Header image

RotJ yellow bubbles

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2633
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: RotJ yellow bubbles

Postby subzero » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:15 pm

theforceuk wrote:
subzero wrote:Just think, one day in the far future there will only be 1 carded figure left in the world with an original intact bubble :(


Bloody hell, imagine how much that will sell for on Facebook. :lol:


Haha, a Ree Yees with half a missing ripped card, dark brown but 100% intact bubble £99,999 ono.

*3 mins later*
SOLD

:lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

retrotoyinfo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:54 pm
Contact:

Re: RotJ yellow bubbles

Postby retrotoyinfo » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:24 pm

subzero wrote:
theforceuk wrote:
subzero wrote:Just think, one day in the far future there will only be 1 carded figure left in the world with an original intact bubble :(


Bloody hell, imagine how much that will sell for on Facebook. :lol:


Haha, a Ree Yees with half a missing ripped card, dark brown but 100% intact bubble £99,999 ono.

*3 mins later*
SOLD

:lol:


Ree Yees will have his day eventually! :lol:
www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

Lee Bullock
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee
Posts: 348
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:19 pm
Location: Here

Re: RotJ yellow bubbles

Postby Lee Bullock » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:03 pm

retrotoyinfo wrote:Just listened to that podcast, didn't have a clue what he was talking about! Far too scientific. And there is no conclusive evidence what makes them yellow and brittle. It's pretty obvious that plastic degrades over time and once it's extremely yellowed is likely to start breaking apart.



Unfortunately my friend yellowing bubbles is due to science, I tried to break down a very complex subject for a lay audience - I am sorry if I failed in that endeavour. As for conclusive evidence - there is no 100% conclusive evidence in anything in science, only best hypothesis and good predictive models. If you have questions about what was covered in the interview please PM me and I will try to explain it. But really my only intention was to help the collecting community.

Lee
Feedback thread -----> viewtopic.php?f=22&t=11598

retrotoyinfo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:54 pm
Contact:

Re: RotJ yellow bubbles

Postby retrotoyinfo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:59 am

Lee Bullock wrote:
retrotoyinfo wrote:Just listened to that podcast, didn't have a clue what he was talking about! Far too scientific. And there is no conclusive evidence what makes them yellow and brittle. It's pretty obvious that plastic degrades over time and once it's extremely yellowed is likely to start breaking apart.



Unfortunately my friend yellowing bubbles is due to science, I tried to break down a very complex subject for a lay audience - I am sorry if I failed in that endeavour. As for conclusive evidence - there is no 100% conclusive evidence in anything in science, only best hypothesis and good predictive models. If you have questions about what was covered in the interview please PM me and I will try to explain it. But really my only intention was to help the collecting community.

Lee
www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

retrotoyinfo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:54 pm
Contact:

Re: RotJ yellow bubbles

Postby retrotoyinfo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:05 am

retrotoyinfo wrote:
Lee Bullock wrote:
retrotoyinfo wrote:Just listened to that podcast, didn't have a clue what he was talking about! Far too scientific. And there is no conclusive evidence what makes them yellow and brittle. It's pretty obvious that plastic degrades over time and once it's extremely yellowed is likely to start breaking apart.



Unfortunately my friend yellowing bubbles is due to science, I tried to break down a very complex subject for a lay audience - I am sorry if I failed in that endeavour. As for conclusive evidence - there is no 100% conclusive evidence in anything in science, only best hypothesis and good predictive models. If you have questions about what was covered in the interview please PM me and I will try to explain it. But really my only intention was to help the collecting community.

Lee


I do appreciate your podcast, and realise there are complex reasons behind the yellowing. I could also hear you were trying to simplify as much as possible for the listener. I don't think you failed as you couldn't have done it any better, and I am sure it was very helpful to the star wars community. Yellow bubbles have plagued the star wars card collector and caused much frustration. It was just too much above my head even simplified, which I could blame my lack of interest in science at school :lol:
www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

Dannywhiteley
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
Posts: 501
Joined: Wed May 06, 2015 8:50 pm

Re: RotJ yellow bubbles

Postby Dannywhiteley » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:17 pm

Plastic is organic in origin, ie derived from oils. Anything organic is going to degrade and decompose over time. Plastic bags might be the scourge of the environment but ultimately plastic isn't an inert substance so heat, light and humidity all play a part in the breakdown of the material at molecular level over a period of time. Plasticisers leach out and the material becomes brittle and discoloured. Heat will speed up a chemical reaction so stands to reason those figures that have been stored in hot humid environments will go first.


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], lejackal, SublevelStudios and 8 guests