RotJ yellow bubbles

Crumm

Padawan
Hi all.

Have been looking into Luke Jedi MOC's but all the ones I have seen so far have a very yellowed bubble.

In fact, a great many of the RotJ carded figures have very yellowed bubbles, even in comparison to many SW and ESB ones, which technically are older?

Is there a particular reason for this that someone could shed a little light on?

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
It's thought that Kenner must have changed the type of plastic they used from this line onwards, POTF figures are even worse.

If you're looking for clear bubble ROTJ figures then you're best bet would be to go for trilogo as they are usually still crystal clear but often come with a few dings.

subzero

Sith Lord
It is a shame there isn't a bubble with the best of both worlds, trilogo's nice and clear but always usually dented/crushed, single logo's nice intact bubbles but yellow as piss.

I think I only have about 3 clear bubbles out of my 15 strong collection, and even those 3 'clear' ones have the tiniest touch of yellowing.

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
I think the yellow bubble on ROTJ only seems to occur on a few figures and believe this is related to the country they were made. Nearly all my ROTJ cards have clear bubbles and I have not experienced this problem. I have many different carded ROTJ figures.

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
It's annoying I know, I've thought about getting some yellow lessened sunglasses, so when I look at my collection with them on everything will look yellow and you won't notice the yellow bubbles as much. :lol:

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
If you haven't listened to the Vintage Rebellion Episode 25 then do it - Grant's oddball interview with Lee Bullock is really interesting talking about plastic degradation on a number of items including bubbles. Starts at 3:31:21. https://swtvrpodcast.podbean.com/page/2/

Mini99

Sith Lord
Supporter
theforceuk said:
It's annoying I know, I've thought about getting some yellow lessened sunglasses, so when I look at my collection with them on everything will look yellow and you won't notice the yellow bubbles as much. :lol:
Well that's one way to come to terms with the problem. :lol:

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
Just listened to that podcast, didn't have a clue what he was talking about! Far too scientific. And there is no conclusive evidence what makes them yellow and brittle. It's pretty obvious that plastic degrades over time and once it's extremely yellowed is likely to start breaking apart.

subzero

Sith Lord
Just think, one day in the far future there will only be 1 carded figure left in the world with an original intact bubble, just 1, and then after that one degrades there'd be nothing.

Don't matter how well these things are archived, it's gonna happen.

:(

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
subzero said:
Just think, one day in the far future there will only be 1 carded figure left in the world with an original intact bubble, just 1, and then after that one degrades there'd be nothing.

Agreed :lol: It's why AFA or whoever grading is a bit pointless, the card will never stay in the same state. Maybe they should be cryogenically frozen. "Surprisingly, plastic can perform quite well, as long the plastic products are created with cryogenic freezing in mind.", Not sure they thought about this in 1980s :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
retrotoyinfo said:
subzero said:

Agreed :lol: It's why AFA or whoever grading is a bit pointless, the card will never stay in the same state. Maybe they should be cryogenically frozen. "Surprisingly, plastic can perform quite well, as long the plastic products are created with cryogenic freezing in mind.", Not sure they thought about this in 1980s :lol:

That's it haha they even turn yellow and crack when in a sealed grading case, even if it was kept in a controlled environment like when collectors keep a vintage car under a bubble would only mean it's gonna degrade a lot further down the line, but it's still inevitable. :lol:

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
It was discussed on previous topic http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=24718

And here http://theswca.com/textf/bubbles.html

theforceuk

Grand Master
Supporter
subzero said:
Just think, one day in the far future there will only be 1 carded figure left in the world with an original intact bubble :(

Bloody hell, imagine how much that will sell for on Facebook. :lol:

subzero

Sith Lord
theforceuk said:
subzero said:
Just think, one day in the far future there will only be 1 carded figure left in the world with an original intact bubble :(

Haha, a Ree Yees with half a missing ripped card, dark brown but 100% intact bubble £99,999 ono.

*3 mins later*
SOLD

:lol:

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
subzero said:
theforceuk said:
subzero said:

Haha, a Ree Yees with half a missing ripped card, dark brown but 100% intact bubble £99,999 ono.

*3 mins later*
SOLD

:lol:

Ree Yees will have his day eventually! :lol:

Lee Bullock

Jedi Knight
retrotoyinfo said:
Just listened to that podcast, didn't have a clue what he was talking about! Far too scientific. And there is no conclusive evidence what makes them yellow and brittle. It's pretty obvious that plastic degrades over time and once it's extremely yellowed is likely to start breaking apart.

Unfortunately my friend yellowing bubbles is due to science, I tried to break down a very complex subject for a lay audience - I am sorry if I failed in that endeavour. As for conclusive evidence - there is no 100% conclusive evidence in anything in science, only best hypothesis and good predictive models. If you have questions about what was covered in the interview please PM me and I will try to explain it. But really my only intention was to help the collecting community.

Lee

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
Lee Bullock said:
retrotoyinfo said:

Unfortunately my friend yellowing bubbles is due to science, I tried to break down a very complex subject for a lay audience - I am sorry if I failed in that endeavour. As for conclusive evidence - there is no 100% conclusive evidence in anything in science, only best hypothesis and good predictive models. If you have questions about what was covered in the interview please PM me and I will try to explain it. But really my only intention was to help the collecting community.

Lee

retrotoyinfo

Padawan
retrotoyinfo said:
Lee Bullock said:
retrotoyinfo said:

Lee

I do appreciate your podcast, and realise there are complex reasons behind the yellowing. I could also hear you were trying to simplify as much as possible for the listener. I don't think you failed as you couldn't have done it any better, and I am sure it was very helpful to the star wars community. Yellow bubbles have plagued the star wars card collector and caused much frustration. It was just too much above my head even simplified, which I could blame my lack of interest in science at school :lol:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Latest posts

Top Bottom