Storing figures?

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Sorry guys quick question if i am storing recently bought mint figures would you wrap them in bubble wrap individually and place in a box or would you just lay them down on some bubble wrap in a box? Would you use a cardboard box or plastic box? and would you allowe air in or seal it tight? im clueless!

hellhippie

Jedi Master
I had my collection stored for years in acid free bags (individual) in old computer paper boxes (cardboard) never had a problem .
I wouldn't just lay everything in there without individual protection , for fear of dings and paint rubs

poncho

Grand Master
bubble wrap will eventually stick/melt to the the figure if left for a lengthy time. im with bill on acid free bags :)

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
poncho said:
bubble wrap will eventually stick/melt to the the figure if left for a lengthy time. im with bill on acid free bags :)

Oh **** really?! Ive got 4 boxes of figures wrapped or layered with bubble wrap!
What should i do?
Would you suggest tissue paper or something else? just to act as a layer as i place the figures on them, then another layer etc.
Im very apprehensive about the acid in the bags affecting the figures colour and paint loss, obviously i dont want the bubble wrap to stick to the figures either! I dont really want to use clamshells for worry of poaint rub and lack of air. What box is best for the figures also? Cardboard could get damp but plastic boxes get cold!
And do you need air going into the box? as surely then if they are in bags they dont get any air?

peekaygee73

Sith Lord
Alltooeasy said:
Oh **** really?! Ive got 4 boxes of figures wrapped or layered with bubble wrap!
What should i do?
At the risk of parroting the other guys, you should get acid-free plastic bags, one per figure.

lejackal

Grand Master
This is all rather reminiscent of the spring of 2016

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29860

Alltooeasy said:
itfciain said:
I think that you might be over analyzing things but I am sure that I can help one way or another :D

Grading figures is a personal choice - but to be honest, unless it is something very rare then really all you are doing is paying for someone's opinion - which will be no much better than your own. I know some people like the say they look in the cases and the cases with rails that hold them are only available from AFA or UKG. There have been plenty of instances where those rails have rubbed against the figure and caused additional markings and once they are sealed then there isn't much you can do about this.

As for your situation then if you are just storing them, the clamshells will work just fine - most will go in the standard version (20GBP posted for 50) but a few will need the wider one. Alternatively you can just store them in acid free bags (3GBP for 100) - either will keep them safe and not cause any damage (although it is sensible to open the bags or the clamshells now and again to let the figures breath)

Once you are ready for display then either single figure cases (you can glue the stand to the base) do look very nice and are much cheaper than grading the figure. Alternatively you can purchase some display cases from Ikea or like likes (Detolf and Billy are popular) and display the figures in there. We also so do steps so you can display more in a smaller space

Hope that helps a bit

Hi thanks a lot that does help. Now i just have to decide on gw acrylic cases or the clamshells. I guess the acrylic are easier as i can leave the sliding back open slightly to let air in. I just have to consider the process of gluing the stand in each time! Might sound stupid here but the glue wont affect the figure will it? Considering the age of the figures, but allowing airflow in through the back shouldnt affect the figure should it? Also is there ample room in the gw acrylic cases or do the figures hit the sides/back?

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
lejackal said:
This is all rather reminiscent of the spring of 2016

http://www.starwarsforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29860

Alltooeasy said:
itfciain said:
I think that you might be over analyzing things but I am sure that I can help one way or another :D

Grading figures is a personal choice - but to be honest, unless it is something very rare then really all you are doing is paying for someone's opinion - which will be no much better than your own. I know some people like the say they look in the cases and the cases with rails that hold them are only available from AFA or UKG. There have been plenty of instances where those rails have rubbed against the figure and caused additional markings and once they are sealed then there isn't much you can do about this.

As for your situation then if you are just storing them, the clamshells will work just fine - most will go in the standard version (20GBP posted for 50) but a few will need the wider one. Alternatively you can just store them in acid free bags (3GBP for 100) - either will keep them safe and not cause any damage (although it is sensible to open the bags or the clamshells now and again to let the figures breath)

Once you are ready for display then either single figure cases (you can glue the stand to the base) do look very nice and are much cheaper than grading the figure. Alternatively you can purchase some display cases from Ikea or like likes (Detolf and Billy are popular) and display the figures in there. We also so do steps so you can display more in a smaller space

Hope that helps a bit

Hi thanks a lot that does help. Now i just have to decide on gw acrylic cases or the clamshells. I guess the acrylic are easier as i can leave the sliding back open slightly to let air in. I just have to consider the process of gluing the stand in each time! Might sound stupid here but the glue wont affect the figure will it? Considering the age of the figures, but allowing airflow in through the back shouldnt affect the figure should it? Also is there ample room in the gw acrylic cases or do the figures hit the sides/back?

You're lack of helpful comments and advice is awfully reminiscent. Lots of nice members on here...sadly i cannot add you to the list just yet :twisted:

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
I have my collection stored in the Collectors cases from the vintage range and each is in an individual acid bag like others have mentioned. Some of the figures have been in there since 2003 and all are still in mint condition. Both the zip lock bags and clam shell cases will be absolutely fine as long as you treat them with care. None of us can offer you a guarantee if they are just thrown about though.

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Alltooeasy said:
You're lack of helpful comments and advice is awfully reminiscent. Lots of nice members on here...sadly i cannot add you to the list just yet :twisted:

You had helpful advice the other 20 times you asked this question.

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Clarkspie&chips said:
Alltooeasy said:

Oh! here we go. Keyboard warrior attacks :roll:

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
TheJabbaWookie said:
I have my collection stored in the Collectors cases from the vintage range and each is in an individual acid bag like others have mentioned. Some of the figures have been in there since 2003 and all are still in mint condition. Both the zip lock bags and clam shell cases will be absolutely fine as long as you treat them with care. None of us can offer you a guarantee if they are just thrown about though.

Thanks for that man :) If i put them in clamshells would you advise 1 or 2 pin prick holes in the shell to allow air in for the figure to breathe?

subzero

Sith Lord
Clarkspie&chips said:
Alltooeasy said:

:lol:

Clarkspie&chips

Sith Lord
Not really, people here have been extremely patient with you over the years especially since you've been banned what two or three times?

Most members ask questions and then listen to the advice their given, grow their knowledge and feed things back to the forum. It's what makes this place so great. You should try it sometime.

Alltooeasy

Jedi Knight
Cant find a massive yawn emoji so i'll just put a few of these on here :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

lejackal

Grand Master
Alltooeasy said:
Cant find a massive yawn emoji so i'll just put a few of these on here :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Maybe this is yours?

Attachments

• 35AC0AC6-5D99-483C-AFB9-BD754CC2D2D2.jpeg
    35AC0AC6-5D99-483C-AFB9-BD754CC2D2D2.jpeg
    17.1 KB · Views: 186
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom