Header image

Is Star Wars only for the rich ?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Re: Is Star Wars only for the rich ?

Postby chipsteak » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:04 pm

Yeah I think that too. Many with the top drawer items aren't millionaires, they've just been at it longer than me. And my collection, of mostly regular items, was easier to come by than it will be now

Doing what I did about eight years ago would probably yield me half or less the goodies I have now. That's a sad fact but I hope that newcomers will be as happy with what they manage to get as I am with mine even though it's nothing like the collections that started ten years before me.

Apart from my life long love of the stuff, much of the love of my collection is that I managed to accumulate it.

Pomse2001
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Pomse2001 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:37 pm

subzero wrote:
Pomse2001 wrote:
Crumm wrote:
I completely agree with you, I prefer to just collect and not have to sell anything to fund something else. You are also right in the fact that one purchase a year is not much fun :(

Thanks for the heads up on the USA as a Potential LJK purchase, that one went for a reasonable price!

I must admit I have thought a lot about selling my 90s and 00s star wars stuff and use the money for vintage. I have not bought anything of it or looked at it in 8 years. And since the prices have gone up and up then I do not have the money to collect vintage and 90s and 00s stuff at the same time. The 90s and 00 stuff does not mean that much to me, but there was a few items that I thought was cool. So I have been thinking about selling most of my 90s and 00s stuff and only keep a few items that I think is cool, like Grand Admiral Thrawn :lol: I think I have maybe 200 figures complete that have never been played with, maybe 100 moc and some playset and vehicles. But I do not know if it is worth anything today :?

If it was me i'd be selling all that in a heartbeat :lol: imagine what vintage you could get then.

If it is not worth much, then I can't get much vintage for it :lol:

edd_jedi
Admin
Admin

Postby edd_jedi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:11 pm

It's possible to collect almost any Star Wars items on any budget with patience. There are loose figures that sell for £5 (Weequay) and 5k (Vlix.) There are Palitoy MOCs that sell for £30 (General Madine) and 15k (Boba Fett.) Basically whatever you want to collect there will always be cheap and expensive pieces, just collect what suits your budget. I have even see reasonably priced props and prototypes.

retrotoyinfo
Regular
Regular

Postby retrotoyinfo » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:24 pm

I think it is a question of what do you consider as being rich? More than 16 million people in the UK have savings of less than £100 from a study by the Money Advice Service (MAS). They would obviously struggle. When millions are worrying about where their next meal is coming from, anybody who dabbles collecting Star Wars is probably ok.

That being said, as I have stated before, if you go back 15 years ago, or even 5, you could pick up Star Wars significantly cheaper than now. Vintage Star wars has got caught up in a sort of bubble, like a boom and bust, but now Disney have picked up the franchise I think the ship has past of cheap vintage star wars toys.
www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:27 pm

Certainly not, collect what the rich don’t want. :wink:
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:32 pm

theforceuk wrote:Certainly not, collect what the rich don’t want. :wink:

What, Bend-Ems? ;-)

POS 01.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby subzero » Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:36 pm

Bend-Ems, for the man who has everything. :lol:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:03 pm

subzero wrote:Bend-Ems, for the man who has everything. :lol:

Apart from taste? :lol:

(With apologies to any Bend-Ems collectors out there! :wink: )

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:04 pm

This is great though?
(Picture stolen from the internet)

And the Glamorian guard wasn’t bad either.
Great card art, can see why they are collected.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Snaketibe » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:06 pm

Mini99 wrote:This is great though?
(Picture stolen from the internet)

And the Glamorian guard wasn’t bad either.
Great card art, can see why they are collected.

I had no idea the Emperor's Royal Guard could walk like an Egyptian! ;-)

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:08 pm

:lol:
Yeh...everyone can after a few beers...Dad dancing!

retrotoyinfo
Regular
Regular

Postby retrotoyinfo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:28 am

I used to sell my Bend-Ems carded figures at boot sales for £1 each, maybe I was charging too much :lol:
www.retrotoyinfo.co.uk A blog on 1970s and 1980s toys

chipsteak
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby chipsteak » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:34 am

retrotoyinfo wrote:I used to sell my Bend-Ems carded figures at boot sales for £1 each, maybe I was charging too much :lol:

I paid as coupe of quid for mine when I bought a couple. Dunno why. I think I had a vision of me sitting with my future grandchildren telling them stories about those few years when nobody gave a toot about Star Wars. With them obviously fascinated to hear all about it.

jayums
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby jayums » Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:39 am

For what it’s worth, I’ve always like collecting loose figures, and having not collected anything for a year and dipping my toes back in, to me it seems the prices for run-of-the-mill stuff seem to have cooled quite a bit. Prices certainly haven’t gone up IMO.

Darth Bobby
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby Darth Bobby » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:23 am

The prices on loose figures are crazy. I couldn’t imagine starting a loose run now. However I think you just have to pace yourself. It’s not a race after all. Non of the big ticket items really appeal to me. I collect for fun and I’m not that bothered about having loads of expensive items in my collection. If I won the lottery then yes maybe I would buy some? I think it’s about being realistic and not over spending. I’d love a load of 12 backs etc but it ain’t going to happen so I’m happy with a few ROTJ MOCs.

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”