Header image

Stickers on Mocs

Discuss vintage Kenner and Palitoy Star Wars toys from the 1977-1985 era.
Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Stickers on Mocs

Postby Michael Sith » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:43 pm

Looking at 2 cardbacks with sliced bubbles I have

Han with offer sticker
Chewie with whiteplain sticker in top right hand corner

I have read that the use of lighter fluid assists in lifting the stickers, my question is:

Once sticker is lifted with the use of lighter fluid is the sticker able to be replaced in a different position on the card? Or is the sticker damaged

The white sticker ( blank) on the Chewie .....was this done on all 20 backs or is it just a random white sticker?

Would be interested in any advice.

Normally I wouldn't look to remove stickers, just leave them, but in the case of the Han repositioning the offer sticker would cover a damage area and make the finished piece better for display, I would rather use original parts in this way than try and repair a damaged area of litho

I will put up some pics so it will explain better what I mean :D
"What is thy bidding, my master?"

subzero
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Stickers on Mocs

Postby subzero » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:28 pm

Iv'e only removed a sticker once using lighter fluid, I have a Visionaries figure that had a horrible half peeled off large sticker full of residue, like when someone has pulled the sticker off but left a thin layer of torn white paper on it. I can say the lighter fluid worked wonders in removing it all and it looks like there was never a sticker there, but the fluid didn't make it easily peel off though, I had to keep soaking the sticker with the corner of a cloth soaked in fluid and constantly scraping the paper away with my fingernail a tiny bit at a time.

There's no way I could have peeled the whole thing off without damaging it, but it might be different though depending on the sticker, as I think some are stickier than others.
You don't own your toys, you only borrow them until you sell them or die!

lejackal
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby lejackal » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:33 pm

apack7229
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Postby apack7229 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:34 pm

I would say that the offer stickers would be stickier than most store price stickers would be so it would probably be hard to take off without damaging it.
My Fett Showcase viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33548

My Vintage Showcase viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34130

My Cardback Showcase viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34270

choffialoopa
Regular
Regular

Postby choffialoopa » Sat Feb 10, 2018 3:43 pm

I typically love stickers. Proof of history :wink:

theforceuk
Sith Lord
Sith Lord

Postby theforceuk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Once you remove the sticker it will never go back the same, just like the Panini stickers. :lol:
'But I was going to Tosche Station to pick up some power converters.'

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:05 pm

My experience is that some price stickers can be removed quite easily with a hair dryer, don’t forget to cover/protect the bubble.
But the factory applied stickers are well and truly stuck amd I suspect that you will cause a lot of damage to the litho. If you try to remove.
I have a last 17 tri that has had the £1.59 sticker removed, I hate that sticker, but the card would look beter with that than what it does now!
My suggestion is to find a damaged unwanted cardback with the same sticker on that you could practice sticker removal on.

indianawars
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby indianawars » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:21 pm

I've used goo gone to great success. Use a cotton bud to apply it, leave it to do its magic and the sticker should come right off. Then use another cotton bud to gently remove the price sticker residue. If it's a stubborn price sticker, just repeat step one again.

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:24 pm

Thanks guys I will try the Alex Fergusson process first ( Hairdryer :lol: ) see how it goes

What's the story with the white sticker on the Chewie 20 back? Were they put on all 20 backs?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:38 pm

None of the 20 / 21 backs that I have, have that white sticker.
Possibly a sticker to cover up sticker removal damage?

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Yes that's what I thought, but then again I'm sure I have read a thread on here that stated the OP was starting a run of 20 backs with the white price sticker but gave up as they were hard to find, but I may be dreaming that.
The white sticker looks aged and like it's been in situ from the beginning. Can't see any unevennesess or ridding or anything under the sticker though, I'm thinking possibly they were used to put prices on, again maybe I'm wrong, I will wait and see if anyone chips in.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:41 pm

Michael Sith wrote: I'm thinking possibly they were used to put prices on.

I think you well be right.
Last edited by Mini99 on Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Michael Sith
Grand Master
Grand Master

Postby Michael Sith » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:58 pm

The Chewie white sticker pulled away easy as pie , no hairdryers or anything and not a blemish left, I've kept the sticker though just in case, I love him and £40 all in ( as I already had the Chewie figure and bowcaster) I think is awesome for a 20 back Chewie well proud of him, especially with Han next to him. Buzzing tonight 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mini99
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Postby Mini99 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:26 pm

Michael Sith wrote:The Chewie white sticker pulled away easy as pie , no hairdryers or anything and not a blemish left, I've kept the sticker though just in case, I love him and £40 all in ( as I already had the Chewie figure and bowcaster) I think is awesome for a 20 back Chewie well proud of him, especially with Han next to him. Buzzing tonight 8)

Now I can see why you want to move the sticker on the Han card.
Both nice additions, look great.

Mrleemur
Jedi Trainee
Jedi Trainee

Postby Mrleemur » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:29 pm

I would suspect that isopropyl alcohol would be a better option than lighter fluid (that’s butane isn’t it??)

Isopropyl is what is generally used for removing sticky label gunk, and churned labels from thermal label printers.

If you want some, easiest to get hold of is Servisol Switch cleaner, you can get it at Maplin, but obvs cheaper online.

I haven’t used it on a cardback, but pretty sure I’ve used it on dvd boxsets from CEX, imagine the card on the box is similar to a card back??

Also used it to pull the sticky tape gunk from the free badge from RotJ Issue 1 (had already been separated from the comic). That now looks brand new!

Return to “Vintage Collecting Chat”