What do you think?

pmsbull

Jedi Master
Given the current market, what do you think a full set of vintage figures is going to cost a new collector?
I mean a full set of every figure, inc rareties like blue snag.
A friend who's frankly a bit skint was considering getting into vintage and I tried telling him it was a bottomless money put if you start from scratch, but he is still keen.

Pomse2001

Grand Master
pmsbull said:
Given the current market, what do you think a full set of vintage figures is going to cost a new collector?
A friend who's frankly a bit skint was considering getting into vintage and I tried telling him it was a bottomless money put if you start from scratch, but he is still keen.

I think it is hard to say you can still get many of the rotj figures cheap like klaatu, ree-yees, gamorrean guard etc. etc. it is the figures with the more rare weapons that cost crazy money today and most of the POTF figures :( if he have patience then he can be lucky to find most of them for good prices :D

subzero

Sith Lord
Same here, i'd suggest starting with the cheaper ROTJ figures / Jabba's goons etc just to get the ball rolling with a nice little cheap collection. And if money is an issue i'd suggest waiting it out on the more expensive ones and use patience to find them listed cheap on ebay, there are still some great bargains to be had on there, iv'e bought quite a few figures at market value only to see another one listed at half the price or less weeks/months later by someone who hasn't researched their prices.

Of course you'd need to be watching ebay regularly throughout the day, I mean a lot lol otherwise bargains will be snapped up in seconds, and it will take a lot longer to build a collection up trying to wait for the bargains, but it's very satisfying when you do finally get lucky and makes the collecting game quite exciting.

But we all know how carried away we can get as new collectors and feel like we need everything right now at full price. :lol:

lejackal

Grand Master
You don't need to be flush to enjoy this hobby, you need to be responsible with what you spend and be patient. Learn how to spot repro, how to use ebays excellent return policy and then go bargain hunting.
Time invested into learning will go further than a thick wedge and ignorance

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
pmsbull said:
I'm not being funny, but what do you mean by 'a full set'? Everyone defines this differently, since some people will care about both variants 'A' and 'B', whilst others couldn't give 2 hoots about 'B', but definitely want an 'A'. And depending on the figure variant, it can make a huge difference to the cost of the set. For example, if you include a loose toxic limbs Bossk, that's at least an extra grand on the cost right there (assuming you can even find one for sale).

It's a fair bit of work, but the only way to really get an answer to your question is to write out the list of figures in your particular 'full set', but at a minimum it will run into several thousands of pounds at today's prices.

Snaketibe

Grand Master
Supporter
And I also agree with all the other comments about being more targeted in your collecting approach if your friend is new to the hobby. You don't have to have it all to enjoy it :)

subzero

Sith Lord
lejackal said:
You don't need to be flush to enjoy this hobby, you need to be responsible with what you spend and be patient. Learn how to spot repro, how to use ebays excellent return policy and then go bargain hunting.
Time invested into learning will go further than a thick wedge and ignorance

So basically never go on Echo Base. :lol:

SAVORY100

Sith Lord
Break it into chunks and it can still be affordable.

For Example:

4 heroes - Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie
2 Droids - R2, 3PO
2 Baddies - Vader, Stormtrooper
Extend that to a first 12

Then maybe go after Hoth heroes, Hoth Villans (some very affordable ones in here

Then jump on to Jabba Goons - some of these are super cheap

Fill in the gaps with other targeted groups.

Possibly finish with last 15 and a Blue Snag?

By doing it this way it reduces the scatter gun approach and means the purchases are more considered and therefore they don't all come in at once and although its not actually cheaper, it does feel like little and often building cost rather than a massive £3k sum (or whatever pending condition and variants) needing to be dropped on plastic toys tomorrow.

ChallengerFox

Jedi Knight
Assuming your talking loose and without all the variants for each figure etc , you're looking at about £4k - 5k .

The last 17 alone will be close to £2k .

TheJabbaWookie

Sith Lord
It took me 22 years (on and off) to collect a full loose set and it was still as every bit as satisfying (if not more) when I finally achieved it last year! And doing it that way I've picked up some bargains on the way too (even more satisfying).

Robstyley

Sith Lord
TheJabbaWookie said:
It took me 22 years (on and off) to collect a full loose set and it was still as every bit as satisfying (if not more) when I finally achieved it last year! And doing it that way I've picked up some bargains on the way too (even more satisfying).

That's the way to do it. I've been at it 10 years and I'm still about 10 short :wink:
I'm only adding about 2 - 3 a year now, last 17. I like it that way, it's been a great journey. I wouldn't want to be starting now though :eek:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Top Bottom