Header image

No luck but am I being ripped off?

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Alltooeasy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:31 pm

No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby Alltooeasy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:51 pm

Guys I need some help asap please. Having no luck looking for a mint obi wan loose with no paint loss however someone has contacted me to say they have one with no paint loss, original cape and sabre never been opened for £125! As a relative newbie I need someone to advise if I'm being conned before I buy it? See pics he sent me please
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 6397
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:43 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby edd_jedi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:07 pm

As you can see in that photo the paint on Ben's hands is shit right out the factory on carded figures. You're wasting your time looking for a perfect one.

Alltooeasy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby Alltooeasy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:14 pm

Apologies im not sure what you're saying? I won't ever get a mint loose one? Are you saying the his hands have been repainted? Is the cape and sabre repro?m

User avatar
Palifan
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 3513
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby Palifan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:14 pm

Well it's been opened and the selotape removed that was holding the bubble on and I'm also thinking that the saber is repro so I'd stay away from it.

Ian

User avatar
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 6397
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:43 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby edd_jedi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:15 pm

Alltooeasy wrote:Apologies im not sure what you're saying? I won't ever get a mint loose one?


Yes. I have three carded Ben's and two baggies. And a couple of loose ones. All have crap paint on their hands like the one above.

User avatar
edd_jedi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 6397
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:43 am
Location: London, UK
Contact:

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby edd_jedi » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:18 pm

Here’s one of them:

222E3224-E727-44FF-A286-BA44B3D12ACA.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MrKutzzy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:22 pm

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby MrKutzzy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:42 pm

Bad Reseal with repro saber for sure

User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2638
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby subzero » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:43 pm

I wasn't aware of the hand paint being a known problem, I have a loose Ben with 100% perfect hand paint. 8)

*Not for sale* :wink:
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

Alltooeasy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby Alltooeasy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:50 pm

edd_jedi wrote:
Alltooeasy wrote:Apologies im not sure what you're saying? I won't ever get a mint loose one?


Yes. I have three carded Ben's and two baggies. And a couple of loose ones. All have crap paint on their hands like the one above.



Ok :( thanks for letting me know as I would have kept on looking for mint hands but you're right every single one I've seen has paint loss on the hands! I definitely won't buy this one then especially with that repro sabre! Im not paying over £100 for a repro!! Oh and let me know if you're interested in selling a Ben baggie to me ;)

Alltooeasy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby Alltooeasy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:54 pm

And are we convinced it's repro cape and sabre guys? I've said I'll let him know tomorrow as it gives me more time to get opinions from you knowledgable legends! Also anyone able to sell a baggie or mint loose Ben can message me :)

User avatar
Snaketibe
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1609
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:27 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby Snaketibe » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:44 pm

Alltooeasy wrote:Guys I need some help asap please. Having no luck looking for a mint obi wan loose with no paint loss however someone has contacted me to say they have one with no paint loss, original cape and sabre never been opened for £125! As a relative newbie I need someone to advise if I'm being conned before I buy it? See pics he sent me please

You say you're looking for a mint loose one, then declare you've been offered one which has 'never been opened' for £125. Did you realise that the carded one which had 'never been opened' had in fact been opened and resealed after all, and that the seller was 'mistaken' about that? Because if you weren't, it looks rather like you are asking for the Forum's help in buying a vintage carded figure, so that you can open it to obtain a mint loose one. Perhaps I am wrong, but that's the impression that you give.

You later ask if you can buy one in a baggie. Is your intention to open the baggie in order to obtain the mint loose one you have stated that you want? If so, you might not get too much sympathy here as opening sealed vintage items in order to obtain mint loose ones is widely disapproved of here, and is the reason why U-graded AFA figures are banned from sale on this Forum (in case you don't know what a 'U' grade is, the 'U' stand for 'Uncirculated', and was awarded by the AFA when they were sent carded figures to open and then grade).

As I say, perhaps I am wrong, but you might do well to clarify your intentions, as whilst you are perfectly entitled to do what you like with your own possessions once they are yours, you might find Forum members willing to help you open vintage sealed items quite thin on the ground.

If you really want a mint loose Obi-Wan Kenobi, can I recommend you try something called 'patience'?

Alltooeasy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby Alltooeasy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:14 pm

Snaketibe wrote:
Alltooeasy wrote:Guys I need some help asap please. Having no luck looking for a mint obi wan loose with no paint loss however someone has contacted me to say they have one with no paint loss, original cape and sabre never been opened for £125! As a relative newbie I need someone to advise if I'm being conned before I buy it? See pics he sent me please

You say you're looking for a mint loose one, then declare you've been offered one which has 'never been opened' for £125. Did you realise that the carded one which had 'never been opened' had in fact been opened and resealed after all, and that the seller was 'mistaken' about that? Because if you weren't, it looks rather like you are asking for the Forum's help in buying a vintage carded figure, so that you can open it to obtain a mint loose one. Perhaps I am wrong, but that's the impression that you give.

You later ask if you can buy one in a baggie. Is your intention to open the baggie in order to obtain the mint loose one you have stated that you want? If so, you might not get too much sympathy here as opening sealed vintage items in order to obtain mint loose ones is widely disapproved of here, and is the reason why U-graded AFA figures are banned from sale on this Forum (in case you don't know what a 'U' grade is, the 'U' stand for 'Uncirculated', and was awarded by the AFA when they were sent carded figures to open and then grade).

As I say, perhaps I am wrong, but you might do well to clarify your intentions, as whilst you are perfectly entitled to do what you like with your own possessions once they are yours, you might find Forum members willing to help you open vintage sealed items quite thin on the ground.

If you really want a mint loose Obi-Wan Kenobi, can I recommend you try something called 'patience'?



Yes you are wrong but thankyou for raising the query in a polite manner. I don't have a spare £500/£1000 or so lying around for a mint carded one hence why I thought being offered one for £125 was a bargain but then I thought that can't be legit can it? I Just want a mint Ben either baggie or loose. I have bought several baggies off members on here all still sealed in my possession. I am trying to widen my chances of getting one by accepting a mint Ben either in baggie or loose version. Or by some miracle a carded one for under £100. I did get a ukg 80 one in the ukg case the other year but it had paint loss on the hands so I sold it on

User avatar
Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master
Posts: 1903
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:43 pm

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby Mini99 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:19 pm

Snaketibe wrote: it looks rather like you are asking for the Forum's help in buying a vintage carded figure, so that you can open it to obtain a mint loose one. Perhaps I am wrong, but that's the impression that you give.

If you really want a mint loose Obi-Wan Kenobi, can I recommend you try something called 'patience'?

Funny I read that the same way as you have...if he wants a mint one then wait until one comes up loose or buy a graded one and “set that one free”
Mixed messages here. :?

Alltooeasy
Regular
Regular
Posts: 244
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby Alltooeasy » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:49 pm

Hardly. I want a mint Ben. Ether loose/baggie or a graded one if absolutely mint. All the ones I've seen have paint loss of some sort and the genuine carded ones I've seen are out of my price range. Hardly rocket science is it

User avatar
subzero
Sith Lord
Sith Lord
Posts: 2638
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:50 am

Re: No luck but am I being ripped off?

Postby subzero » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:52 am

Actually you can get a carded ROTJ Ben for about £120+ or even less if you're willing to wait it out and find one in average condition, but still sealed and mint.

Also yes I did read it the same that maybe you were looking to find one to open up because you couldn't find a loose one, if you say you aren't then that's fair enough, it just wasn't worded too clearly originally.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!


Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests