewed 250 times


Blink And You'll Miss It - 03.jpg
Blink And You'll Miss It - 03.jpg (138.99 KiB) Viewed 250 times


Blink And You'll Miss It - 04.jpg
Blink And You'll Miss It - 04.jpg (90.45 KiB) Viewed 250 times


Blink And You'll Miss It - 05.jpg
Blink And You'll Miss It - 05.jpg (86 KiB) Viewed 250 times


Blink And You'll Miss It - 06.jpg
Blink And You'll Miss It - 06.jpg (92.83 KiB) Viewed 250 times


Blink And You'll Miss It - 07.jpg
Blink And You'll Miss It - 07.jpg (104.01 KiB) Viewed 250 times

User avatar
Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master
Posts: 10461
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:35 pm
Location: Denmark
Contact:

Re: Star Wars Toy of the Week, Week 2, 2018, Part 1/2

Postby Pomse2001 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:52 pm

Snaketibe wrote:And another gap being filled! Thanks to all the posters for sharing their terrific Dewbacks with the Forum, and my apologies for the belated post!

Here's my Dewback, and I feel really lucky to have it in this condition. I bought it from an American eBay seller and the idiot wrapped just a single thickness of bubble wrap around the Dewback's box, then a single thickness of brown paper around that, and then posted it across the Atlantic! You will be amazed to learn that the box arrived damaged!... Yes, I know, incredible isn't it?

But joking aside, almost miraculously it only lost about 1 out of 10 in its overall condition as a result of such criminally incompetent packing, and I can thank my lucky stars that the box had its insert to help keep it stiff (insert your own dirty joke here), as otherwise I think I'd be posting pictures of a far more sorry-looking box!

Anyway, the Dewback wasn't officially released in the UK for Star Wars (although some enterprising shops may have privately imported some for sale), and so not only did I not own one in the 1970's, I wasn't even aware of its existence until one day in a Hertford toy shop when I found some Kenner 20-back MOCs (presumably imported), showing the Dewback on the reverse, along with a distinctly different Cantina, Land of the Jawas and Droid Factory to the Palitoy ones I owned! I must have been 7 or 8 at the time and I would only have seen the film a maximum of twice by that point. Let's face it, the Dewback is hardly prominent in the film, and I simply hadn't spotted it. Consequently, when I stood staring amazed at the back of the Kenner 20-back, I distinctly remember thinking, 'What's that?! It's not from Star Wars! They've made it up!' :lol:

I eventually learned the error of my ways, and here's the result :wink:

Blink And You'll Miss It - 01.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 02.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 03.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 04.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 05.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 06.jpg

Blink And You'll Miss It - 07.jpg


Better late than never and thanks again for keeping this old thread alive :lol: What a beauty that box is and what a crazy story about the packing :shock: I have never had bad packing with vintage star wars. But years ago I also collected modern star wars. I remember a time when I bought maybe 10 moc from the 90s from a guy in the uk. They were all only packed with brown paper and 50% of them if I remember correct was damaged :roll: I was just glad it was not vintage :D

A lot of the early star wars things like the dewback did I also not see for sale in my country Denmark. I think only a few shops may have privately imported some for sale in the 70. It was first when the empire strikes back came in the cinema that star wars toy began to come in the shops on every corner when I was a kid. Also why it is nearly impossible for me to find boxes and cardbacks from the SW line with danish price stickers on them. I have only found a few and most of them have price stickers from the same little shop.

Thanks for the pictures and the story :wink:


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 14 guests